The Student Room Group

Can I transfer after Ist year at University?

Hey, I’m a first year student in Scotland. I had to move away from home due to not meeting the grades required by the university in my home city. Its not that I don’t like the university, it’s good and the people are really nice, but the rent is expensive for me as well as other bills and my family would prefer it if I was home. Is it possible to transfer university but do the same course during the year or would I have to apply through UCAS again?
Thanks
You would normally need to apply through UCAS again no matter what. You wouldn't be able to transfer into the course mid-year. It is possible you could apply for second year entry at the university in question on the basis of your first year studies at your current university, although this isn't guaranteed - you should contact the university you are considering transferring/reapplying to in order to enquire about their policies on the matter.

Note that transferring universities may affect your funding entitlement from SFE or SAAS; you should speak with the relevant funding body to see if there will be any effect on your entitlement if you go through with this.
Original post by artful_lounger
You would normally need to apply through UCAS again no matter what. You wouldn't be able to transfer into the course mid-year. It is possible you could apply for second year entry at the university in question on the basis of your first year studies at your current university, although this isn't guaranteed - you should contact the university you are considering transferring/reapplying to in order to enquire about their policies on the matter.

Note that transferring universities may affect your funding entitlement from SFE or SAAS; you should speak with the relevant funding body to see if there will be any effect on your entitlement if you go through with this.

Ok, I’ll call them up and ask, thank you👍🏼
Original post by anonymous_117
Hey, I’m a first year student in Scotland. I had to move away from home due to not meeting the grades required by the university in my home city. Its not that I don’t like the university, it’s good and the people are really nice, but the rent is expensive for me as well as other bills and my family would prefer it if I was home. Is it possible to transfer university but do the same course during the year or would I have to apply through UCAS again?
Thanks

Was it possible to resit your exams? If so that would have made more sense.
Yes you have to apply through UCAS.
Yes its possible but by no means certain they will take you. Talk to admissions at your target uni and ask them what they look for.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Original post by 999tigger
Was it possible to resit your exams? If so that would have made more sense.
Yes you have to apply through UCAS.
Yes its possible but by no means certain they will take you. Talk to admissions at your target uni and ask them what they look for.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

I wouldn’t have been able to resist my exam, I could have gone to college but I’d rather not spend two years in college. Yea I’ll talk to the admin, Thank you
Reply 5
I think u have to contact the university directly to see if they would accept you to second year or first year.
Original post by Nununu
I think u have to contact the university directly to see if they would accept you to second year or first year.

Okay, will do. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest