The Student Room Group

Medicine Gap Year help

I've not feeling very positive about my chances and hope to study medicine next year

My GCSE : 3A*, 5A's and 2Bs ( I resat 3 subjects)
A levels : Biology - A, Chemistry - A, Mathematics - A
UKCAT: 620 Band 2

What are my chances of getting into med
I'm hoping to try for liverpool, Dundee, Sunderland and Aston.
I might consider St Georges.

thanks
Your GCSEs are ok, your A levels are good and you have an average UKCAT score. I think you have a fair chance of getting in, have you done a lot of volunteering/work experience?
Reply 2
Original post by muqeet137
Your GCSEs are ok, your A levels are good and you have an average UKCAT score. I think you have a fair chance of getting in, have you done a lot of volunteering/work experience?

I intend on maximising my gap year as much as possible with work experience and i will be including this in my personal statement. I've done 1 month work experience at Headway Charity Shop and some dentistry work experience last year ( when i tried to pursue dentistry last year).

If you dont mind me asking, are you a medical grad or have you just done your a levels yourself?
Btw my GCSEs before resit was 1A*, 4As 5Bs then i resat 3 subjects and did 3A* 5As 2B.
Original post by Banshee123
I intend on maximising my gap year as much as possible with work experience and i will be including this in my personal statement. I've done 1 month work experience at Headway Charity Shop and some dentistry work experience last year ( when i tried to pursue dentistry last year).

If you dont mind me asking, are you a medical grad or have you just done your a levels yourself?
Btw my GCSEs before resit was 1A*, 4As 5Bs then i resat 3 subjects and did 3A* 5As 2B.

Just finished a levels as well but I'm going to do engineering instead. Have a lot of family and friends in medicine so I know a little amount about it. Btw, did you try clearing for medicine since there were quite a few unis in there and a friend of mine got into Aston through it with 3A's. He also had to retake English Language since he got a 5 in it first time, so I don't think you having to have retaken GCSEs should be too big of an issue.
I think you should now try perfect your PS since your application should be good enough to get the interviews.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
I've not feeling very positive about my chances and hope to study medicine next year

thanks

Liverpool likely to be OK, use GCSEs and then UCAT (recent cut offs 605 (2019 entry), 615 (last year), 640 and 625)
Dundee may be a stretch, they tend to need a higher UCAT unless exceppent academics (lots of A*s at GCSE and A levels)
Sunderland use their version of the PS, so impossible to say
Aston likely to be OK

Also look at ARU, KMMS, Edge Hill and Keele (but check they are all OK with your resits)

If you are looking to apply with achieved grades, then Leicester would interview you, Aberdeen becomes and option, and Cardiff should be OK, depending on GCSE breakdown??

thanks

Congrats on your A levels!

have you considered BMAT? You'd be quite likely to get an interview from Leeds, Lancaster or BSMS!
defo consider if you've got time to revise for it
Original post by sweetietweetie
Congrats on your A levels!

have you considered BMAT? You'd be quite likely to get an interview from Leeds, Lancaster or BSMS!
defo consider if you've got time to revise for it

I also recommend checking out the BMAT. I didn't apply to medicine during year 13 so I took a gap year sat the bmat and got in to Lancaster. It's definitely achievable just make sure your personal statement and work experience is on point. Good luck!
Reply 7
I did my A levels and did AAA. My UKCAT is good
My gcse aren't great. ( 3A*, 5A, 2B)

What unis look at gcse least for medicine.
I did my A levels and did AAA. My UKCAT is good
My gcse aren't great. ( 3A*, 5A, 2B)

What unis look at gcse least for medicine.

What score for the UCAT is considered good in your eyes?
(edited 4 years ago)

thanks

Hi there!
Congratulations on your A-level results :smile: I know it isn't on your current list, but have you considered Kent and Medway Medical School? The school is opening in September 2020 and the current entry requirements are AAB. If you're interested at all, I'll leave the link to their website here.
Good luck with your university applications and if you have any questions about Kent and Medway Medical school, please feel free to ask :biggrin:
Original post by Random_Student
What score for the UCAT is considered good in your eyes?

Not good, just good enough:redface:
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
Congratulations on your A-level results :smile: I know it isn't on your current list, but have you considered Kent and Medway Medical School? The school is opening in September 2020 and the current entry requirements are AAB. If you're interested at all, I'll leave the link to their website here.
Good luck with your university applications and if you have any questions about Kent and Medway Medical school, please feel free to ask :biggrin:

Wow, thanks for letting me know about this. With regards to GCSEs, do kent and medway Medical School rely heavily upon them. Are my chances of a successful application higher if i apply to unis that require AAA as they may not look as heavily at my GCSEs ?

This is a newly opening medical school, so are my chances of a successful application higher than applying an already established medical school ?

Thanks
Original post by GANFYD
Liverpool likely to be OK, use GCSEs and then UCAT (recent cut offs 605 (2019 entry), 615 (last year), 640 and 625)
Dundee may be a stretch, they tend to need a higher UCAT unless exceppent academics (lots of A*s at GCSE and A levels)
Sunderland use their version of the PS, so impossible to say
Aston likely to be OK

Also look at ARU, KMMS, Edge Hill and Keele (but check they are all OK with your resits)

If you are looking to apply with achieved grades, then Leicester would interview you, Aberdeen becomes and option, and Cardiff should be OK, depending on GCSE breakdown??

Hi
Do Leicester soley give offers based on interview, or will they consider my GCSE grades after interview also?
Reply 13
Hi
Do Leicester soley give offers based on interview, or will they consider my GCSE grades after interview also?

They offer solely on interview unless you are a borderline candidate, in which casr they say "Candidates in a borderline group will be further reviewed on the basis of their whole UCAS form, including academic qualifications, schools Attainment 8 score, POLAR3 score, time in local authority care, work experience, employment, reference, personal statement, and UCAT results"
Wow, thanks for letting me know about this. With regards to GCSEs, do kent and medway Medical School rely heavily upon them. Are my chances of a successful application higher if i apply to unis that require AAA as they may not look as heavily at my GCSEs ?

This is a newly opening medical school, so are my chances of a successful application higher than applying an already established medical school ?

Thanks

That's alright :smile: The only thing that the KMMS entry requirements specify about GCSEs is candidates having GCSEs A*-B and resits are totally fine. I don't really know about how other universities would treat your GCSE's though, I only really have info on KMMS entry requirements.
I don't really know if your chances would be any greater applying to KMMS as it is a new medical school, it entirely depends on the number of applicants that they receive and how interviews go, etc, which will change every year. They do have typically lower entry requirements than other medical schools though, so because of this I think that it is a more accessible course for applicants :smile: I hope that answers your questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending