The Student Room Group

Leicester A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 21

my ucat score is not in any of the brackets, nor is it below the mininmum score provided?
Reply 22
Original post by he3456
my ucat score is not in any of the brackets, nor is it below the mininmum score provided?

You need to extrapolate the scores between 29 and 17, the ones they give are examples...
Original post by he3456

yup so with every 50 point decrease I think the points/score go down by 0.5 something like that:smile:
Reply 24
Just a heads up that Leicester have just published the stats for 2019 entry and the cut off for interview for a school leaver with predicted A levels had gone up to 54.5 (53 for Internationals)
Original post by GANFYD
Just a heads up that Leicester have just published the stats for 2019 entry and the cut off for interview for a school leaver with predicted A levels had gone up to 54.5 (53 for Internationals)

Hello what was it last year 53 ?
Can I check with a UCAT of 2580 will that convert to a score of 25.5 I don’t get when it starts dropping as I know the lower bands score 16
Thankyou in advance
Reply 26
Original post by Langsett
Hello what was it last year 53 ?
Can I check with a UCAT of 2580 will that convert to a score of 25.5 I don’t get when it starts dropping as I know the lower bands score 16
Thankyou in advance

Last year it was 53.5, so gone up by 1 point.
Yes, 2580 scores 25.5
Original post by GANFYD
Last year it was 53.5, so gone up by 1 point.
Yes, 2580 scores 25.5

Can you share the link please?
Reply 28
Original post by tireddoc
Can you share the link please?

It’s on the website, or google it. Not clever enough to do it on my phone!
Hi guys
i achieved 3As in Biology chemistry and maths
got 660 in UCAT, SJT band 1
GCSE: 8A*s, 2As and 2Cs
i scored 56.5 according to the scoring system, am i good to apply to Leicester uni and where else do you reckon i can apply
Reply 30
Original post by hesherif
Hi guys
i achieved 3As in Biology chemistry and maths
got 660 in UCAT, SJT band 1
GCSE: 8A*s, 2As and 2Cs
i scored 56.5 according to the scoring system, am i good to apply to Leicester uni and where else do you reckon i can apply

If you have achieved grade of AAA, Leicester will interview you automatically. If you want advice about other medical schools, post your stats on the mega thread
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD

Apologies if silly question, but is there sometimes a pattern with universities increasing scoring thresholds as cut offs for interviews? Just wondering if Leicester raising theirs this year, could be indicative of Birmingham and Notts for example? Assume they don’t get any advance notice of UCAT interim thresholds? Suppose loads of factors influence these cut offs but what in your greater experience might it be down to?
Reply 32
Original post by Polkadot2018
Apologies if silly question, but is there sometimes a pattern with universities increasing scoring thresholds as cut offs for interviews? Just wondering if Leicester raising theirs this year, could be indicative of Birmingham and Notts for example? Assume they don’t get any advance notice of UCAT interim thresholds? Suppose loads of factors influence these cut offs but what in your greater experience might it be down to?

This is the cut off for the last cycle and we don’t know whether it will stay at this level for you guys, or go up or down.
In the whole, cut offs are determined by deciding how many people you wish to interview and counting down the ranked cut off until you have enough people to invite.
Leicester’s score going up by a point is quite a big jump, especially as ukcat average was down last year. 1 point is the equivalent of an extra GCSE grade or a 100 point increase in UCAT, and the latter is unlikely to have happened. Other than that, it may be that last year was a strong cohort - not sure there is much evidence for this - or Leicester interviewed fewer candidates, again, not aware of any evidence for this. So all it is is a guide that cut offs may be a bit higher again this year, for 2020 entry.
If I had to guess, I would say the lower UKCAT average last year meant more people with stronger GCSEs applying to Leicester, as those with middling UCATs were worried about applying to UKCAT heavy Med schools (when actually they had a score that would have made ukcat heavy cut offs)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
This is the cut off for the last cycle and we don’t know whether it will stay at this level for you guys, or go up or down.
In the whole, cut offs are determined by deciding how many people you wish to interview and counting down the ranked cut off until you have enough people to invite.
Leicester’s score going up by a point is quite a big jump, especially as ukcat average was down last year. 1 point is the equivalent of an extra GCSE grade or a 100 point increase in UCAT, and the latter is unlikely to have happened. Other than that, it may be that last year was a strong cohort - not sure there is much evidence for this - or Leicester interviewed fewer candidates, again, not aware of any evidence for this. So all it is is a guide that cut offs may be a bit higher again this year, for 2020 entry.
If I had to guess, I would say the lower UKCAT average last year meant more people with stronger GCSEs applying to Leicester, as those with middling UCATs were worried about applying to UKCAT heavy Med schools (when actually they had a score that would have made ukcat heavy cut offs)

"1 point is the equivalent of an extra GCSE grade or a 100 point increase in UCAT".. Would you please explain how did you calculate that? or this information is published in Leicester website? What is clear in their statistic that grade 9/8 gives 4 points. So how can one point is equivalent of an extra GCSE grade?
Reply 34
"1 point is the equivalent of an extra GCSE grade or a 100 point increase in UCAT".. Would you please explain how did you calculate that? or this information is published in Leicester website? What is clear in their statistic that grade 9/8 gives 4 points. So how can one point is equivalent of an extra GCSE grade?

Somebody has to go from a 6 to a 7 or a 7 to an 8/9 to increase their score by a mark. Or their UCAT score has to increase across a minimum of 52.5 to get the extra point for UCAT (I picked 100 as a nice round number which would definitely increase the score by 1 but I guess on average it would be an increase of 75)
Original post by GANFYD
Somebody has to go from a 6 to a 7 or a 7 to an 8/9 to increase their score by a mark. Or their UCAT score has to increase across a minimum of 52.5 to get the extra point for UCAT (I picked 100 as a nice round number which would definitely increase the score by 1 but I guess on average it would be an increase of 75)

So, Leicester university said that they will give additional academic credit (over GCSE achievement) by selectors at the point of shortlisting for interview for students with WP. Can you explain how academic credit can be translated into points, please ?
Reply 36
So, Leicester university said that they will give additional academic credit (over GCSE achievement) by selectors at the point of shortlisting for interview for students with WP. Can you explain how academic credit can be translated into points, please ?

No, sorry, don’t know anything about WP applicants
Original post by GANFYD
If you have achieved grade of AAA, Leicester will interview you automatically. If you want advice about other medical schools, post your stats on the mega thread

thank you!, im deffinitey going t put Leicester as one of my options
Original post by Simrankpy
I have a question..... what was the least score that you know of out of 64 that was invited for an interview last year? As I'm aware the score used to be out of 64 but now it's changed to 84 and just wanted to see whether I have a chance with a score of 70.5/84

I'm not sure sorry :smile:
Hi.
I score 56.5, and was considering applying here, but i had a change of mind between last gcse and my a-levels, so there is a 3 year gap. I did get a level 3 arts btec 2018, so it shows I haven’t been doing a-levels for 3 years, but on their website it looks like i might be excluded from applying.
I have emailed admissions but not got an answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending