The Student Room Group

Help! What to do in uni?

So, I'm currently in my second year in sixth form, studying chem, phys and maths, I was predicted BCD for my A levels, and my plan was to do a low entry but high ranked engineering course, as I thought this would give me a pretty straight forward careeer. However, for my AS I got AAA, this leaving me with much more options, leaving me very unsure of what to do, as now feel i can do anything i want (within reason). Here are some of the subjects I've been considering with my thoughts regarding them:

Physics-my favourite subject during AS, however was surprised during an open day at Lancaster how much lab work and astronomy are involved, also unsure what job i would do.

Mathematics-also enjoyed at AS level, i really enjoy what i have learned is applied maths during my physics course. Again, unsure what job I would get.

Engineering-i know engineering is very broad, so i think i would apply for a general engineering course. My problem here is that i believe engineering might be less fun. Also less high earning (not something i care too much about).

Architecture-i have always had an interest in buildings, and like the idea of designing things that are not only practical but aesthetically pleasing. Overall i think this would be the most fun degree. My concern is that my art isn't very strong, and drawing isn't something i do for fun, and i have limited ability (grade A at GCSE is as far as it goes). Also concerned about how much need for architects there is.

Accounting-no interest at all in accounting, however know that it is a good career. However i know that it might be very boring.

Any help on my thought process would be grately appreciated. And anyone who has any idea which of these would be best. Sorry that this has been so long thankyou to anyone that read this far.
Original post by Guy673340
So, I'm currently in my second year in sixth form, studying chem, phys and maths, I was predicted BCD for my A levels, and my plan was to do a low entry but high ranked engineering course, as I thought this would give me a pretty straight forward careeer. However, for my AS I got AAA, this leaving me with much more options, leaving me very unsure of what to do, as now feel i can do anything i want (within reason). Here are some of the subjects I've been considering with my thoughts regarding them:

Physics-my favourite subject during AS, however was surprised during an open day at Lancaster how much lab work and astronomy are involved, also unsure what job i would do.

Mathematics-also enjoyed at AS level, i really enjoy what i have learned is applied maths during my physics course. Again, unsure what job I would get.

Engineering-i know engineering is very broad, so i think i would apply for a general engineering course. My problem here is that i believe engineering might be less fun. Also less high earning (not something i care too much about).

Architecture-i have always had an interest in buildings, and like the idea of designing things that are not only practical but aesthetically pleasing. Overall i think this would be the most fun degree. My concern is that my art isn't very strong, and drawing isn't something i do for fun, and i have limited ability (grade A at GCSE is as far as it goes). Also concerned about how much need for architects there is.

Accounting-no interest at all in accounting, however know that it is a good career. However i know that it might be very boring.

Any help on my thought process would be grately appreciated. And anyone who has any idea which of these would be best. Sorry that this has been so long thankyou to anyone that read this far.

Hey,

First of all, well done on getting 3 As, those are amazing grades to get at AS! I think there are obviously many choices you can go for and there's no one more suited than yourself to pick the course that you think will be best, so I think you should just pick the course that gives you the best feeling. I know that's vague, but you shouldn't choose a course just because it has the highest scope for earnings or for future opportunities, there should be a mix of interest, suitable difficulty as well as fun and potential earnings.

Since you think that accounting might be very boring, I'd advise you to stay clear, because no one wants to have a career in a field that they hate.

In relation to Physics, this could be a good choice because you enjoy it and there are some job opportunities such as being a Geophysicist, Meteorologist, Nanotechnologist or even a Research Scientist.

Architecture is a good degree and there are some very good universities for it, to combat your worries about your limited drawing ability you could get some drawing lessons to try and improve; I'm sure you won't be too far off as an A in GCSE art is a very good grade and your job opportunities will still be high as architecture firms often land contracts with big businesses to help them carry out expansions as well as other things.

I'm not too sure on Maths, but having a Maths degree is something that could probably give you a lot of knowledge that could help you land some decent jobs in the future.

Once again, with engineering you could land a job at an engineering firm - I have a friend whose brother works at Rolls Royce and ended up becoming a Project Manager. If you feel as if there will be more work required than you're willing to put in, maybe look into it further and maybe try and speak to current Engineering students or graduates about their experiences.

By the sounds of things, Economics sounds like something you'd enjoy and there are some good job opportunities for it as well as a lot of knowledge that you'll learn from it that you can apply to things such as the stock market, and on top of that, there is some maths mixed in. I'd recommend looking into it if it sounds like something that you'd be interested in.

Overall, you'll need to weigh up the pros and cons of all the potential courses on your mind and decide, because no one is in a better position to pick a course than you
Thanks so much for your reply. Helps a lot! have ruled out accounting, and will be visiting a civil engineering company to possibly rule it out. I have been watching economics lectures online and find them to be very interesting therefore i am considering the subject. Thankyou again!
Thanks so much for your reply. Helps a lot! have ruled out accounting, and will be visiting a civil engineering company to possibly rule it out. I have been watching economics lectures online and find them to be very interesting therefore i am considering the subject. Thankyou again!

yeah i'd say you can go into accounting without a degree in it so rule it out for now. All the others seem like good options :smile:
Original post by replyplzbish
yeah i'd say you can go into accounting without a degree in it so rule it out for now. All the others seem like good options :smile:

Thanks! :smile:

If you like Physics you should look at Automotive, Mechanical or Motorsport Engineering -
Original post by Muttley79
If you like Physics you should look at Automotive, Mechanical or Motorsport Engineering -

Thankyou, will look into it. What are your thoughts on a genral engineering course (e.g Edinburgh),?
Thankyou, will look into it. What are your thoughts on a genral engineering course (e.g Edinburgh),?

It depends on why you choose it - maybe explore the modules of these degrees to see what inspires you? I'd go on some Open Days as well to find out more about what you will be studying.
Original post by Muttley79
It depends on why you choose it - maybe explore the modules of these degrees to see what inspires you? I'd go on some Open Days as well to find out more about what you will be studying.

yes thats basically why i would choose it. Im going on an open day at Sheffield and Edinburgh next month so hopefully I'll get more of an idea there. Thanks for your help.
Original post by WolfofGatsby
Hey,

First of all, well done on getting 3 As, those are amazing grades to get at AS! I think there are obviously many choices you can go for and there's no one more suited than yourself to pick the course that you think will be best, so I think you should just pick the course that gives you the best feeling. I know that's vague, but you shouldn't choose a course just because it has the highest scope for earnings or for future opportunities, there should be a mix of interest, suitable difficulty as well as fun and potential earnings.

Since you think that accounting might be very boring, I'd advise you to stay clear, because no one wants to have a career in a field that they hate.

In relation to Physics, this could be a good choice because you enjoy it and there are some job opportunities such as being a Geophysicist, Meteorologist, Nanotechnologist or even a Research Scientist.

Architecture is a good degree and there are some very good universities for it, to combat your worries about your limited drawing ability you could get some drawing lessons to try and improve; I'm sure you won't be too far off as an A in GCSE art is a very good grade and your job opportunities will still be high as architecture firms often land contracts with big businesses to help them carry out expansions as well as other things.

I'm not too sure on Maths, but having a Maths degree is something that could probably give you a lot of knowledge that could help you land some decent jobs in the future.

Once again, with engineering you could land a job at an engineering firm - I have a friend whose brother works at Rolls Royce and ended up becoming a Project Manager. If you feel as if there will be more work required than you're willing to put in, maybe look into it further and maybe try and speak to current Engineering students or graduates about their experiences.

By the sounds of things, Economics sounds like something you'd enjoy and there are some good job opportunities for it as well as a lot of knowledge that you'll learn from it that you can apply to things such as the stock market, and on top of that, there is some maths mixed in. I'd recommend looking into it if it sounds like something that you'd be interested in.

Overall, you'll need to weigh up the pros and cons of all the potential courses on your mind and decide, because no one is in a better position to pick a course than you

Hi, just wanted to thank you for your advice so long ago, got my offer for Economics at LSE today, your comment changed my career path completely, thankyou!
Hi, just wanted to thank you for your advice so long ago, got my offer for Economics at LSE today, your comment changed my career path completely, thankyou!

Hey, that's absolutely incredible, well done! LSE is literally one of the best universities in the country in general and for Economics, so your employability will be very high - I hope you enjoy university and your course

I just finished first year, so just shout at me if there's anything you'd like to know about university life or anything else. Best of luck for the future!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending