The Student Room Group

what to do if im alone at lunch? I feel so embarrased

as above

Scroll to see replies

Okay.
Dont worry.
I'm a 17 y/o guy, and I'm pretty good looking - not coming from me, I just get it all the time.
In the months I was at college, I sat everyday on my own at lunch, sometimes for more than 3 hours in my frees.
Its embarrassing yeah, but i learnt to enjoy my own company.
If that's not what you're planning on, and you want to find friends, I really regret not doing this, you need to put yourself out there.
The only ever person that sat with me once was a hot girl, but that was just once.
If you want to be with friends or in a group permanently, just ask - can I sit with you?
That's what she did to me and I didnt object.
Think of it from others points of view.
I don't know if any of the above helps, but dont be embarrassed. This wont last forever - you know that.
play on your phone.
Reply 3
Original post by Apachecow
play on your phone.

For 2/3 hours ? I live far so can’t go home
Original post by tester2002
Okay.
Dont worry.
I'm a 17 y/o guy, and I'm pretty good looking - not coming from me, I just get it all the time.
In the months I was at college, I sat everyday on my own at lunch, sometimes for more than 3 hours in my frees.
Its embarrassing yeah, but i learnt to enjoy my own company.
If that's not what you're planning on, and you want to find friends, I really regret not doing this, you need to put yourself out there.
The only ever person that sat with me once was a hot girl, but that was just once.
If you want to be with friends or in a group permanently, just ask - can I sit with you?
That's what she did to me and I didnt object.
Think of it from others points of view.
I don't know if any of the above helps, but dont be embarrassed. This wont last forever - you know that.

same im alrgiht looking/good but since my mates r in different classes im forced to make friends.i could probably only approach someone whos alone or 2. but i couldnt do a group.

our a level subjects are good convo starters. cant think of anymore. i'll firstly try make friends with ppl in my lass. if it fails idrc
Original post by Anonymous

tbh u can. just listen to music and eat ur food super slow or just watch something. i go home if i have the rest of the day off. like mondays i fnish 10:30
Why have 2 separate people felt the need to mention that they are good-looking😂

split the time up. spend some time eating, some time walking around, some time playing with your phone, find a desk and rest your head for a while.

no need to be embarrassed, a lot of people eat alone nowadays. i spent my whole school, college and uni years being alone at lunch and now even my work lunch breaks are the same. no one really cares.
Why have 2 separate people felt the need to mention that they are good-looking😂

haha its the assumption that good looking people must always be surrounded by people
Original post by Delusion6
haha its the assumption that good looking people must always be surrounded by people

Really bizarre 😂
as above

Honestly, I had this problem When I use to be in school. I didn’t like any of them, I just didn’t get on with them as I felt I was on a different maturity level(it was one for people who get kicked out) don’t get me wrong I’ve done childish daft things but over all as a person I was quite mature!
I felt embarrassed.. but I seen it as I’d rather sit on my own than with a bunch of people I don’t take to.
whats your situation? Are you getting bullied? What? It’ll all be okay don’t worry. Try mixing more if that’s what you want to do.
Find somewhere to sit down, eat, bring something to entertain yourself with.
Well eating is smth you can always do alone, there's a start. Assuming that doesn't take up the entire time, bring something to do: Work, your phone, a nintendo switch, yknow whatever can fill the time.

If you're alone doing a thing that doesn't look like it needs company then you'll look like it was the plan all along, and people will respect that hustle. No need for embarrassment.
Go to the library, do something on the phone, walk around the local area if there is a town centre.
Today was my first day , I didn’t make any friends tbh, just simple chat in my classes about work but nothing much , also teacher decided to make a rude remark about me . Then I had 2 hours and a half spare time but I live too far to go home . I spent it alone in the canteen when many others are in groups of 7/8 ( I don’t know anybody there ) I don’t think I could continue if it remains like this
if i had to sit alone i just went to the student lounge, library, or hung out with a teacher or bunked off entirely like "**** this place" :cyber:

but that was only when i was new, most times i didnt have to sit alone

as an adult i eat alone at like lunch hour cos that's MY time. i HATE when coworkers come in and start CHATTING. like ***** i seen you ALL DAY can u **** off pls. i just ignore em haha. i also eat for a quick bite alone between errands at chippies. :yy:
Today was my first day , I didn’t make any friends tbh, just simple chat in my classes about work but nothing much , also teacher decided to make a rude remark about me . Then I had 2 hours and a half spare time but I live too far to go home . I spent it alone in the canteen when many others are in groups of 7/8 ( I don’t know anybody there ) I don’t think I could continue if it remains like this

Are you a person with Special needs or a disability? if you are, it will be impossible for you to make friends. Do you have friends outside of education? again if you don't have friends at all, then i doubt u will make friends. From experience i know, as i'm living a lonely life and it making me ultra manic.

If your a normal human being, don't be worried, things take time :smile:
Original post by Quiet Benin
Are you a person with Special needs or a disability? if you are, it will be impossible for you to make friends. Do you have friends outside of education? again if you don't have friends at all, then i doubt u will make friends. From experience i know, as i'm living a lonely life and it making me ultra manic.

If your a normal human being, don't be worried, things take time :smile:

No I’m not disabled . I have quite a few friends out of school. But I went to a college without knowing anyone
No I’m not disabled . I have quite a few friends out of school. But I went to a college without knowing anyone

Are there any other people you've seen around that appear to be new, too? Or people that are alone who you can tell do not know anyone at the college?
I'd recommend mixing with these people as they're definitely looking for companionship too. Maybe just for 1st term. After that once you've found your feet and gotten to know people better, you could branch out into becoming friends with people who you know share interests with you & whatnot.
If you see someone alone who appears new too, for now, just go right up, introduce yourself & ask whether they'd like to spend time together - they definitely would!
Nothing to be embarassed about - it isnt rare to not know anyone/ have anyone to hang with on the first day
hang in there, itll get better :smile:
Original post by confuzzledteen
Are there any other people you've seen around that appear to be new, too? Or people that are alone who you can tell do not know anyone at the college?
I'd recommend mixing with these people as they're definitely looking for companionship too. Maybe just for 1st term. After that once you've found your feet and gotten to know people better, you could branch out into becoming friends with people who you know share interests with you & whatnot.
If you see someone alone who appears new too, for now, just go right up, introduce yourself & ask whether they'd like to spend time together - they definitely would!
Nothing to be embarassed about - it isnt rare to not know anyone/ have anyone to hang with on the first day
hang in there, itll get better :smile:

Thank you but I’m really praying it gets better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending