The Student Room Group

Best number of weeks for uni accommodation

I have been given 42 weeks. Is this a lot? I thought it was usually like 33 weeks or something? It ends on 7th July so maybe I'll just stay there for a couple of extra weeks and explore the area a little.

I'm guessing the difference is I can stay there during the holidays. Is that good or bad?
Original post by Anonymous
I have been given 42 weeks. Is this a lot? I thought it was usually like 33 weeks or something? It ends on 7th July so maybe I'll just stay there for a couple of extra weeks and explore the area a little.

I'm guessing the difference is I can stay there during the holidays. Is that good or bad?

its a good thing if you find a job and don't want to go back home/ can't get the time off.
42 weeks is pretty standard, that will typically cover fresher's week until mid-July (about graduation time at a lot of universities).

31 weeks is the standard length of the academic year (including fresher's) but that excludes holidays which will be anything from 4 to 8 weeks before the end of the year at most universities. The extra weeks at the end of the year are for whatever you want, typically contracts for private housing will start around the beginning of July so this gives you an opportunity to move your belongings to your new home. A lot of people also stick around to hang out with their uni friends. It also ends then so they can use the rooms for people coming for summer schools, and gives them time to clean and redecorate.

Don't worry too much about the length, the price would be the same even if you were given a 31 week contract where you have to leave during the holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending