Anxious about living in my own flat for uni Watch

OliveBoot431
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’m staying in my dads flat what he owns for work as it’s right near the university and he kindly said I don’t have to pay rent which is extremely kind of him. I’m abit nervous about meeting new people and telling them I’ve got my own flat payed for as I don’t want to seem spoilt as that is not the case at all. Will it be hard making new friends being in my own flat? And are there any people who have been in similar situations?
Last edited by OliveBoot431; 4 weeks ago
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So are you staying with your Dad??
OliveBoot431
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
So are you staying with your Dad??
Yeah sorry should of mentioned that, no he’s going to my mums
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OliveBoot431)
Yeah sorry should of mentioned that, no he’s going to my mums
It’ll be fine then. Obviously most people will be paying themselves but no ones gonna treat you differently coz you don’t. Just make sure you go out and find people to go out with
OliveBoot431
Rep:
?
Thanks man, do u think it will be hard making friends not living in the halls?
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OliveBoot431)
Thanks man, do u think it will be hard making friends not living in the halls?
I’m staying at home myself, starting uni next week, but people have told me to join societies and you’ll be fine
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Well any people you meet don't need to know your dad owns the flat you're in do they?

Just say you couldn't get into halls and you're renting this one and family is helping what they can with the bills or something if you're concerned what people will think.

Also I don't recommend societies. Drop out rate after first 2-3 meetings is high and those first few sessions are always awkward and not relaxing, but YMMV. Honestly best bet is make friends on the course.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Well any people you meet don't need to know your dad owns the flat you're in do they?

Just say you couldn't get into halls and you're renting this one and family is helping what they can with the bills or something if you're concerned what people will think.

Also I don't recommend societies. Drop out rate after first 2-3 meetings is high and those first few sessions are always awkward and not relaxing, but YMMV. Honestly best bet is make friends on the course.
Doesn't really matter that people drop out. Find a society you actually enjoy and people will keep attending and those will be your friends.

OP you'll be fine. I wouldn't tell people uour dad is giving you the flat. Just say you wanted your own space or got a bad halls room you didn't want and your parents are helping out a bit. People don't care all that much what others do. You'll have to make more effort to make friends but just try and find people off yuoir course on fb and ask them if you can go out with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads