The Student Room Group

A level film studies or english language

Hi
Im deciding to choose between english language or film studies and i am hoping to get the best grades that i can in my a levels. I am either deciding between doing something in law or the tv industry as a career but still deciding.
Many thanks
Original post by Zara_qwe
Hi
Im deciding to choose between english language or film studies and i am hoping to get the best grades that i can in my a levels. I am either deciding between doing something in law or the tv industry as a career but still deciding.
Many thanks

Hi there,

Both of these subjects would be useful for a career in the TV industry. For Law I would say the English would be more beneficial as it is a strong academic subject.

Is there any possibility of choosing both to keep your degree options open?

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 2
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Both of these subjects would be useful for a career in the TV industry. For Law I would say the English would be more beneficial as it is a strong academic subject.

Is there any possibility of choosing both to keep your degree options open?

Thanks - Sophie.

so currently i do history and sociology for my a levels. If i have the chance to have 4 subjects i would choose both english and film studies. Im really hoping to get the best grades I can at a level but im not very sure which one would be best as wold enjoy them both.
thanks
Original post by Zara_qwe
so currently i do history and sociology for my a levels. If i have the chance to have 4 subjects i would choose both english and film studies. Im really hoping to get the best grades I can at a level but im not very sure which one would be best as wold enjoy them both.
thanks

Some colleges/sixth forms will let you do four subjects but it can be quite a big workload, you would need to think if this is something you would feel confident about.

The best advice I can offer to help you make a well informed decision is to start researching both law degrees and TV/Film degrees and the entry requirements to see if they require specific A-level subjects and if they do which ones are they. You can do this on a website called UCAS - https://www.ucas.com/

It's very difficult to say you should be doing this subject over that one because all universities are different and have different entry requirements. In my experience of law degrees they generally don't set any specific subjects just a certain number of UCAS points whereas anything related to journalism or TV/Film production they like to have specific A-levels like English or media studies.

I hope doing some research on UCAS helps you to make a decision that is right for you.

Good luck - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest