The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Does Warwick still have a rape culture?

I’m thinking of applying for law but I’m worried about the student welfare at Warwick in regards to how they handled the rape chat scandal and whether there still is a rape culture there. Anyone who goes to Warwick or anyone who has any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Bump
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I'm not sure if it was so much a rape culture, rather than a select group of terrible people followed by poor handling of the situation by the university. The chance of the same thing happening again, I would imagine, is just as likely as it is in Warwick than it would be in any other university. If anything, hopefully Warwick has learned it's lesson and is now more vigilant in order to prevent such a thing from happening again.
Original post by powerpuff674
I’m thinking of applying for law but I’m worried about the student welfare at Warwick in regards to how they handled the rape chat scandal and whether there still is a rape culture there. Anyone who goes to Warwick or anyone who has any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thank you :smile:

Rape culture? There are about 25,000 students at Warwick and you are making a conclusion based on a handful of students?
Good god
There was never a rape culture in the first place.
Reply 6
Theres no such thing as rape culture in western culture.

It's not really fair on all the other students at Warwick who did absolutely nothing wrong to say they have a "rape culture" there. All unis have horrible things happen occasionally, it's a community and bad things happen as well as good. I think Warwick has an excellent reputation for Law.

Would you like this thread moved to the Law forum btw?
There is no rape culture and never was.
Reply 9
How do people even believe such thing as a rape culture exists?
Original post by Daigan
Don't be such a triggered snowflake. There's no such thing as 'rape culture' and when people like you make such stupid remarks, it make things more difficult for victims of rape to be believed. Grow up!

OP is an anxious applicant. Cut them some slack.

In answer to the question, there was a highly publicised group chat where people made highly inappropriate jokes. There was no suggestion this correlated with actual sexual misconduct, nor that there was a culture of either making such jokes or misconduct amongst the student body.
(edited 4 years ago)
Been watching too much 13 Reasons Why, I see.
Ok wow I wasn’t really expecting such hostile responses. I was simply not sure because I read the horrible things that happened on the chat about gang rape and genital mutilation and these are such serious issues and I wasn’t sure whether anyone felt that people like this still existed at Warwick. I was more worried about how the university handled it as the girl who was targeted actually had to sit next to the boys in her university exams and I felt that this was extremely unnecessary and showed that Warwick didn’t take the matter as seriously as was required. I’m not sorry that I want to make informed decisions about my future! And I think that the way a lot of people are responding to my question is entirely unnecessary as rape is such a serious topic and it needs to be taken seriously

Edit: everyone is getting triggered by the term ‘rape culture’ so the new title is ‘has Warwick recovered from the rape chat scandal?’. I’m just asking because I want to know what current students think, I mean no offence to anyone and want to clarify this. I just want to make correct and informed decisions about my future. Ok, rant over!
Original post by Daigan
Don't be such a triggered snowflake. There's no such thing as 'rape culture' and when people like you make such stupid remarks, it make things more difficult for victims of rape to be believed. Grow up!

I think that the level of hostility in this post is extremely unnecessary. I just wasn’t sure and wanted to make sure that the university has implemented safeguards in place to make sure that what happened never happens again. There is no need to call me a ‘triggered snowflake’ or any other derogatory remark, I think that you are the one that needs to grow up.
There never was a rape culture. It was a group chat with a handful of students. I'm not defending their actions, but in private settings, especially with friends, saying outrageous and offensive things for humour is not exactly uncommon, and you don't need to spend long on the internet to see that. I'd seriously doubt that their words were intersecting with their actual motivations in reality. Regardless, I believe that the particular group was dealt with.
Okay I am going to give a serious answer.

Disclaimer: I am not a student of Warwick or and Uni for that matter.

There isn't a rape culture in any uni per-se. Do rapes happen at Warwick? I can unfortunately 99% guarantee yes, but it is the same at any uni. Wether Warwick has higher rape statistic, I am unsure- isn't the sort of thing they publish. Though I imagine it is the same for any uni. So if you are afraid, or unsure of Warwick for fear of sexual assualt, then you would be unsure of all unis surely. If it is a uni you think is good for you then apply there, you can always turn it down later.

On another note: I imagine that Warwick is probably on high alert for this type of thing -as should all unis and really anywhere- so it is probably less likely to happen as they don't want a scandal like that to happen again.
Original post by Wired_1800
Rape culture? There are about 25,000 students at Warwick and you are making a conclusion based on a handful of stupid students? Is that how you make decisions in your life? You might have lost so many great opportunities based on you jumping to conclusions.

Original post by YaliaV
Good god

Original post by Andrew97
There was never a rape culture in the first place.

Original post by jbrdodd
Theres no such thing as rape culture in western culture.

Original post by harrysbar
It's not really fair on all the other students at Warwick who did absolutely nothing wrong to say they have a "rape culture" there. All unis have horrible things happen occasionally, it's a community and bad things happen as well as good. I think Warwick has an excellent reputation for Law.

Would you like this thread moved to the Law forum btw?

Original post by DarthRoar
There is no rape culture and never was.

Original post by The Mogg
How do people even believe such thing as a rape culture exists?

Original post by Daigan

I had read this article - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/education/2019/jul/14/warwick-university-not-safe-says-woman-targeted-by-chat - which says that Warwick university is not a safe place to study so I just wanted to clarify whether this was true. I apologise for my use of the term ‘rape culture’ as It probably wasn’t the best term to use. But I do not apologise for wanting to make sure that as a young woman, I study at a place that is safe and protects its students, and from what I had read on the news this did not seem to be the case.
I had read this article - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/education/2019/jul/14/warwick-university-not-safe-says-woman-targeted-by-chat - which says that Warwick university is not a safe place to study so I just wanted to clarify whether this was true. I apologise for my use of the term ‘rape culture’ as It probably wasn’t the best term to use. But I do not apologise for wanting to make sure that as a young woman, I study at a place that is safe and protects its students, and from what I had read on the news this did not seem to be the case.

Don't use that article to make a conclusion. There are articles that have attacked Cambridge University for not properly supporting female victims of sexual assault. Such a claim wont stop people wanting or going up to study.

Dont miss the chance to study at a really good uni based on such articles.

They were quoting the student, not making a statement of such certainty on the matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending