The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships

I am 21 can I still do an apprenticeship after failing university? Which is the best way to apply?
Hmm I’m not sure - for me, a lot of people in my cohort dropped uni after a year or two and didn’t even finish which for me, is the same as failing or not getting a great grade. You may have to email apprenticeship companies to ask first before applying. Because they’ll look at your cv and you’re not gonna NOT put down uni otherwise there’ll be a 3 year gap and they could ask you why that is.

Also it Depends on which apprenticeships you want to do. Gov.uk usually have them as well. Or just type in ‘apprenticeships for [whatever you wanaa do] and see what comes up.
Original post by 21ForEva
Hmm I’m not sure - for me, a lot of people in my cohort dropped uni after a year or two and didn’t even finish which for me, is the same as failing or not getting a great grade. You may have to email apprenticeship companies to ask first before applying. Because they’ll look at your cv and you’re not gonna NOT put down uni otherwise there’ll be a 3 year gap and they could ask you why that is.

Also it Depends on which apprenticeships you want to do. Gov.uk usually have them as well. Or just type in ‘apprenticeships for [whatever you wanaa do] and see what comes up.

You're right, I'm going to do that but they then might refuse me because I failed uni :frown: life. Also thank you
Original post by pinkypretty_x
You're right, I'm going to do that but they then might refuse me because I failed uni :frown: life. Also thank you

Ooh you could just write your emails under a completely random email address or just get a friend or sibling to write the email.
Hi,

I failed pretty badly at my GCSE however i still put on my CV that I attended Sixth Form, its all in the way you word it in the interview, you don't have to tell them you failed necessarily. You could just say you felt uni wasn't working for you and you would rather do hands on training and get a qualification that way.

I'm 24 and on my second apprenticeship and my partner is 29 is in the process of getting one too, there is no age limit on them however employers do tend to favour younger people, mainly for payment reasons I think.
Original post by StitchMeow
Hi,

I failed pretty badly at my GCSE however i still put on my CV that I attended Sixth Form, its all in the way you word it in the interview, you don't have to tell them you failed necessarily. You could just say you felt uni wasn't working for you and you would rather do hands on training and get a qualification that way.

I'm 24 and on my second apprenticeship and my partner is 29 is in the process of getting one too, there is no age limit on them however employers do tend to favour younger people, mainly for payment reasons I think.

HEY,
Thank you so much I have literally been sitting everyday crying lol. Do you have to pay for apprenticeships ?
I have never heard of someone paying for an apprenticeship, most companies get government incentives to hire them and the pay is usually covered in their budget to.

I would say see if you can get one done through a college or education company (like JGA, Skillsnet) that way if your placement is bad you can see if you can move to another business whilst continuing your apprenticeship.
Original post by StitchMeow
I have never heard of someone paying for an apprenticeship, most companies get government incentives to hire them and the pay is usually covered in their budget to.

I would say see if you can get one done through a college or education company (like JGA, Skillsnet) that way if your placement is bad you can see if you can move to another business whilst continuing your apprenticeship.

Thank you for your help, I only asked because I saw one that said £600 which is a lot I don't have that much :frown:
I also asked because they may reject me as I took out Student Finance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending