Best a levels for a chem/history degree? Watch

nidgethesquidge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am v v indecisive and I'm in my first week of a levels (currently bio chem maths and history) and now that I've definitely decided medicine/biochem lab research isn't for me,so at uni I'm considering either a chemistry or history course...

we will drop a subject and I'm sure ill keep maths but rn I have the option to swap biology for English lit (by catching up on a lot of reading!! -tess of the d'urbervilles and mrs dalloway) but am unsure about the change. I enjoyed English lit at gcse and got a good grade but I don't really read in my free time and have heard a level is v different.

If I do take English and and I don't drop it, is it more beneficial to have another essay writing subject when applying for history at top unis or is it just as acceptable to apply with history and two sciences??

Thanks for any advice,
a very anxious year 12
Last edited by nidgethesquidge; 1 month ago
Rouge1234
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,
Why don't you attend some English lessons in your frees as a taster? As it is still the beginning of the school year, I am sure your sixth form would be more than happy for you try some lessons before you commit.
I currently am in year 13, and do bio, chem and history. I attended some Eng Lit lessons before sticking with history. As you've mentioned, Eng Lit is quite different in A-Level compared to GCSE - I got a 9 in Eng Lit and 8 in Eng Lang and decided A-Level English wasn't for me.
Are you planning to continue with 4 A-Levels? If not, why don't you do 2 sciences (chem and maths/bio with history). If you do plan to continue all 4, I think it would be more beneficial for you to have 3 science subjects under your belt as Chemistry degrees tend to want at least one other science apart from chem itself. Whereas History degrees, usually only want History. This will enable you to keep both options open.
I suggest you look at the entry requirements for unis your are planning to do either chem or history in, to see if you fit their criteria.
Good luck!
nidgethesquidge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rouge1234)
Hey,
Why don't you attend some English lessons in your frees as a taster? As it is still the beginning of the school year, I am sure your sixth form would be more than happy for you try some lessons before you commit.
I currently am in year 13, and do bio, chem and history. I attended some Eng Lit lessons before sticking with history. As you've mentioned, Eng Lit is quite different in A-Level compared to GCSE - I got a 9 in Eng Lit and 8 in Eng Lang and decided A-Level English wasn't for me.
Are you planning to continue with 4 A-Levels? If not, why don't you do 2 sciences (chem and maths/bio with history). If you do plan to continue all 4, I think it would be more beneficial for you to have 3 science subjects under your belt as Chemistry degrees tend to want at least one other science apart from chem itself. Whereas History degrees, usually only want History. This will enable you to keep both options open.
I suggest you look at the entry requirements for unis your are planning to do either chem or history in, to see if you fit their criteria.
Good luck!
hi,
thanks for the advice, ill ask my school and see if I can arrange something! I'm planning on only continuing with three as I don't want to put myself under unnecessary pressure as I've been told unis tend to only look at three? and after consulting with some friends I think that considering I'm not much of a reader and I want to keep up essay writing sticking with my current choices seems like the best choice!
Considering we are taking similar a levels, what are your post sixth form plans - medicine?
Rouge1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nidgethesquidge)
hi,
thanks for the advice, ill ask my school and see if I can arrange something! I'm planning on only continuing with three as I don't want to put myself under unnecessary pressure as I've been told unis tend to only look at three? and after consulting with some friends I think that considering I'm not much of a reader and I want to keep up essay writing sticking with my current choices seems like the best choice!
Considering we are taking similar a levels, what are your post sixth form plans - medicine?
Hey,
Unis tend to give offers based on 3 A-levels, with the majority giving offers based on only 3. I think you should check with your exams officer to see if your sixth form allow AS exams (Mine only allowed it for some subjects such as Applied Science). Otherwise, it would be a waste for you to do 4, when you could concentrate fully on 3 getting a good set of mock results.
My initial plan was med, but I did terribly in my UCAT (620,B2) So, I am currently scrambling around trying to find which unis would take me in. Hopefully I won't have to have a shift in my career plan!
nidgethesquidge
Rep:
?
Hey,
Unis tend to give offers based on 3 A-levels, with the majority giving offers based on only 3. I think you should check with your exams officer to see if your sixth form allow AS exams (Mine only allowed it for some subjects such as Applied Science). Otherwise, it would be a waste for you to do 4, when you could concentrate fully on 3 getting a good set of mock results.
My initial plan was med, but I did terribly in my UCAT (620,B2) So, I am currently scrambling around trying to find which unis would take me in. Hopefully I won't have to have a shift in my career plan!
ah ok thanks
good luck and I'm sure you'll end up somewhere fantastic!
replyplzbish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,
I got a lot lower than that in UKCAT and got 4 interviews and 3 offers. If your gcses and a levels are good maybe go for cardiff leicester keele. Maybe plymouth, QUB. New med schools like anglia ruskin, sunderland, lincoln will probably be a bit less competitive too.
Rouge1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by replyplzbish)
I got a lot lower than that in UKCAT and got 4 interviews and 3 offers. If your gcses and a levels are good maybe go for cardiff leicester keele. Maybe plymouth, QUB. New med schools like anglia ruskin, sunderland, lincoln will probably be a bit less competitive too.
Wow, 3 offers!
My stats are as follows:
GCSEs - 2 grade 9s, 4 grade 8s, 5 grade 7 (basically, 6 A*s and 5 As)
A-Level Predictions - A*A*A* (bio, chem, history)
I am currently thinking of Keele, HYMS, Liverpool, QUB, Plymouth and Aberdeen.
Which unis did you apply for? Where did you end up going?

Thanks
replyplzbish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow, 3 offers!
My stats are as follows:
GCSEs - 2 grade 9s, 4 grade 8s, 5 grade 7 (basically, 6 A*s and 5 As)
A-Level Predictions - A*A*A* (bio, chem, history)
I am currently thinking of Keele, HYMS, Liverpool, QUB, Plymouth and Aberdeen.
Which unis did you apply for? Where did you end up going?

Thanks
wow well done, I think you stand a good chance. Double check with these unis how many A*s they need on their website. I don't know much about any of the ones you listed. I'll DM you saying where i'M going cos don't wanna say publicly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
27.22%
No (123)
72.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed