The Student Room Group

Laptop recommendations for university repost

Posted this already on technology forum but I thought that I should put it on here for other university students to see/give advice.

I need help please as I would like to buy a laptop for university but I’m struggling to find a laptop as I don’t know what to look for or how much RAM/ GB I need etc.

As it’s for university, I’ll be using the laptop to write all my essays, but would like a laptop where I easily can watch Netflix/nowtv, browse the internet, YouTube etc.

I have a budget of up to £600 but if I can get one cheaper at around £400 then that would be great.

Any help would be great thank you!!!
Reply 1
For general use like that you probably don't need to spend that much, if you take a look at somewhere like currys.co.uk you can search by various specs. There's also a site called microdream where you can by refurbished laptops from.
In addition to a laptop I'd recommend getting a dictaphone to record your lectures, it's really helpful to listen back sometimes and means you can pay attention to the class instead of scribbling notes down.
Original post by Anonymous
Posted this already on technology forum but I thought that I should put it on here for other university students to see/give advice.

I need help please as I would like to buy a laptop for university but I’m struggling to find a laptop as I don’t know what to look for or how much RAM/ GB I need etc.

As it’s for university, I’ll be using the laptop to write all my essays, but would like a laptop where I easily can watch Netflix/nowtv, browse the internet, YouTube etc.

I have a budget of up to £600 but if I can get one cheaper at around £400 then that would be great.

Any help would be great thank you!!!

Hello!

Regarding Laptops for university (Essay writing and Netflix) you shouldn't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money. For general use as you've described you should easily get a solid laptop for around £400. I personally would recommend Dell and Lenovo, they look fairly sleek and are very consistent (my uncle even recommended me them and his business is building/repairing computers for a living).

As Cam777 suggested it is worth looking at a local store such as Currys. This helps narrow down options and make it a bit more manageable for you. I had a quick look in currys and the dell website for you and I found these two Dell laptops.

These two should be really useful for what you need them for. The downside/upside to them are that they use an SSD for storage rather than HDD. SSDs are faster but you get around 128gb or 256gb in storage rather than 1TB.

- If you want a bit more storage but don't mind it not being a 2019 product then this should be really good as a choice. It is reliable, fast and decent storage - Dell

- The newer versions like this one which are faster and the latest models have less storage for you but this one is in your price range (smaller SSD size of 128gb), whilst annoying you can always use an external hard drive in the future if you need extra space. If you are looking for the most up to date computer and speed this is actually pretty good as it has been reduced!

Both of these options (with proper use) should be fast enough and durable enough at least for the three years you are looking for them to for university. I personally bought a Lenovo laptop for university back in July 2015 and it is still going strong hence why I recommend these brands. If these aren't a top pick I hope it at least gives you a reference for the spec you could look for. :smile:

Best of luck!

Patrick :lep:
Reply 3
Original post by cam777
For general use like that you probably don't need to spend that much, if you take a look at somewhere like currys.co.uk you can search by various specs. There's also a site called microdream where you can by refurbished laptops from.
In addition to a laptop I'd recommend getting a dictaphone to record your lectures, it's really helpful to listen back sometimes and means you can pay attention to the class instead of scribbling notes down.

Thank you! Dictaphone sounds like a great idea!
Reply 4
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hello!

Regarding Laptops for university (Essay writing and Netflix) you shouldn't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money. For general use as you've described you should easily get a solid laptop for around £400. I personally would recommend Dell and Lenovo, they look fairly sleek and are very consistent (my uncle even recommended me them and his business is building/repairing computers for a living).

As Cam777 suggested it is worth looking at a local store such as Currys. This helps narrow down options and make it a bit more manageable for you. I had a quick look in currys and the dell website for you and I found these two Dell laptops.

These two should be really useful for what you need them for. The downside/upside to them are that they use an SSD for storage rather than HDD. SSDs are faster but you get around 128gb or 256gb in storage rather than 1TB.

- If you want a bit more storage but don't mind it not being a 2019 product then this should be really good as a choice. It is reliable, fast and decent storage - Dell

- The newer versions like this one which are faster and the latest models have less storage for you but this one is in your price range (smaller SSD size of 128gb), whilst annoying you can always use an external hard drive in the future if you need extra space. If you are looking for the most up to date computer and speed this is actually pretty good as it has been reduced!

Both of these options (with proper use) should be fast enough and durable enough at least for the three years you are looking for them to for university. I personally bought a Lenovo laptop for university back in July 2015 and it is still going strong hence why I recommend these brands. If these aren't a top pick I hope it at least gives you a reference for the spec you could look for. :smile:

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your help. Will definitely look into both of the laptops that you’ve suggested! :smile:
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hello!

Best of luck!

funny that that Dell was EXACTLY the laptop i was going to recommend

it's the perfect choice tbh
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you so much for your help. Will definitely look into both of the laptops that you’ve suggested! :smile:

Hi there.

You're welcome, and have fun laptop buying! Please feel free to message us if we can help with anything else.

Fi :horse:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by A Rolling Stone

Hi there @A Rolling Stone

You're welcome and have fun laptop buying! Please feel free to message us if we can help with anything else.

Fi :horse:
Reply 8

Thank you, I will have a look at Dell. It seems to be the popular choice!
Thank you, I will have a look at Dell. It seems to be the popular choice!

HPs are the most popular choice and they are all terrible. Dell are genuinely good quality, but be aware all laptops start getting problems with them after a couple of years (especially if you spill tea, drop them and don't take care etc, and also batteries degrade over time) so always get the 3yr warranty which will unfortunately add to your costs significantly
HPs are the most popular choice and they are all terrible. Dell are genuinely good quality, but be aware all laptops start getting problems with them after a couple of years (especially if you spill tea, drop them and don't take care etc, and also batteries degrade over time) so always get the 3yr warranty which will unfortunately add to your costs significantly

Agreed, I had an HP not long ago and it was painfully slow. That’s true, it would be wise to spend a little bit extra on the warranty than spending hundreds of pounds on new laptop. Would be good in the long run in case of damages etc:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending