The Student Room Group

Science va law degree

Hi everyone,

I will be applying to university within the next couple of months but i’m so unsure if I should do a science degree (probably will be biomedical as it’s the only one I have an interest in) but i’m not sure if i want to be a biomedical scientist. I would love to be a doctor but I know it’s too hard for me. With law I would do it to become a lawyer, it interests me but i’m unsure if I could actually see myself being a lawyer as I’m just so not confident and that it’s too much responsibility (I guess, also whenever I ask someone if they could see me being a lawyer they always laugh and say no) I couldn’t picture me in a court room with clients (I know there’s a lot more to it than that but you catch my drift). Also I know that so many law students drop out, does anyone know why this is?

(I’ve already taken a gap year so please don’t suggest that)!
If anyone could offer me any advice for this then I will be very grateful!
it’s literally up to you and what you want a life long career in, you either love science over law or vice versa. Being a biomedical scientist isn’t the same as being a doctor, the training is completely different.
Reply 2
Original post by TheRealSaifali
it’s literally up to you and what you want a life long career in, you either love science over law or vice versa. Being a biomedical scientist isn’t the same as being a doctor, the training is completely different.

I have no idea though that’s the thing as I couldn’t see myself being a lawyer but with being a biomedical scientist I think I wouldn’t enjoy it ahahaha
@RegisteredBMS might be able to offer some insight into the role of a biomedical scientist (and did an AMA a couple months ago that might be illuminating). Bear in mind if you want to become a biomedical scientist, the best courses to go for are the Healthcare Science (Life Sciences) courses, as these are both IBMS accredited and approved by the HCPC for registration as a graduate, and include placements to complete the professional portfolio required to register with the HCPC. All this means is that with those courses, you can apply directly to BMS roles in the NHS when you graduate. Graduates of other biomedical science courses might need to try and find an NHS lab to work in to complete the portfolio for HCPC registration, or even worse may need to take additional top up modules with the IBMS (or even potentially do a whole new degree).

You might want to research the legal profession in the UK and understand the differences between a solicitor and a barrister. Generally, barristers are the ones who go and stand up in court (some solicitors can but it's not typical). Solicitors tend to work much more in and with business e.g. providing counsel, reviewing and drafting legal documents and contracts etc. I'm not aware of law having a particularly high drop out rate but then again I've never particularly looked for that data. However bear in mind there are many more legal graduates every year than training contract places (on the solicitor side), so if you don't do well in your degree it can be very hard to ultimately qualify as a solicitor - bear in mind the degree is just the first step in qualifying.
Original post by Pany5689
I have no idea though that’s the thing as I couldn’t see myself being a lawyer but with being a biomedical scientist I think I wouldn’t enjoy it ahahaha

don’t think no one can imagine themselves being something they aren’t sure of. becoming sure of where and what your gonna do is the first step into shaping a future career for yourself :-)
Reply 5
Original post by TheRealSaifali
don’t think no one can imagine themselves being something they aren’t sure of. becoming sure of where and what your gonna do is the first step into shaping a future career for yourself :-)

Yes that’s very true! I just always feel like i’m not good enough and that I might as well let others to it ahahaha
If you decide being a Biomedical Scientist is the route you want to pursue or you require more information on it feel free to get in touch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending