The Student Room Group

is it possible to get into a uni without meeting the entry requirements

is it worth applying at unis where i dont meet the entry requirements?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lewis6969
is it worth applying at unis where i dont meet the entry requirements?

I think this depends on the requirements - so for me my diploma isn't accepted at several unis and if that's the case where you aren't studying the right subjects they're asking for, don't bother. Also if you're going to get ABB but they're asking for A*AA I wouldn't go for it. If it's maybe a grade or two off and it's a university you're really passionate about then your personal statement/other info might give you an advantage over others and you still might get interviewed and stand a chance.

Overall, don't go after really high standing unis if your grades are going to be below their requirements - and if you do, also apply to unis where you will meet or exceed the requirements so that you will definitely have an option. This is just my thoughts though.
Unfortunately not, all universities require you to have the stated entry requirements or your application is more than likely to be automatically rejected. So there’s no point in using a choice on this.
Reply 3
Original post by EBurlton
I think this depends on the requirements - so for me my diploma isn't accepted at several unis and if that's the case where you aren't studying the right subjects they're asking for, don't bother. Also if you're going to get ABB but they're asking for A*AA I wouldn't go for it. If it's maybe a grade or two off and it's a university you're really passionate about then your personal statement/other info might give you an advantage over others and you still might get interviewed and stand a chance.

Overall, don't go after really high standing unis if your grades are going to be below their requirements - and if you do, also apply to unis where you will meet or exceed the requirements so that you will definitely have an option. This is just my thoughts though.

i want to study languages at uni but domt have the qualifications for basically all the unis. i could easily get into uni with computer science but i hate computer science
Reply 4
Original post by gradeguesser
Unfortunately not, all universities require you to have the stated entry requirements or your application is more than likely to be automatically rejected. So there’s no point in using a choice on this.

ah man ok
ah man ok

Something I would suggest if you are able to afford it (as when you're above a certain age, college becomes more expensive) is to take languages at college if that is something you want to study at uni. Have you checked as well if the requirements are any lower if you were to take a foundation year at uni? Sometimes they ask for slightly lower grades as the foundation year is a means to try out the course and catch up with everyone else. By getting the highest grades at college you should meet the minimum requirements for uni but check their requirements to see if they will accept BTEC diplomas as not all do.
ah man ok

Can I know the basic details? I might be able to help out a bit more.
Reply 7
Can I know the basic details? I might be able to help out a bit more.

i want to study modern languages but dont have GCSEs in any language nor A level/Btec. I definitely would excel though since learning languages is one of my hobbies. learning italian atm which im blasting through
Reply 8
Original post by EBurlton
Something I would suggest if you are able to afford it (as when you're above a certain age, college becomes more expensive) is to take languages at college if that is something you want to study at uni. Have you checked as well if the requirements are any lower if you were to take a foundation year at uni? Sometimes they ask for slightly lower grades as the foundation year is a means to try out the course and catch up with everyone else. By getting the highest grades at college you should meet the minimum requirements for uni but check their requirements to see if they will accept BTEC diplomas as not all do.

yeah i plan on applying for the very few foundation years which some unis offer but theres only like 3 so my hopes arent high lol
i want to study modern languages but dont have GCSEs in any language nor A level/Btec. I definitely would excel though since learning languages is one of my hobbies. learning italian atm which im blasting through

Okay I see, there must be countless modern language courses out there. Unfortunately I’m not great in modern language courses however I’m sure there are universities that are more lenient. If you can just get the A-Level at a really good grade and highlight your commitment to learning a language (maybe something like an epq could help). I think you have a chance of studying modern languages, speak to your teachers and have a look everywhere online at different entry requirements at different uni’s, maybe even ring some admissions teams they’re usually very helpful. Good luck!
Reply 10
Okay I see, there must be countless modern language courses out there. Unfortunately I’m not great in modern language courses however I’m sure there are universities that are more lenient. If you can just get the A-Level at a really good grade and highlight your commitment to learning a language (maybe something like an epq could help). I think you have a chance of studying modern languages, speak to your teachers and have a look everywhere online at different entry requirements at different uni’s, maybe even ring some admissions teams they’re usually very helpful. Good luck!

i think you misunderstood mate, this current year is my final year at college and im studying cyber security so i cant do A levels now i left it too late lol. cheers for reply though
i think you misunderstood mate, this current year is my final year at college and im studying cyber security so i cant do A levels now i left it too late lol. cheers for reply though

My apologies, as you’ve put above a prelim year may be the best option in this case. I don’t think it’s unlikely you’d get offered a place on one of these either. The admissions team will understand how keen you are to study a language and see that you’re going to put in the effort at uni (making your teachers job a lot easier). Write an outstanding personal statement and separate yourself out from the others that are also applying.
Find a course that is not oversubscribed.
I think with languages SOAS is big so probably avoid that.
Maybe try to find a course that often on clearing.

That being said not all universities require a language at A-level. So I think you need to broaden your search.
For example if you do a degree in Japanese they are not going to require an a-level as most schools don't even offer it.

Then again I guess it depends if your talking about RG universities or not.
Reply 13
Original post by adam271
Find a course that is not oversubscribed.
I think with languages SOAS is big so probably avoid that.
Maybe try to find a course that often on clearing.

That being said not all universities require a language at A-level. So I think you need to broaden your search.
For example if you do a degree in Japanese they are not going to require an a-level as most schools don't even offer it.

Then again I guess it depends if your talking about RG universities or not.

if a school didnt offer a language as an A level, they will require an A level in another language like french as proof of your determination and passion for languages which makes sense. ill have a look though
if a school didnt offer a language as an A level, they will require an A level in another language like french as proof of your determination and passion for languages which makes sense. ill have a look though

It depends on what universities you are looking at so I can't really comment.
For example Trinity Saint David college doesn't have any restrictions and I could probably like another 10 more with no restrictions.
That being said if your only looking at top universities you may well be right.
Although you say that you’re good at learning languages language degrees involve a lot more than just learning the language.

If you haven’t studied languages academically before then it would be sensible to stay on at college for another year and study an A level or two (or an A and AS level) on a fast track to make sure that a language degree is what you want to do. Taking an extra year at college is a lot less expensive than a foundation year.

You could always look into taking some open university modules too. As long as you don’t cash in modules for a qualification you won’t eat into your full time funding eligibility.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending