The Student Room Group

A-level subject choice help

I originally chose History, Economics and Politics. But they told me that history and econ are in the same block so I can’t do it. I can’t really think of anything else that would compliment those two so I panicked and said yes when she suggested psychology.

Can you guys recommend subject choices?
I was thinking English Lit, Econ and Pol but I’m not really keen on doing lit anymore (do unis even appreciate it)
What do you want to go on and study at uni, or what job do you want to move on to?? Is there anywhere you can move to which offers the 3 subjects you originally chose?
Reply 2
Original post by 2childmum!
What do you want to go on and study at uni, or what job do you want to move on to?? Is there anywhere you can move to which offers the 3 subjects you originally chose?

I left my original school because I didn’t like it but this new one has restrictions in timetables probably due to it being a secondary school too.

I want to study PPE or Law at uni. Should I go for Geography?
Someone I know that applied for PPE at Oxford took history, English, maths and further maths - maybe switch the English lit for economy, rather than history, although I don't think it should matter too much if you get good grades.
Maths is required for PPE at some unis - e.g. Durham, Liverpool, LSE, UCL, and strongly recommended at York.

Southampton ask for grade B at AS maths, and list their preferred subjects as -
Philosophy, History, English, Religious Studies, Classical Civilisation, Sociology, Government and Politics.

Manchester has a list of subjects that they would like to see at least one of - including Economics, Gov and Politics and also Geography, English Literature and Maths, plus quite a lot more. You could have a look at their list and see if anything else interests you, and fits into the timetable.

Law courses tend to want you to have essay based subjects.

So there are quite a lot of possibilities - Maths would give you more choices of Universities for PPE, but there are others where no particular subjects are required.

Law tends to ask for essay based subjects, lots of those suitable for PPE would also be ok for Law
Original post by TheCapstan
I originally chose History, Economics and Politics. But they told me that history and econ are in the same block so I can’t do it. I can’t really think of anything else that would compliment those two so I panicked and said yes when she suggested psychology.

Can you guys recommend subject choices?
I was thinking English Lit, Econ and Pol but I’m not really keen on doing lit anymore (do unis even appreciate it)

Have you considered A level Religious Studies? Extremely easy and interesting. A lot of it is common sense. I really can't stress how easy it is to do well in RS.

It has a lot of philosophy in it as well (ethics and morality) and it often goes by the name of A level Religious Studies and Ethics.
English Lit is a facilitating subject so top uni’s will look up to and appreciate it
Like wat I’m trying to say is they like it and will likely accept ppl who done it
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Quick-use
Have you considered A level Religious Studies? Extremely easy and interesting. A lot of it is common sense. I really can't stress how easy it is to do well in RS.

It has a lot of philosophy in it as well (ethics and morality) and it often goes by the name of A level Religious Studies and Ethics.

How easy we talking? I got an 8 in GCSE RE if that matters.

Also, I was thinking of doing at least one facilitating subject which is English. I’m interested in Economics and Politics seems easy. So where would RE fit?
How easy we talking? I got an 8 in GCSE RE if that matters.

Also, I was thinking of doing at least one facilitating subject which is English. I’m interested in Economics and Politics seems easy. So where would RE fit?

If you got an 8 in GCSE, getting top marks in A level should be extremely easy for you.

Econ, Politics and R.E. are all facilitating subjects. You're completely fine.

What degrees are you considering applying for?
Reply 9
Original post by Quick-use
If you got an 8 in GCSE, getting top marks in A level should be extremely easy for you.

Econ, Politics and R.E. are all facilitating subjects. You're completely fine.

What degrees are you considering applying for?

Law at university maybe. Perhaps PPE. Politics? You get the idea.

At the same time I kind of want to be an investment banker too but I’m definitely not doing Maths A Level lmao
Law at university maybe. Perhaps PPE. Politics? You get the idea.

At the same time I kind of want to be an investment banker too but I’m definitely not doing Maths A Level lmao

What were your GCSE grades?

Are you 100% sure on Economics and Politics as A level subjects? I'd also definitely consider RS - really is an easy top mark. :rambo:

Quick Reply

Latest