The Student Room Group

How hard is it to do 4 A-levels?

How much time did you spend studying? Did you have much time for anything else e.g. volunteering
I’m guessing this will differ for different people and different subjects. People I’ve spoken to say they get overwhelmed at times.
Started at college with biology chemistry maths and physics. First few weeks, even months were fine (it’s manageable) however I asked myself why I was taking 4, universities only require 3 and although they only really look at your highest 3 grades there’s so much time spent on the fourth subject that could be spent on your other three, in topics your struggling with. Whatever subjects you take there’ll always be one topic you struggle with that requires more time. I gave up physics as it was the least important for what I wanted to do and I had so much more time for the other subjects and allowed me to focus on getting 3 solid A-Level grades. However this is of course different for everyone. Maybe start with 4 and see how it works out; you can always drop one throughout the year!
Reply 3
Thanks for all your help! I’m currently doing maths, biology, chemistry and Latin. Deciding between maths and Latin.
Personally, I didn't get overwhelmed, but I'm the sort of person who seems to remember things well, or have things click for me easily (at least in my chosen subjects because I'm absolutely useless at maths and chemistry. Would NOT have remembered stuff so easily with those A Levels.)

You have to remember it's essentially one extra lot of class time, workload and revision load/time for you to do. I'd say only take 4 if you really really really can't choose only 3 subjects (which was my problem. I was doing 4 and didn't want to drop one when second year came around because I like them all) and if you're sure you don't mind having less time than your peers.

I guess to compare, the college I went to had periods of 1hr 30mins. There were 4 periods in a day plus a 45 min lunch. So that's 20 periods per week. Each A Level Subject I took was 3 lessons per week (except Spanish which was 4 lessons, because it's a language). That's 13 lessons a week. So 7 free periods. So 35% of my college hours was free time. My friends only did 3 A Levels (and no languages) which meant they had 11 free periods - which is about half of their college hours. (not including lunch period)

So there's less time but more work. I had 4 sets of prework and homework to do each week, or each day etc. (Some subjects had regular schedules, others didn't). The college recommended about 4.5 hours a week of work/revision. That's over 16 hours a week. And I had about 10 and a half hours of free periods a week (not including lunch or weekends). If you think you can do that, then why not? Also, you can always drop it if it gets to be too much anyways.
Original post by may12388
Thanks for all your help! I’m currently doing maths, biology, chemistry and Latin. Deciding between maths and Latin.

In terms of volunteering and everything I wish I had put more time into that, I did work experience and found time for that. So yes you will find time for that! Maths is great, very rewarding and I find easier than the others when it comes to revision. However a language is also very respectable. Pick whichever you think you’ll obtain the highest grade in and which you enjoy most.
Reply 6
Thanks for you advice. Im only really looking at 4 for Oxbridge because I was told that it was better to do 4
Reply 7
Original post by gradeguesser
In terms of volunteering and everything I wish I had put more time into that, I did work experience and found time for that. So yes you will find time for that! Maths is great, very rewarding and I find easier than the others when it comes to revision. However a language is also very respectable. Pick whichever you think you’ll obtain the highest grade in and which you enjoy most.

Which A-levels did you do? If you dont mind me asking - what uni are you studying at?
Which A-levels did you do? If you dont mind me asking - what uni are you studying at?

I did maths, chemistry, biology and physics but only took a levels in maths chemistry biology. I’m currently at Liverpool studying dentistry!
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for you advice. Im only really looking at 4 for Oxbridge because I was told that it was better to do 4

Who told you this? There are many myths surrounding 4 A Levels and most of them stem from the fact that Oxbridge students are more likely to take 4 A Levels. This doesn't mean that if you take 3 A Levels then you will be disadvantaged. Both Oxford and Cambridge have said that 3 A Levels are all that's required.

The main advantage of taking 4 A Levels initially is that it gives you options. But after Y12 you may as well drop one.
Reply 10
Original post by Sir Cumference
Who told you this? There are many myths surrounding 4 A Levels and most of them stem from the fact that Oxbridge students are more likely to take 4 A Levels. This doesn't mean that if you take 3 A Levels then you will be disadvantaged. Both Oxford and Cambridge have said that 3 A Levels are all that's required.

The main advantage of taking 4 A Levels initially is that it gives you options. But after Y12 you may as well drop one.

Ok thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest