The Student Room Group

Will Leeds still take me? A level remark disaster..

Hey guys, I need some advice. Recently, I sent of my papers for all my A levels (AQA Sociology, History and English lit + Lang) as I was 1 mark off from the desired grades I needed to meet my firm for Leeds to do Law. My teachers suggested and insisted I get a remark done since it was literally 1 mark for all the subjects so I thought why not. My teachers told me it would take 2 weeks to come (they told me they sorted it out on the day of results) and I’m sure it was for priority however, it has been longer than that and I’m completely devestated. I rang Leeds and they were quite nice and told me they’d give me my place if I get the grades but the deadline was 31st August. It’s way past the deadline and I’m really stressed and upset and I was wondering if there is still any chance they could give me some leeway and perhaps let me in?

I don’t want to take a gap year..if my grades do improve I want to start this year. My dad is not fond of me starting uni next year and I’m in a bad situation rn.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fathima_bibi
Hey guys, I need some advice. Recently, I sent of my papers for all my A levels (AQA Sociology, History and English lit + Lang) as I was 1 mark off from the desired grades I needed to meet my firm for Leeds to do Law. My teachers suggested and insisted I get a remark done since it was literally 1 mark for all the subjects so I thought why not. My teachers told me it would take 2 weeks to come (they told me they sorted it out on the day of results) and I’m sure it was for priority however, it has been longer than that and I’m completely devestated. I rang Leeds and they were quite nice and told me they’d give me my place if I get the grades but the deadline was 31st August. It’s way past the deadline and I’m really stressed and upset and I was wondering if there is still any chance they could give me some leeway and perhaps let me in?

I don’t want to take a gap year..if my grades do improve I want to start this year. My dad is not fond of me starting uni next year and I’m in a bad situation rn.

****, this is insanely unlucky. Leeds sounded really nice about it, but clearly set a deadline, so idk. You may have to come to terms with a gap year idea. Should complain to aqa for sure, its partly their fault for this ****ty situation. Remarks should have come back by now, its been almost a month!
Reply 2
If the reviewed scripts haven't returned after such a long period, you should lodge a complaint to AQA because that is pretty disgraceful. I am sorry you had to go through something like this, but there's no real other way out. I'd listen to tot he advice of the poster above. It seems like a catch-22 situation really.

Call Leeds, explain your situation, and ask whether they would still consider reinstating your place after August 31
Original post by scrippsy
Call Leeds, explain your situation, and ask whether they would still consider reinstating your place after August 31

Hey! I rang Leeds just yesterday and the man from the Law admissions was so lovely :’) he said that he can still give me my place for this year but he did say that it would be up until Thursday, so I need to get my remarks by then. It has been 4 weeks, I’m praying that they come this week otherwise idk anymore. And it also depends if they move up firstly cause if they don’t then i’ll Just have to go with my insurance. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Hey! I rang Leeds just yesterday and the man from the Law admissions was so lovely :’) he sI'maid that he can still give me my place for this year but he did say that it would be up until Thursday, so I need to get my remarks by then. It has been 4 weeks, I’m praying that they come this week otherwise idk anymore. And it also depends if they move up firstly cause if they don’t then i’ll Just have to go with my insurance. :s-smilie:

I'm praying that you get your re-marks back!
Original post by klywi03
I'm praying that you get your re-marks back!

Thank you so much!!! :smile::h:
Hey! I rang Leeds just yesterday and the man from the Law admissions was so lovely :’) he said that he can still give me my place for this year but he did say that it would be up until Thursday, so I need to get my remarks by then. It has been 4 weeks, I’m praying that they come this week otherwise idk anymore. And it also depends if they move up firstly cause if they don’t then i’ll Just have to go with my insurance. :s-smilie:

that's good news! here's hoping your grade goes up before then
Ah this sounds so stressful. Sorry this is happening to you, OP :frown:

Good luck and I hope your grades get moved up! Let us know how you get on.
Reply 9

Have you asked your exams officer to chase it? Some people have found that the exams officer did not send them when they thought they had.
That's awful, call them up and explain your situation.

And just wait for the remarks to come back.
If you are only 1 mark off I think Leeds should look at that rather than your remark - you are either "good enough" to do their degree or not - 1 mark is neither here nor there. Have you only spoken to the admissions team, or have you spoken to a faculty member?
Original post by TCL
Have you asked your exams officer to chase it? Some people have found that the exams officer did not send them when they thought they had.

My mom just had a chat with the exams officer and turns out what you said is true. The exam officer wasn’t even in school until the 29th of August apparently and that’s when she had sent off all the remarks. This means that it was way past the deadline for priority. I’ve been waiting patiently for so long for no reason. I can’t believe this. I told my teachers my situation as well they know I missed out and I needed the remarks as soon as possible, yet it was still sent off so late. What do I do?? I can’t believe this. :frown: Every time I feel like it’s gonna be better it just goes worse for me.
Original post by mkstudent
If you are only 1 mark off I think Leeds should look at that rather than your remark - you are either "good enough" to do their degree or not - 1 mark is neither here nor there. Have you only spoken to the admissions team, or have you spoken to a faculty member?

Maybe the whole 1 mark situation is why Leeds is a lot more lenient towards me and are still willing to give me a place. I talked to the law admissions and he said he would give me the place although I think the places are already full. But idk should I ring them again, I don’t think they’re that lenient in letting me in without having accomplished the expected grades. :frown:
Reply 14
Maybe the whole 1 mark situation is why Leeds is a lot more lenient towards me and are still willing to give me a place. I talked to the law admissions and he said he would give me the place although I think the places are already full. But idk should I ring them again, I don’t think they’re that lenient in letting me in without having accomplished the expected grades. :frown:

Yes, ring them again. Explain that the exams officer was away and did not submit your request, but that you are happy to provide evidence that you were only 1 mark off. 1 mark should be neither here not there, as mkstudent said, a single mark in a re-mark should not be the difference which makes you good enough when they know exam grades are not that accurate.
Quick update: I forgot to tell you guys that I applied through access to Leeds which required me to get ABB to do Law however I got ACC which was all one mark off A*BB.

I recieved two of my results today. AQA sociology went up to an A* by 7 marks! I’m really happy with that I can’t believe it went up that high. However, unfortunately History stayed the same as a C. It didn’t go up at all I just needed 1 mark but of course I knew History rarely changed much. I don’t how know to feel about it but I am dissapointed for sure.

I’m still waiting for my English remark. If that goes up to a B i’ll feel a bit more content at least.

I rang Leeds however to tell them but the man now said that even if my English goes up to a B they won’t take me on because of my C. So in the end, I won’t be able to go go Leeds.
Reply 16
Quick update: I forgot to tell you guys that I applied through access to Leeds which required me to get ABB to do Law however I got ACC which was all one mark off A*BB.

I recieved two of my results today. AQA sociology went up to an A* by 7 marks! I’m really happy with that I can’t believe it went up that high. However, unfortunately History stayed the same as a C. It didn’t go up at all I just needed 1 mark but of course I knew History rarely changed much. I don’t how know to feel about it but I am dissapointed for sure.

I’m still waiting for my English remark. If that goes up to a B i’ll feel a bit more content at least.

I rang Leeds however to tell them but the man now said that even if my English goes up to a B they won’t take me on because of my C. So in the end, I won’t be able to go go Leeds.

I think Leeds have been one of the least flexible universities this year. Someone I know who had an offer for Environmental Science with ABB, got BBC with some marks close to the grade boundaries and they were not willing to take him. Went to Liverpool instead which has same standard offer but was more flexible about grades achieved on the day.

Sorry to hear that you have had a frustrating time, but congratulations on the Sociology. What are you planning to do?
Reply 17

Hi Fathima. Sorry to hear about the stressful situation regarding your remarks. Have you tried contacting AQA regarding why the remark is taking forever and the University of Leeds itself regarding whether they'll give you your place pending grades or accept you anyways for law? Hope this helps. :smile:
So, if you want to go to Uni this year you need to have a quick rethink.

What is most important to you?

Town the uni is in? Try Leeds Beckett they have clearing spaces for Law and you already have more than enough points even if your English doesn't improve
only the Subject? Ditto - but there may be other unis also still with clearing spaces that you'd prefer

Alternatively think about changing subject - with your obvious talent for sociology (congrats on the A*) maybe consider Sociology or Criminology?

You can still be a lawyer - you can do ANY degree and convert to Law after and many law firms and corporates prefer lawyers to actually have a non-law degree. The secret is to join the law society at the university, schmoose at the events and apply for legal internships. You are also more likely to achieve a better grade if its a subject area you are good at and enjoy.

Not getting into Leeds is not the end of the world, consider if you did get in you could be "competing" for law opportunities within the university with students with much higher grades?

Good luck! Hope to hear on Monday that you have secured a place through clearing somewhere you are happy with.
Don’t go to Leeds Beckett for law, the department is so incompetent and unprofessional! My friend went there and has had problem after problem, my cousin wanted to do her law masters there and applied but again had problem after problem and decided to go to Manchester met instead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending