The Student Room Group

Have your say: Oxford comes top in THE World University Rankings for fourth time

Here's where you can post a comment about our Oxford comes top in THE World University Rankings for fourth time article.

Read the full Oxford comes top in THE World University Rankings for fourth time article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

Scroll to see replies

Bow down before us, @the bear :smug:
And the highly specific descriptive methodology here:

Oxford beats Cambridge in three areas: citations, industry income and international outlook. Cambridge beats Oxford in teaching and research.

I am not sure how you can be better for research, yet get fewer citations. Anglia Ruskin beats both Oxford and Cambridge in citations, as well as Harvard and MIT. A few other random unis beat even the might ARU. I think it's nonsense.
(edited 4 years ago)
citations, shmitations

smh

:hand:
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety
Oxford beats Cambridge in three areas: citations, industry income and international outlook. Cambridge beats Oxford in teaching and research.

I am not sure how you can be better for research, yet get fewer citations. Anglia Ruskin beats both Oxford and Cambridge in citations, as well as Harvard and MIT. A few other random unis beat even the might ARU. I think it's nonsense.

That must be why when you arrive at Cambridge rail station it tells you that this is the home of Anglia Ruskin as opposed to University of Cambridge :cute:
(edited 4 years ago)
Say no more
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh
That must be why when you arrive at Cambridge rail station it tells you that this is the home of Anglia Ruskin as opposed to University of Cambridge :cute:

ARU need to advertise! Do you see any Imperial, UCL or LSE adverts on the London Underground?
Reply 8
Is it only me who finds it satisfying that all these American unis are losing their top spots compared to our unis full of history?
No it is not only you ( waving Oxford scarf in the air)
Which uni ranking should you go for?

Times higher or QS?
Original post by Sinnoh

omg i remember laughing so much at this!
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Which uni ranking should you go for?

Times higher or QS?

I see unis and students use the QS ranking more often but that’s just my personal experience

I am not sure how you can be better for research, yet get fewer citations.

By owning the world’s largest university press?
(edited 4 years ago)
Very proud of Oxford! Why not!
Meant to have a foot in both camps but that would be lying. :burnout:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
Is it only me who finds it satisfying that all these American unis are losing their top spots compared to our unis full of history?

18 of the UK's 28 universities in the top 200 have declined by one place or more in the new rankings though. Germany may now overtake the UK in terms of representation, so it isn't looking good at all.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/world-university-rankings-2020-results-announced
Original post by nulli tertius
By owning the world’s largest university press?

I am not sure if you're being serious or not.
I am not sure if you're being serious or not.

Not really serious.

I suspect this is really a function of subject matter. If you are a historian of Bismark's Germany, many other researchers in many fields might quote what you have to say. If you are researching some narrow aspect of topology, your research is of interest to other topologists.
Fake news!

There’s no way Oxford beat the university of Pyongyang.
Reply 19
Oxford is alright, but it's no Wrexham Uni that's for sure...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending