The Student Room Group

Poll: Would you rather be very rich or very smart?

Poll

Would you rather be very rich or very smart?

Would you rather be in the top 10% most wealthy and average intelligence or...

top 10% most intelligence and average wealth (in the UK)?

Also, lets suppose your position in intelligence or wealth never changes throughout your life i.e. you cant use your smarts to make money or your money to be smart.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm happy enough being smart-ish and skint, tbh
Reply 2
Original post by angelike1
Would you rather be in the top 10% most wealthy and average intelligence or...

top 10% most intelligence and average wealth (in the UK)?

Also, lets suppose your position in intelligence or wealth never changes throughout your life i.e. you cant use your smarts to make money or your money to be smart.

One of life's toughest questions. I want to be smart so that I can be rich. For me the outcome of intelligence should result in a high salary
Top 10% rich with a little bit of brain is fine with me 👌👌
Original post by makeup
One of life's toughest questions. I want to be smart so that I can be rich. For me the outcome of intelligence should result in a high salary

What if your salary would be the same?
Original post by gjd800
I'm happy enough being smart-ish and skint, tbh

So I guess being very smart (top 10%) and totally not skint (average wealth) is a no-brainer then :lol:
Reply 6
So I guess being very smart (top 10%) and totally not skint (average wealth) is a no-brainer then :lol:

Yeah, i reckon if my hand was being forced by an evil genie, that's the way I'd lean!
As much as I don't want to admit it, I'd probably rather be rich tbh.
The top smart.Don't really care for being wealthy.
Dunno.
Original post by MidgetFever
As much as I don't want to admit it, I'd probably rather be rich tbh.

I think I read somewhere that intelligent people are more likely to suffer from mental health issues so it might not be all its cracked up to be.
I think I read somewhere that intelligent people are more likely to suffer from mental health issues so it might not be all its cracked up to be.

I wouldn't be surprised really, I can imagine intelligent people are more likely to be in high pressure jobs, or people would have high expectations for them. Feels really bad if you can't actually meet those expectations.

Obviously that won't ring true for every intelligent person. I'd just rather go with the money, doesn't bring happiness but it provides security :tongue:
Reply 12
Assuming average wealth is, when handled well, enough to mortgage a decent property and have "standard" luxuries, definitely sign me up for the top 10% of intelligence. Then again, all things point to me already being in that bracket, and I feel like a dumbass most of the time anyway.
Reply 13
What if your salary would be the same?

Is my salary high?
Original post by makeup
Is my salary high?

It's average.
I'm both tbf
Original post by JamesManc
I'm both tbf

Well... pick one den
Reply 17
Well, there are two considerations I can think of- to argue 'smart' over 'rich'.

1) A person with a higher intellect is probably (is this statistically true?) more likely to find themselves opportunities to earn lots of money- to the point where they may be considered 'rich'.
2) Would being more intelligent lead to a greater appreciation of a larger amount of topics, making you more happy and content as a result?
What if you had to stay at average wealth tho. Which would you choose?
I’d pick wealth, an unpopular choice but considering that the smartest people in society don’t earn a whole lot (maths and physics graduates) I’d rather just have money

Quick Reply

Latest