The Student Room Group

Daughter might be expelled......

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Is she at all interested in doing well, passing her A levels or having a career?

It will mean they dont want her at school, but will let her sit exams and offer some support i.e mark work. Its nice of them considering they could just expel her. She obviously doesnt care, so ask her what she wants to do as if she is going top flunk exams then maybe a different course or an apprenticeship will be better?

I only read your OP btw, didnt realise there were 70+ posts after, which may have revealed new info.

No you have not missed anything tigger it is just as you see it.
Original post by Stefanidi
This was my post:
She got an A* in chemistry? Tbh I don’t mean to offend you but any child’s happiness starts from the home. You need to try and get through to her, maybe you’re being too lenient etc. And since you’re a stay at home mum I really feel like you should be doing more. I barely saw my mum as she had to work all the hours so make the most of the time you have to nurture her. Make sure there are no underlying issues at her school because she may not be forthcoming. If there are then change sixth forms, whatever it takes, but you must ensure she makes the most of all opportunities that come her way. Good luck 🙂

I offered you advice in that I pointed out, as several other posters have tried to, that you need to support her instead of completely blaming her like you have done on this thread as at her age she'll see you as taking the school's side. There's nothing more for me to say as you aren't accepting it so I'm not sure why you and @Scotney are ganging up on me for something that is inherently your problem. As I've already said, good luck.

And like I said, please read my post offering the drive my daughter to school 3, 4 times a day, everyday. Offering her to leave that school and do something else. She said no to both options. How is this not supportive?

I quote"

any child’s happiness starts from the home. You need to try and get through to her, maybe you’re being too lenient etc. And since you’re a stay at home mum I really feel like you should be doing more. I barely saw my mum as she had to work all the hours so make the most of the time you have to nurture her"

Here you appear to blame me. I gave up work to bring up my family.

So is her defiance in not wearing her lanyard, using her phone in class and talking through mass my fault too?
Original post by boble1
And like I said, please read my post offering the drive my daughter to school 3, 4 times a day, everyday. Offering her to leave that school and do something else. She said no to both options. How is this not supportive?

I quote"

any child’s happiness starts from the home. You need to try and get through to her, maybe you’re being too lenient etc. And since you’re a stay at home mum I really feel like you should be doing more. I barely saw my mum as she had to work all the hours so make the most of the time you have to nurture her"

Here you appear to blame me. I gave up work to bring up my family.

So is her defiance in not wearing her lanyard, using her phone in class and talking through mass my fault too?

Don't worry about him, he's a troll. It's hard being a parent
Don't you think you're being a little immature following me around on threads? I'm 19 for your information, how old are you? 50? Are you even a student? I think it's time you grow up

Maybe you should give out advice on parenting when you actually become a parent?
Original post by boble1
Maybe you should give out advice on parenting when you actually become a parent?

I'm a parent and a teacher - the school has been very inflexible imho.
Don't you think you're being a little immature following me around on threads? I'm 19 for your information, how old are you? 50? Are you even a student? I think it's time you grow up

Here we go! I'm not following you around I just keep seeing you everywhere upsetting people and giving your immature opinions. You accuse me of being a snowflake but you're the one getting upset whenever people disagree with you. And going on about my age again??
Then maybe don't ask on a student forum, lady. I've had plenty of experience of good and bad parenting, but I'm not the one asking for advice am I?...

I wasn't asking for advice on my parenting skills though was I, child....

I asked what "enforced study" leave was.
Original post by harrysbar
Here we go! I'm not following you around I just keep seeing you everywhere upsetting people and giving your immature opinions. You accuse me of being a snowflake but you're the one getting upset whenever people disagree with you. And going on about my age again?

PRSOM
Original post by Muttley79
I'm a parent and a teacher - the school has been very inflexible imho.

Hi, thank you. It's great to hear from someone who is both a teacher and parent.

I have spoken to my daughter this evening and offered either to be driven to school 3 or 4 times a day to just go on for lessons, which I don't mind doing or to leave and start afresh somewhere else. She has said no to both.

Where do I go from here?
Upsetting who? You're the only one who is offended here, and the OP is clearly out of her depth if she can't even accept the advice she has asked for.

Please don't insult me again with your childish advice.

My post asked what enforced study leave was.

I did not ask for advice on parenting.
Original post by boble1
So you don't think that not wearing her lanyard, talking during mass, being on her mobile phone during lessons, is childish?

I have asked her tonight if she'd like to go in just for lessons. I will drive her there and back 3 or 4 time a day because she is my child and I love her and would do anything to make her happy. She said no.

I then asked her if she wants to leave and find something else to do. Again she said no.

Tell me how I am not being supportive then?

OP dont take it to heart. will have a read through later and ;let you know if I think swanseajack is being fair or unreasonable.
Sounds like she has some growing up to do and decisions to make about her own future.
Original post by boble1
Please don't insult me again with your childish advice.

My post asked what enforced study leave was.

I did not ask for advice on parenting.

Well maybe it's a good idea to find out why she is on enforced study leave, don't you think
Original post by boble1
Hi, yes I understand that she is not going to be able to disrupt others any longer, but this is what she wants, to not be at school. In my eyes, this is her getting her own way and I think she will feel as if she has won and it's just as ridiculous as when kids are excluded for a couple of days for whatever reasons.

I'm a stay at home mother, and TBH, I don't want her home all day. She never did any of her homework, or if she did, it was the bare minimal. There is no way she will be able to teach herself - she is doing chemistry A level and is struggling as it is - this is her favourite subject and she got top marks in her GCSE exam.

Do you know if she has the practical endorsement?
What are her other subjects and what grades has she managed in mocks?
Is this an example of your prime parenting skills? No wonder your daughter is having a breakdown. The school may be inflexible but you're going along with it.

Spoiler

Um ok.

My inflexibility is offering to drive my daughter to school countless times a day, waiting around for her, drive her home and take her back again for lessons spread out during the day. Offering her the opportunity to leave school and do something else.....

As well as taking 2 other kids to a different school, fitting in all my housework.

And that makes me a bad parent?
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you know if she has the practical endorsement?
What are her other subjects and what grades has she managed in mocks?

Hi, her other subjects are chemistry and psychology.

She said if she could go back in time, she would of taken psychics instead of biology.

Sorry, what is the practical endorsement?
Original post by boble1
Hi, thank you. It's great to hear from someone who is both a teacher and parent.

I have spoken to my daughter this evening and offered either to be driven to school 3 or 4 times a day to just go on for lessons, which I don't mind doing or to leave and start afresh somewhere else. She has said no to both.

Where do I go from here?

Why can't she just drop Biology or change teacher? She could do an EPQ and maybe an AS in a year. Not ideal but better than the alternative.
Original post by swanseajack1
The issue is that nearly all universities make offers on 3 subjects. You can take a btec instead of an A level but they are 2 year courses and would require taking a year longer unless there is a subject that can be fast tracked in a year which effectively is the same as taking 4 A levels. This is the reason for re taking year 12 so all subjects can be taken in the same sitting as required by many universities. An EPQ is half an A level and wont meet the university conditions. Taking an EPQ usually leads to a 1 grade drop in 1 subject

1. Not all BTECs are 2 years. It depends how the college teaches it.
2. Not a big deal taking a year longer as long as she gets three.
3. Plenty of unis wont care in most cases about taking them over three years, except medicine and the elites.
4. Year 12 may not be a viable option.
Original post by swanseajack1
It isnt about 1 A level over 2 years. A levels need to be taken at the same time so there are 2 choices. Fast tracking an A level in 1 year so all are taken next year or restarting year 12 and taking all exams in June 2021. What is clearly obvious is the daughter is 1 extremely unhappy girl who needs parental support to help her change subjects but the mother isnt doing this and is more interested in supporting the school. No wonder the student wont discuss the matter with her mother who she clearly rightly sees as part of the problem. The mother is more interested in trying to force a very unhappy daughter in a school doing subjects she hates than attempting to resolve the issued by moving her daughter elsewhere doing subjects she would be happy with.

They dont have to be taken at the same time except for a few courses and even then there are other options.
They dont have to be taken at the same time except for a few courses and even then there are other options.

PRSOM!
Original post by Muttley79
Why can't she just drop Biology or change teacher? She could do an EPQ and maybe an AS in a year. Not ideal but better than the alternative.

Hi, biology has 2 teachers and she has both during the week.

She was told that if she did an AS, she wouldn't get into university.

What is an EPQ?

Quick Reply

Latest