The Student Room Group

27 Y/o Male who wan'ts to go to University but is baffled by the requirements.

I left college 6 Years ago with the following qualifications;

(1) IT & Business Course Qualification (Level 2)

(2) Pearson Edexcel Functional Skills qualification in Mathematics at Level 2

(3) Functional Skills qualification in English at Level 2

and I was recently browsing courses on Manchester's Metro Uni and found a course that I would love to study. The course I want to enroll on is titled 'Bsc Hons in Computing' but I am having trouble understanding the requirements.

The requirements are;

104-112 UCAS Tariff Points at A2 (Grades BCC-BBC) to include minimum grade C at A2 in IT, Computing, Maths or Science*

> Does this mean I need to have grade C in all the above subjects or just in one of the subjects?

BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma/Diploma (Grades D*D or DMM) in IT or Computing accepted with a merit grade achieved in specified key units*

Along with GCSE grade C or grade 4 in English Language, Science and Mathematics. Level 2 Functional Skills English also accepted. BTEC Level 2 in Applied Science also accepted.

// End of Requirements \\

I don't have a level 3 qualification as of yet, I applied for an access course 8 months ago but the course got canceled because they didn't receive applications. So I am stuck in a loop, again.

I have been working in IT for the past few years now, completely self-taught but I want to get a qualification under my belt so I can go on and achieve greatness in the computer industry.

Does anyone know if I even have a chance at securing a place at Man Met with these qualifications? ... or maybe they will take mature students into consideration?.

I know for a fact that I can pass the course with flying colors, I was reading the course details and got excited just reading it. I just need some advice, if you can help I will be much appreciated.

IF anyone has anyone recommendations regarding access courses (distance and classroom) let me know. <3

edit:
I have been looking at standard computing courses online, and I am shocked by the duration of the courses taking sometimes 2/3 years to complete. All I need is a Level 3 Qualification, The previous Access course that I applied for was a Level 3 and the course duration was 1 year. I seem to think I am out of options, could anyone spare a hand to help? :frown: Thank you, God Bless You All !!
Reply 1
Get a level 3 Qualification At DD or MM and you will be solid.
Reply 2
Original post by Seris
Get a level 3 Qualification At DD or MM and you will be solid.

Hey Seris, Thanks for the reply brother. What do you mean DD or MM?
Reply 3
Distinction or Merit grade. Your maths and English are good enough which is equivalent to a C grade in GCSE. But if you are lucky they might take you on since you're a mature student.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Seris
Distinction or Merit grade. Your maths and English are good enough which is equivalent to a C grade in GCSE. But if you are lucky they might take you on since you're a mature student.

I would email Computer Studies admissions detailing your qualifications and experience and ask them if you would be accepted.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
I would email Computer Studies admissions detailing your qualifications and experience and ask them if you would be accepted.

I have tried searching for a 'Computer Admissions' E-Mail for Man Met but I can't find one, thanks for the reply though. I Will definitely try finding the email.
Reply 6
Original post by Seris

Thanks for the reply Seris!
Not sure why your baffled by the requirements. Tbh those are some very low requirements for a modern course. Find an access course near you. Your going to have to put some effort into this if you want to achieve something. It's difficult to make a recommendation as to where to do that. If you live in a smaller town, think of the next biggest city and go somewhere where there is demand.

Alternatively, you can take all of your qualifications and work experience and go see if they would accept you. Emailing is only effective up to a point you have a very unique situation and circumstances. However, a uni like Manchester Met needs students and if you can fulfill their requirements they should work with you to accomodate you!

I'm a fellow mature student and didn't go back to uni until 27 and did a private foundation. That is a very expensive options, but also look into wether they do a foundation course.
@DavidJava I would give the university a call to discuss your options with them :smile:

I don't know about Man Met specifically but there are other universities who will consider mature students based on work experience, so it is worth getting in touch I'd say. Good luck!!

@Manchester Metropolitan University can you help with this...?
Original post by DavidJava

and I was recently browsing courses on Manchester's Metro Uni and found a course that I would love to study. The course I want to enroll on is titled 'Bsc Hons in Computing' but I am having trouble understanding the requirements.

The requirements are;

104-112 UCAS Tariff Points at A2 (Grades BCC-BBC) to include minimum grade C at A2 in IT, Computing, Maths or Science*

> Does this mean I need to have grade C in all the above subjects or just in one of the subjects?

BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma/Diploma (Grades D*D or DMM) in IT or Computing accepted with a merit grade achieved in specified key units*

Along with GCSE grade C or grade 4 in English Language, Science and Mathematics. Level 2 Functional Skills English also accepted. BTEC Level 2 in Applied Science also accepted.

I don't have a level 3 qualification as of yet, I applied for an access course 8 months ago but the course got canceled because they didn't receive applications. So I am stuck in a loop, again.

I have been working in IT for the past few years now, completely self-taught but I want to get a qualification under my belt so I can go on and achieve greatness in the computer industry.

Does anyone know if I even have a chance at securing a place at Man Met with these qualifications? ... or maybe they will take mature students into consideration?.

I know for a fact that I can pass the course with flying colors, I was reading the course details and got excited just reading it. I just need some advice, if you can help I will be much appreciated.

IF anyone has anyone recommendations regarding access courses (distance and classroom) let me know. <3

edit:
I have been looking at standard computing courses online, and I am shocked by the duration of the courses taking sometimes 2/3 years to complete. All I need is a Level 3 Qualification, The previous Access course that I applied for was a Level 3 and the course duration was 1 year. I seem to think I am out of options, could anyone spare a hand to help? :frown: Thank you, God Bless You All !!

Hi there @DavidJava

As other replies have stated, you would need Level 3 qualifications so either A-Levels, BTECs or an Access course if the uni will not accept your current qualifications and experience.

These will all take time, but I'd recommend looking at an Access course. They take one academic year which isn't very long, and you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for the course. If you get this and then complete your undergraduate, the Advanced Learner Loan fee is then wiped clear, so its a very good option for getting to university as a mature student. Access courses can also be done as distance learning, but you are not eligible for the course loan if studied this way.

I hope this helps.

Fi :horse:

The requirements are;

edit:

At least you set out your question properly.

1. The entrance requirements are for different level 3 qualifications, you just need to pay regards to the relevant one for you.
2. For most people it will take two years because it is usually A levels at school or BTECs at college. Cant see why you should be shocked?
3. You can do an Access course in IT, Computing or Science.
4. It states on the entrance requirements
Pass Access to HE Diploma in a relevant subject (ICT/Computing/Science) with a minimum 106 UCAS Tariff Points.
5. 106 points on an access course equates to 45 credits or 15 units at 3 credits a piece. That equated to the grade 0Passes, 36 Merits and 9 Distinctions or of the 15 assignments they want to see at least 12 at merit level and 3 at distinction level.
6. You can look up Access courses here. Imo actual brick courses are better than distance learning, but some people only have distance learning as a choice for various reasons.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/en/course-search
7. You still have time to enrol now.
8. As puddles suggested contact Man Met, but you can also look at another 4 courses.
9. You havent studied for a long time and your qualifications are still quite basic. Knowing how to do something n the workplace doesnt always equate to academic knowledge. For uni you need the latter. It is good for you to learn study skills at level 3 so you are prepared for a degree. Dont run before you cna walk, be patient and follow the path of everyone else who has the same objective imo.
10 As you are 19+ you will have to get and advanced learner loan to pay for the course, but as its your first t may be waved or written off.

The requirements are;

edit:

Hi @DavidJava,

We're so glad to hear that you like the sound of our BSc Computing course! :smile:

Unfortunately we do need Level 3 qualifications in order to be considered for the course, regardless of experience. The experience you have will certainly enhance your application, but we still look for all of our applicants for Computing to meet the academic requirements. As mentioned in some of the comments above, an Access course would be the best route for you to be eligible to apply for the course. Are you based in the Manchester area? If so, Tameside college, Oldham College and Salford City College all run an Access course in Computing, so you may want to look into these. You can search for available Access courses in your area on their website at https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search.

As @Liverpool Hope University said, you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for the course, which is then wiped clear if you go on to study an undergraduate degree.

If you would like to find out more about the computing course, we have some Open Days coming up in October and November, where you can meet some of the course tutors and ask any questions you may have about the course. More details can be found at https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions just give me a shout, or feel free to call us on 0161 247 6969.

Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending