The Student Room Group

Logic over Theism.

In the absence of evidence,

The scientist says, “I do not know,”

But the religionist says, “I believe.”

- David Eller's 67 Atheism Aphorisms.

The perfect way to sum up a discussion on the origins of the universe, nobody knows how the universe came about, and the atheist accepts that, but religionists as said above fill the gaps unnecessarily and claim God did it, there is no basis to this claim, it is simply a fabrication.

This logic is impenetrable, you cannot flaw it, atheists accept the facts and religionists create beliefs.

The scary thing is every single theist that walks into this thread will have this logic fly right over their heads because any opposing, threatening logic that dismantles their own faith has to be wrong, this is predetermined, anything against my faith and my beliefs is wrong.

If you argue against this logic you are essentially saying 1 + 1 = 5.

Scroll to see replies

Tell me about it, there isn't a day goes by that I don't wish I still believed in the flying reindeers.
Logic is advanced.
An advanced thing can only be boring for a person who is not capable of understading it's complexity.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
In the absence of evidence,

The scientist says, “I do not know,”

But the religionist says, “I believe.”

- David Eller's 67 Atheism Aphorisms.

The perfect way to sum up a discussion on the origins of the universe, nobody knows how the universe came about, and the atheist accepts that, but religionists as said above fill the gaps unnecessarily and claim God did it, there is no basis to this claim, it is simply a fabrication.

This logic is impenetrable, you cannot flaw it, atheists accept the facts and religionists create beliefs.

The scary thing is every single theist that walks into this thread will have this logic fly right over their heads because any opposing, threatening logic that dismantles their own faith has to be wrong, this is predetermined, anything against my faith and my beliefs is wrong.

If you argue against this logic you are essentially saying 1 + 1 = 5.

So you're saying that over 80% of the world's population is illogical? Maybe they use a natural level of logic and your level of logic is unnatural?
Original post by Sir Cumference
So you're saying that over 80% of the world's population is illogical? Maybe they use a natural level of logic and your level of logic is unnatural?

lol yes

There was also a time when 99% believed the Earth was the centre of the Solar System.
Original post by angelike1
lol yes

There was also a time when 99% believed the Earth was the centre of the Solar System.

Just because they were wrong it doesn't prove that 80% of the population is wrong now. If the majority of the world believe something then most of the time it is true.
If the majority of the world believe something then most of the time it is true.

I mean that isn't exactly the best reasoning given the things that the majority of the world used to believe
Just because they were wrong it doesn't prove that 80% of the population is wrong now. If the majority of the world believe something then most of the time it is true.

Does that include the millions of people who are illiterate or without an education?
Original post by A giant chicken
I mean that isn't exactly the best reasoning given the things that the majority of the world used to believe

No it can't be used to prove God but occasions when the majority are wrong also can't be used to disprove God.
Does that include the millions of people who are illiterate or without an education?

Yes
No it can't be used to prove God but occasions when the majority are wrong also can't be used to disprove God.

Ok yeah fair enough
Yes

Well there you go.
Theists generally do believe that they have evidence for their belief in God, so to say that their claim that God exists and created the world is purely a fabrication with no basis is, at least in the theists point of view, not true. The Abrahamic religions, for example, all point to specific prophets and texts as evidence for their beliefs and their further beliefs (about the nature of God and so forth) are based on these. Obviously it all depends on whether or not you take these 'words of God' to be valid but it at least shows that the theist does have some grounds for their belief (at least in their opinion)
(edited 4 years ago)
Well there you go.

No. The majority of the literate population believe in God. Again this can't be used as an argument for God just like saying "99% of the world thought the Earth was flat" can't be used to disprove God.
No. The majority of the literate population believe in God. Again this can't be used as an argument for God just like saying "99% of the world thought the Earth was flat" can't be used to disprove God.

That may be true but the population of atheism in first world countries is rising pretty fast.
Original post by A giant chicken
Theists generally do believe that they have evidence for their belief in God, so to say that their claim that God exists and created the world is purely a fabrication with no basis is, at least in the theists point of view, not true. The Abrahamic religions, for example, all point to specific prophets and texts as evidence for their beliefs and their further beliefs (about the nature of God and so forth) are based on these. Obviously it all depends on whether or not you take these 'words of God' to be valid but it at least shows that the theist does have some grounds for their belief (at least in their opinion)

Except I've seen many theists say their "faith"/belief without evidence is the main reason they believe in God.
Except I've seen many theists say their "faith"/belief without evidence is the main reason they believe in God.

So you're saying that you've seen theists claim that they believe in God because they believe in God?

Theists may claim that their faith is their reason for knowing God exists but their faith, whether they explicitly say it or not, will be based on something that they regard as convincing evidence. Otherwise they would be saying that they believe in God because they believe in God which obviously isn't the case. For example I once knew a Christian guy who claimed he believed in God because he just knew he existed. However after some questioning it became apparent that he 'just knew' God existed because of a) what was written in the Bible (which he would count as evidence) and b) because to him the universe showed evidence of design (which would again count as evidence in his point of view) so while on the surface his belief seemed illogical and unjustified it was actually based on hidden premises which included evidence
Original post by PTMalewski
Logic is advanced.
An advanced thing can only be boring for a person who is not capable of understading it's complexity.

If you understand its complexity, is it still "advanced"?

They are, typically, indoctrinated. Insufficient intelligence to indoctrination ratios allow religion to continue.

What's "natural" got to do with it? It's either right or wrong.
(edited 4 years ago)

What?

What is natural and unnatural logic? Am I missing something here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending