The Student Room Group

I need to talk even if it only for a a minute

recently i been getting fear of isolation and I need to talk to someone, anyone, I would love to have a pet to talk and look after because i know that pets are loyal and there by your side no matter what. sometimes i even talk to myself and try to watch youtube videos, in some way,makes me feel a little bit better because it gives me the feeling that someone actually is there taking to me (which is obviously what they intend to do) in some ways a skype call would help me to but its still not enough.
get a cat...they're pretty good company
Original post by luiscruz
recently i been getting fear of isolation and I need to talk to someone, anyone, I would love to have a pet to talk and look after because i know that pets are loyal and there by your side no matter what. sometimes i even talk to myself and try to watch youtube videos, in some way,makes me feel a little bit better because it gives me the feeling that someone actually is there taking to me (which is obviously what they intend to do) in some ways a skype call would help me to but its still not enough.

Hope you are ok. There is nothing wrong with being alone and, if you need some music or whatever in the background, that’s ok.

If you are scared or real life people because they are not loyal then you aren’t alone but you won’t make any real connections without putting yourself out there. Getting a pet won’t fix that problem, just make it easier not to address it.
Reply 3
thanks for reply 👍 and yes cats must be really good company. i once had to look after a dog for a day and he was barking at me so i figured i would take him outside and go for a walk and you know that actually felt good, the dogs seemed happy even though i was trying to make him tired of running. I only had 1 interaction with a stray cat in the backgarden so i dont have much experience with cats or even any pet for that matter
How old are you and are you studying or working?
thanks for reply 👍 and yes cats must be really good company. i once had to look after a dog for a day and he was barking at me so i figured i would take him outside and go for a walk and you know that actually felt good, the dogs seemed happy even though i was trying to make him tired of running. I only had 1 interaction with a stray cat in the backgarden so i dont have much experience with cats or even any pet for that matter

As a first pet, a cat would be easier than a dog but dogs are normally more affectionate.
Reply 6
Original post by FingersXed84
Hope you are ok. There is nothing wrong with being alone and, if you need some music or whatever in the background, that’s ok.

If you are scared or real life people because they are not loyal then you aren’t alone but you won’t make any real connections without putting yourself out there. Getting a pet won’t fix that problem, just make it easier not to address it.

im alright, i appreciate your response, i do have social anxiety, but whenever i get partnered up in class with someone i dont know, then i’m actually very social in that way and not afraid of talking a bit about myself. Its just i always feel better when talking to someone. i never had this fear before for some reason,
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV
How old are you and are you studying or working?

thanks for reply, 17 and got to go to bed for college tomorrow
im alright, i appreciate your response, i do have social anxiety, but whenever i get partnered up in class with someone i dont know, then i’m actually very social in that way and not afraid of talking a bit about myself. Its just i always feel better when talking to someone. i never had this fear before for some reason,

Everyone has fears so don’t beat yourself up about it. I think it’s easier in social situations where the rules are clear like in a group project or a work scenario than in real life chaos. But you have the skills and can use them. Just take the pressure off yourself with it. Every time I get nervous with social situations I just shut my eyes, hold my breath and jump in and it’s always better than it was in my head. That doesn’t mean crappy people don’t exist. You just try to avoid them and find your tribe. Good people exist and they don’t care about moments of awkwardness or stress. They will be there no matter what.
thanks for reply, 17 and got to go to bed for college tomorrow

You could do some volunteer work with animals or something. I know your pain because I have social anxiety as well.
Reply 10
thats for replys👍 and advices
hope things improve soon for you, I usually tell ppl to try finding a new hobby to take their minds off any trouble that they may be experiencing, I started building models due to similar problems I had about 9 years ago and it works great, takes your mind off everything (modelling is expensive but worth it)

I feel so bad for you because I have the same problem, in a whole opposite way to you. I have the fear of talking to people and don't want to unless they're family or I know them already. You could say its anxiety, but. its not even just that I just want to be left alone. not depressed or anything, but I'm much happier doing things I like on my own. and I don't completely isolate myself, but. I don't do any of the things my age ppl do coz honestly I think getting drunk and going to parties is so overrated. but yh overall, I really really feel your pain in the opposite way. :smile:

Don't t get a cat get a pig. They are great.

Quick Reply

Latest