The Student Room Group

Unsure on if I should do engineering or medicine?

I am unsure on whether I should apply for chemical engineering or medicine. I was initially intending on doing natural science but then started thinking more about engineering and chemical engineering although I don’t know too much about it (both my brothers do it). My parents advise me to do medicine bc they believe that I may later regret it and it’s an opportunity that I shouldn’t overlook. I am currently studying Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further maths and am predicted A*s and As. I didn’t choose biology bc frankly I wasn’t fond of it at gcse. My gcse results are maths: 9 Chem: 9 biology: 9 physics: 9, then 8, 7, 7, A, A, 6, B, distinction*. Whilst at first I was against medicine (idek why), I am reconsidering because of how good a pathway and lifestyle it leads to. I am in yr13 rn and am yet to apply for any entrance exams like bmat (I’m not even sure which ones I would need to do). I am hoping to also go to Cambridge.
Don't do Medicine because of the lifestyle... I'm not even sure you could apply to Cambridge Medicine without Biology.

It sounds like you'd rather do Nat Science or Engineering. Go with those.
Original post by Mathstermind
I am unsure on whether I should apply for chemical engineering or medicine. I was initially intending on doing natural science but then started thinking more about engineering and chemical engineering although I don’t know too much about it (both my brothers do it). My parents advise me to do medicine bc they believe that I may later regret it and it’s an opportunity that I shouldn’t overlook. I am currently studying Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further maths and am predicted A*s and As. I didn’t choose biology bc frankly I wasn’t fond of it at gcse. My gcse results are maths: 9 Chem: 9 biology: 9 physics: 9, then 8, 7, 7, A, A, 6, B, distinction*. Whilst at first I was against medicine (idek why), I am reconsidering because of how good a pathway and lifestyle it leads to. I am in yr13 rn and am yet to apply for any entrance exams like bmat (I’m not even sure which ones I would need to do). I am hoping to also go to Cambridge.

You should do whatever course will make you happy. Choosing a degree based on other peoples opinions or the lifestyle it may lead to can cause resentment in the long run. You should enjoy what you're studying, and be excited at the prospect.
Medicine and Engineering are two very different degrees, with Medicine needing a little more thought as there's more groundwork you have to consider and apply for beforehand.
Have a good think about what YOU want, and go from there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending