The Student Room Group

RAF

I just got my results for my GCSE’s and I am able to take higher tier maths, but on the RAF website it doesn’t state if you need higher tier or if foundation tier is ok, I was wondering if it would be worth taking this year.
GCSE higher is completely different from foundation besides the first couple questions. You will need to know what grade you want as foundation only reaches up to grade 5 & requires in the region of 180 marks for it (estimate).

Higher tier requires you to actually solve problems & know equations off by heart (as foundation but more) & requires in the region of 45 marks for a pass (again estimate).

If the RAF requires you to have minimum grade 6 for example that means you can only achieve while sitting the higher tier.
Reply 2
Original post by TheRealSaifali
If the RAF requires you to have minimum grade 6 for example that means you can only achieve while sitting the higher tier.

Original post by Tommmmmmm.f
I just got my results for my GCSE’s and I am able to take higher tier maths, but on the RAF website it doesn’t state if you need higher tier or if foundation tier is ok, I was wondering if it would be worth taking this year.

The RAF minimum requirements for most roles is GCSE grade of 4/5, so if you're able to achieve this, then you've got your foot in the door.

However, that's the minimum. To give yourself the best chance of having a successful application, it helps to do better than the bare minimum, doesn't it?
Reply 3

The RAF requires a grade C GCSE for most roles in both Maths and English. Therefore depending on what level you received already you should be able to work out whether you need to sit a higher level or not to get a grade C equivalent. You should check out the careers website for each role and look at the requirements and also look at the section that shows you what alternative qualifications you could use to get in. A trip to your local AFCO would also help
Original post by Drewski
The RAF minimum requirements for most roles is GCSE grade of 4/5, so if you're able to achieve this, then you've got your foot in the door.

However, that's the minimum. To give yourself the best chance of having a successful application, it helps to do better than the bare minimum, doesn't it?

of course anyone would like the achieve past the minimum grade, but it’s entirely up to OP to decide how much time he’d spend revising, as it requires considerably low amounts of time to achieve a 4 for the average person.

Hi

Which role are you interested in applying for? Different roles have different requirements, so it's difficult to answer with more detail from you.

All entry criteria is listed on each role page on the website, so you can see what you need to get results-wise to be able to apply for a specific role.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Quick Reply

Latest