The Student Room Group

How good do you have to be at maths for Oxbridge Engineering

Hello I’m doing maths, Further maths and Physics. Predicted all A* but was wondering if my math skills would be good enough for Oxbridge engineering
Why not give it a try if you are predicted those grades? Practice with son pat tests if you are unsure.

There are 4 other unis you can put on your ucas form, so it’s not as if you are taking a massive risk applying. Just do some further research into an area that interests you
Original post by Oxford Mum
Why not give it a try if you are predicted those grades? Practice with son pat tests if you are unsure.

There are 4 other unis you can put on your ucas form, so it’s not as if you are taking a massive risk applying. Just do some further research into an area that interests you

Yes thanks
Probably. If you're predicted an A* in fm then there's no real indication of how far your mathematical abilities go, as it's the maximum measured by A level. You could just barely know the A level syllabus but understand it well, but you could also be at PhD level.

That's what their admissions assessments are for. A levels are limited in what they can measure as most applicants will be predicted A*s. You should do their tests like the EngAA, and see how you do with those ,
Original post by Anonymous
Probably. If you're predicted an A* in fm then there's no real indication of how far your mathematical abilities go, as it's the maximum measured by A level. You could just barely know the A level syllabus but understand it well, but you could also be at PhD level.

That's what their admissions assessments are for. A levels are limited in what they can measure as most applicants will be predicted A*s. You should do their tests like the EngAA, and see how you do with those ,

Will do thanks. Do you think the ENGAA or PAT is easier ( I know they are both nearly the same level of difficulty ) as I know the PAT is a calculator paper where as the ENGAA isn’t. Thanks
So will you apply? I sincerely hope so! If you are passionate about your subject you may surprise yourself. You don’t have to be a genius to get into Oxford you know! Xx
Original post by Anonymous_guy011
Will do thanks. Do you think the ENGAA or PAT is easier ( I know they are both nearly the same level of difficulty ) as I know the PAT is a calculator paper where as the ENGAA isn’t. Thanks

I'm not entirely sure since I've never done a PAT paper. (the anonymous post is me btw, I accidentally pressed anon)

I did the NSAA (which uses many of the same questions as the ENGAA for my selected parts), and I didn't really feel a calculator would have benefited me in the half where I wasn't allowed one. The questions are mainly symbolic or qualitative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending