The Student Room Group

[AMA] Did my MA at the (then) worst-ranked UK uni, earn £7k/mo net (plus bonus) now

Fire away!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please reply to my post with your autobiography of your life so far

kthx

[Edit] Ok this isn't a question.. what is your job, where do you work, what were your previous jobs?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ikeo
Please reply to my post with your autobiography of your life so far

kthx

[Edit] Ok this isn't a question.. what is your job, where do you work, what were your previous jobs?

Can't you see my signature? It's all in there.
Reply 3
Although you did your Mastees at LSBU you also have another degree from Germany

So that might imply you are successful because of the other degree and the lsbu Masters didn't help you at all?
Reply 4
What uni did you do your MA in? :smile:
Original post by Nununu
Although you did your Mastees at LSBU you also have another degree from Germany

So that might imply you are successful because of the other degree and the lsbu Masters didn't help you at all?

You be the judge. Aren't all German universities mediocre at best, according to Russell Group snob brigade?
Original post by diancie
What uni did you do your MA in? :smile:

London South Bank University. It's in my profile and signature.
Reply 7
Original post by GenialGermanGent
You be the judge. Aren't all German universities mediocre at best, according to Russell Group snob brigade?

I'm not one of them. Especially since there are now more German unis in the top 400 than British.

But what do u think? If u just had the Masters with LSBU, where would u be now.
Original post by Nununu
I'm not one of them. Especially since there are now more German unis in the top 400 than British.

Not in the top 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 though - i.e. the ranks that typically produce people with a salary like mine. And certainly not 8 years ago, when I graduated.

Original post by Nununu
But what do u think? If u just had the Masters with LSBU, where would u be now.

Purely hypothetical question, as you can't do a Masters without a Bachelors, at least in Business/Management. My point is to dis-prove the -often festishized- notion that uni rankings have a huge effect on your success and earnings, especially a few years down the line, or are indicative of your intelligence and potential.
Reply 9
Not in the top 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 though - i.e. the ranks that typically produce people with a salary like mine. And certainly not 8 years ago, when I graduated.

Purely hypothetical question, as you can't do a Masters without a Bachelors, at least in Business/Management. My point is to dis-prove the -often festishized- notion that uni rankings have a huge effect on your success and earnings, especially a few years down the line, or are indicative of your intelligence and potential.

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought u did the German degree after the lsbu one.

So tell about the timeline after getting the masters.
Original post by Nununu
So tell about the timeline after getting the masters.

Don't know why you can't see my signature under my first post, but here goes:

2 years in Management Consulting in Europe
5.5 years in strategy and project management in Automotive in East Asia and the Middle East
Reply 11
Don't know why you can't see my signature under my first post, but here goes:

2 years in Management Consulting in Europe
5.5 years in strategy and project management in Automotive in East Asia and the Middle East

You've taken on German culture.....

Normally people who make these threads elaborate a bit.

"So I wasnt sure what I wanted to do after my Masters but I saw this amazing opportunity for Management Consultanting in an exciting country abroad and.....etc".
Original post by Nununu
You've taken on German culture.....

Normally people who make these threads elaborate a bit.

"So I wasnt sure what I wanted to do after my Masters but I saw this amazing opportunity for Management Consultanting in an exciting country abroad and.....etc".

That may be the case because I actually AM German. Don't be fooled by my perfect English.

...and I've never been unsure about a next step in my life, that's not how you get to my salary level :wink:
How often do you work? and for how many hours, how many days of holiday do you receive?
Original post by dontevenknow2
How often do you work? and for how many hours, how many days of holiday do you receive?

In my current position I work Sunday though Thursday (the standard work-week in the Middle East), usually 10-11 hours. It used to be more during my consulting years. Vacation allowance is 24 days.
In my current position I work Sunday though Thursday (the standard work-week in the Middle East), usually 10-11 hours. It used to be more during my consulting years. Vacation allowance is 24 days.

I want to do something business related, I achieved grade 9 at GCSE but i dont know what path to choose, as there are so many jobs linked with it, and salary is important to me also

I mean your working abroad...the middle east has alot of lifestyle short comings due to the social differences... Also what's the cost of living like where you are?

All these factor's play a role... For example if your living in Kuwait right now your likely struggling.

But of course i guess where you get your degree isn't that important... But it's also no unimportant. You may aswell go as high as your grades allow.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I mean your working abroad...the middle east has alot of lifestyle short comings due to the social differences... Also what's the cost of living like where you are?

All these factor's play a role... For example if your living in Kuwait right now your likely struggling.

But of course i guess where you get your degree isn't that important... But it's also no unimportant. You may aswell go as high as your grades allow.

Yup, there's a trade-off for being an expat, but also upsides (broadening of cultural horizon, tax-free income, etc.). Cost of living is insane, comparable to maybe Kensington or Chelsea in the UK. We pay £4k a month for our 2-bedroom apartment, a plate of spag-bol at a decent restaurant is £25.

Kuwait is actually doing ok, economy (and the premium car market) is growing. UAE and Bahrain are suffering.

Well, I believe my example shows that the uni you go to is pretty much irrelevant, or at least no deal-breaker for being successful.
What do you think about Brexit dough
4K a month rent lol. That doesn’t mean you’re very successful because the country you love in has Hugh costs of living, it means that you live the same lifestyle as anyone in the U.K. who can own a luxurious home with 2k a month mortgage
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending