The Student Room Group

Am I qualified to get into a degree apprenticeship

My highest qualification is a Level 3 Access course in Electrical Engineering. I received a Pass grade. I also have 9 GCSEs including an A in Maths, and a B in English.

Would it be possible for me to get accepted into a software engineering degree apprenticeship such as the 'Digital solutions' programme? And is it too late if I apply now to get accepted into the 2019 intake?

(I also am enrolled on an online coding academy for beginners just to illustrate my genuine interest in the field to training providers)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kaizoku22
My highest qualification is a Level 3 Access course in Electrical Engineering. I received a Pass grade. I also have 9 GCSEs including an A in Maths, and a B in English.

Would it be possible for me to get accepted into a software engineering degree apprenticeship such as the 'Digital solutions' programme? And is it too late if I apply now to get accepted into the 2019 intake?

(I also am enrolled on an online coding academy for beginners just to illustrate my genuine interest in the field to training providers)

Was it a full level 3 Access to HE diploma as they are normally graded by 45 credits spread amongst Passes, Merits and Distinctions.
BTEC level 3 is normally 3 letters of PMD i.e DDD.

You need to look at the entrance requirements for figital solutions and see if you meet them. It will take you 5 mins.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Was it a full level 3 Access to HE diploma as they are normally graded by 45 credits spread amongst Passes, Merits and Distinctions.
BTEC level 3 is normally 3 letters of PMD i.e DDD.

You need to look at the entrance requirements for figital solutions and see if you meet them. It will take you 5 mins.

Yes, a full Access to HE Diploma with 45 credits.

I looked at a lot of digital solutions courses and their requirements, but they hardly ever mention Access to HE in there. Just A levels, and BTEC usually
Yes, a full Access to HE Diploma with 45 credits.

I looked at a lot of digital solutions courses and their requirements, but they hardly ever mention Access to HE in there. Just A levels, and BTEC usually

What grades did you get pmd? Just saying pass means very little.
What grades are they looking for?
Have you considered asking them?

Access is really a bridge course to get to uni.
Reply 4
What grades did you get pmd? Just saying pass means very little.
What grades are they looking for?
Have you considered asking them?

Access is really a bridge course to get to uni.

I got 1 Distinction, 4 Merits, and 9 Passes. In terms of access grades, I don't know since they never display interest in them. I've tried calling training providers such as Capgemini, IBM, and KPMG many times but to no avail.

Access can also be a way to get into a degree level apprenticeship can't it?
Reply 5
Btecs can take you into employment and apprenticeships and btec level 3 takes you to degree level apprenticeships. A Levels and access courses are used for university entrance
I got 1 Distinction, 4 Merits, and 9 Passes. In terms of access grades, I don't know since they never display interest in them. I've tried calling training providers such as Capgemini, IBM, and KPMG many times but to no avail.

Access can also be a way to get into a degree level apprenticeship can't it?

That only adds to 14 so which one was a double?

Its the employers that decide if they will accept and what grades they require.
It is usually used for uni entrance.
Both access and degree apprenticeships are relatively new.
Just ask them and if they say no, then you have your answer.

Your grades arent very strong either They are akin to DDD or less at A level.
All you cna do is id the vacancies and check entrance requirements.
Reply 7
That only adds to 14 so which one was a double?

Its the employers that decide if they will accept and what grades they require.
It is usually used for uni entrance.
Both access and degree apprenticeships are relatively new.
Just ask them and if they say no, then you have your answer.

Your grades arent very strong either They are akin to DDD or less at A level.
All you cna do is id the vacancies and check entrance requirements.

One of the merits was a double.

Since my grades aren't the best, and I really want to avoid the tuition fees of a student loan, would you say my best course of action would be to do a level 4 in an IT subject, to bump up my qualification when applying for a degree apprenticeship. Bearing in mind I'm 21 and wasted a good few years already
One of the merits was a double.

Since my grades aren't the best, and I really want to avoid the tuition fees of a student loan, would you say my best course of action would be to do a level 4 in an IT subject, to bump up my qualification when applying for a degree apprenticeship. Bearing in mind I'm 21 and wasted a good few years already

Yep I accounted for that.
A level 4 in IT will be the equivalent of a HNC and come from uni funding.
Because your grades are so low, do you think you can cope with and get a decent degree?
Student loans are quasi debt and you wont be chased and are unlikely to pay all of it back anyway.
The key is not to use it until ready and you can make the most of it.
A level 4 will eat into your degree allowance funding.

I suspect with many degree apprenticeships they are looking more for 120+ UCAS points, but you have to look at their criteria.
You might be better off getting any work experience plus any industry standard qualifications as they are cheaper.
Maybe do some coding opr do some volunteering in IT?
Yopu would need to speak to someone in the industry to know what they are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending