The Student Room Group

2 people in same school applying to same Oxford course?

If me and my friend both apply for the same course in Oxford, is there a less chance we would both get in?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous_guy011
If me and my friend both apply for the same course in Oxford, is there a less chance we would both get in?

No, especially not if you're applying to different colleges.
Original post by RichE

Thanks
Original post by RichE

For engineering, is it slightly easier to get into Cambridge or oxford?
For engineering, is it slightly easier to get into Cambridge or oxford?

It's not easier to get into one or the other. You should apply to the university you like the most, look at which course interests you more and go from there!
Original post by ChChOxford
It's not easier to get into one or the other. You should apply to the university you like the most, look at which course interests you more and go from there!

Thanks, do you go oxford by the way? If 2 people from the school apply to the same college same subject would it hinder either of our applications?
Thanks, do you go oxford by the way? If 2 people from the school apply to the same college same subject would it hinder either of our applications?

I did go to Oxford! The only thing to consider is that you are directly competing against each other for a place if you do that. It would be difficult for the tutors interviewing you to not directly compare you. If you applied to different colleges, there would be less chance of that happening - although with the pooling system, it is possible you'll end up at the same college. My advice is both apply to the college that you like the most. If you both get into different colleges, that also gives you a great opportunity to go to the other college's parties and dinners so it's probably best to apply to different colleges anyway!

Hope this helps, and good look to you and your friend's applications!
I did go to Oxford! The only thing to consider is that you are directly competing against each other for a place if you do that. It would be difficult for the tutors interviewing you to not directly compare you. If you applied to different colleges, there would be less chance of that happening - although with the pooling system, it is possible you'll end up at the same college. My advice is both apply to the college that you like the most. If you both get into different colleges, that also gives you a great opportunity to go to the other college's parties and dinners so it's probably best to apply to different colleges anyway!

Hope this helps, and good look to you and your friend's applications!

Thanks, and for oxford is it a thing where the top colleges are more competitive to get into and some less popular colleges have a lit but less competition? ( although I know it’s pretty much the same however more ‘elite’ students would be applying to the popular colleges
Thanks, and for oxford is it a thing where the top colleges are more competitive to get into and some less popular colleges have a lit but less competition? ( although I know it’s pretty much the same however more ‘elite’ students would be applying to the popular colleges

No, this isn't the case. Your chances of getting into Oxford are identical no matter which college you apply to. Oversubscribed colleges automatically reallocate students to under-subscribed colleges, and there's the Common Framework for admissions which ensures every applicant has a fair chance. Often, colleges that you assume are over-subscribed are actually under-subscribed because everybody tries to game the system! The best advice is apply to the college you like the most - and that's it!
No, this isn't the case. Your chances of getting into Oxford are identical no matter which college you apply to. Oversubscribed colleges automatically reallocate students to under-subscribed colleges, and there's the Common Framework for admissions which ensures every applicant has a fair chance. Often, colleges that you assume are over-subscribed are actually under-subscribed because everybody tries to game the system! The best advice is apply to the college you like the most - and that's it!

Cool thanks for that I will be doing so, is there any college you personally recommend from your experience, I’ve been to oxford and liked most colleges but not LMH. Also what subject are you doing
Cool thanks for that I will be doing so, is there any college you personally recommend from your experience, I’ve been to oxford and liked most colleges but not LMH. Also what subject are you doing

I studied Spanish and Linguistics, and now work for Christ Church - it's one of the more central colleges in Oxford. All colleges have their pluses, Christ Church is beautiful and although we have lots of undergraduates there's a really strong student community. We also have lots of grants available, and food and accommodation is subsidised - a three course meal only costs around £3 a night!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending