The Student Room Group

Does Oxford even read personal statements for STEM

Do oxford put much emphasis on personal statement for STEM subjects (Want to apply for engineering) thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous_guy011
Do oxford put much emphasis on personal statement for STEM subjects (Want to apply for engineering) thanks

I can’t say for sure, but this is the information I gathered from some of the tutors/professors at Oxford during an open day.

They all said more or less the same thing - they check the personal statements are relevant to the course and have good grammar and all that. But they don’t place too much emphasis on them really as they are aware some students get ridiculous amounts of help writing theirs. What you write is still important though, as they said they often will use some of the mentioned topics/experiences to begin the conversation in the interview or to be the initial focus. So I’d just write about what you’ve done that will help you study engineering at university and what you’re passionate about in your subject as your interest will come across if it’s brought up at interview!!

But for STEM, they place much more value on your entrance exam, GCSEs and predicted grades, alongside your teacher references. Best of luck with your application, which college are you thinking of applying to??
@BrasenoseAdm might know summit.
Original post by lemmens
I can’t say for sure, but this is the information I gathered from some of the tutors/professors at Oxford during an open day.

They all said more or less the same thing - they check the personal statements are relevant to the course and have good grammar and all that. But they don’t place too much emphasis on them really as they are aware some students get ridiculous amounts of help writing theirs. What you write is still important though, as they said they often will use some of the mentioned topics/experiences to begin the conversation in the interview or to be the initial focus. So I’d just write about what you’ve done that will help you study engineering at university and what you’re passionate about in your subject as your interest will come across if it’s brought up at interview!!

But for STEM, they place much more value on your entrance exam, GCSEs and predicted grades, alongside your teacher references. Best of luck with your application, which college are you thinking of applying to??

Thanks
Reply 4
Yes, they asked me about things I’d wrote on my PS in my interview at Oxford.
Original post by tbofig
Yes, they asked me about things I’d wrote on my PS in my interview at Oxford.

What subject did you do the interview for, thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous_guy011
What subject did you do the interview for, thanks

Biochemistry (MBiochem)
Original post by Notoriety
@BrasenoseAdm might know summit.

Hola Notoriety,

We would broadly agree with the points made by Lemmens and can add the following. The PS along with the reference does also on occasion provide relevant information about personal circumstances. We can also recall some rare instances where a decision needed to be made between two candidates guaranteed an offer with identical rankings. The choice lay between retaining one and exporting the other. Our selectors looked at again the whole application including the PS and this aspect of the application had a bearing on the final decision.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by Chinemerem1
I think different stem subjects handle personal statements differently, as well as the different colleges. I was interviewed at St Hilda's and Keble for Biomed and neither mentioned my personal statement, but I know others from other STEM subjects did get questioned on it.

Thanks, yes ok I just wanted to know how much emphasis it had, I will focus more on the entrance exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending