The Student Room Group

Prove by contradiction

Need help with this question. Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dasda
Need help with this question. Thanks

What have you tried? The proof is pretty much the same as for 2\sqrt{2}.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
What have you tried? The proof is pretty much the same as for 2\sqrt{2}.

I cubed both sides and ended up with 2=a^3/b^3. I then put 2a^3=b^3. I then said that b=(2n)^3
Original post by dasda
I cubed both sides and ended up with 2=a^3/b^3. I then put 2a^3=b^3. I then said that b=(2n)^3

You are jumping across landscapes here with this argument. Too many missing links to a point where you're confusing yourself.

Firstly, you need to hammer down the fact that you assume cube root 2 is rational, this means expressing it in the irreducible form a/b where a is some integer and b is a natural number. The irreducible part is key here.

Secondly, you cube both sides and get 2 = a^3/b^3 and this is the same as 2b^3 = a^3. You got this the wrong way round in yours. Be careful!
So, we know that a^3 is even. What does this tell us about a itself?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
You are jumping across landscapes here with this argument. Too many missing links to a point where you're confusing yourself.

Firstly, you need to hammer down the fact that you assume cube root 2 is rational, this means expressing it in the form a/b where a and b are irreducible. And that's a key word.

Secondly, you cube both sides and get 2 = a^3/b^3 and this is the same as 2b^3 = a^3. You got this the wrong way round in yours. Be careful!
So, we know that a^3 is even. What does this tell us about a itself?

A is even.
Original post by dasda
A is even.

Therefore you can express it in the form a=2na=2n for some integer nn. What next?
Reply 6
a=2n^3
Original post by dasda
a=2n^3

Nope. Where did that come from?
Reply 8
Nope. Where did that come from?

i assumed since a was even and the equation has a^3, we would cube 2n
Original post by dasda
i assumed since a was even and the equation has a^3, we would cube 2n

Yes we do, but you cubed it incorrectly, and didn't write a^3 to indicate it. If you're cubing 2n you need to cube the 2 as well.

(2n)3=23n3(2n)^3 = 2^3n^3
Reply 10
so 8n^3
Original post by dasda
so 8n^3

Yes, a3=8n3a^3 = 8n^3. What next?
Reply 12
Yes we do, but you cubed it incorrectly, and didn't write a^3 to indicate it. If you're cubing 2n you need to cube the 2 as well.

(2n)3=23n3(2n)^3 = 2^3n^3

is it 8a^3=b^3
Original post by dasda
is it 8a^3=b^3

Nope.

We have 2b3=a32b^3 = a^3 so it becomes 2b3=8n32b^3 = 8n^3.
Reply 14
Nope.

We have 2b3=a32b^3 = a^3 so it becomes 2b3=8n32b^3 = 8n^3.

this is the step I am unsure about. I would divide both sides by 2
Original post by dasda
this is the step I am unsure about. I would divide both sides by 2

Yep, so b3=4n3b^3 = 4n^3. What does this tell you about about b3b^3 ?? Hence bb ?
Reply 16
I would say b is even.
Original post by dasda
I would say b is even.

Indeed. Do you see the contradiction now? Since a and b must both be even.

Have a look at my post #4 on this thread and what assumptions we have made if you're not seeing the contradiction immediately.
Reply 18

Have a look at my post #4 on this thread and what assumptions we have made if you're not seeing the contradiction immediately.

you assumed that the irrational was irreducible. but we got a factor of 2 and 1 so our assumption is incorrect
Reply 19
is that a correct line of thinking

Quick Reply

Latest