The Student Room Group

I accidentally drove through a red light and I really worried!

Hi,

I have accidentally ran through a red light. Whilst there were no excuses, there were temporary lights ahead and I was focusing on them instead on the ones I ran through. Thank god nothing bad happened but I can't stop worrying about the consequences of having done it.

I have attached the traffic light in this post. Some apparently have just sensors whilst others have cameras and things to catch idiots like me. Would this camera had likely caught me?

Any response would be great, I am super worried about it all!
A lot of those cameras are average speed check. What this means is it will take a photo of your car at one traffic light and again at the next traffic light and work out how much time it took you to get from one to the other and therefore if you were speeding. I think you will be okay. All you can do is wait and see if anything comes through in the post and if it does, it will only be a fine. They usually send letters within 3 weeks of the incident, but I honestly believe you’ll be okay.
Reply 2
Original post by Basicallylazy
Hi,

I have accidentally ran through a red light. Whilst there were no excuses, there were temporary lights ahead and I was focusing on them instead on the ones I ran through. Thank god nothing bad happened but I can't stop worrying about the consequences of having done it.

I have attached the traffic light in this post. Some apparently have just sensors whilst others have cameras and things to catch idiots like me. Would this camera had likely caught me?

For ****s sake...

Original post by Runescapian
A lot of those cameras are average speed check. What this means is it will take a photo of your car at one traffic light and again at the next traffic light and work out how much time it took you to get from one to the other and therefore if you were speeding.

What the hell are you talking about?
Hi,

girl, i may be blind, but is that a sensor?
That's a sensor, don't believe the average check *******s a user has made up.

Original post by Runescapian
A lot of those cameras are average speed check. What this means is it will take a photo of your car at one traffic light and again at the next traffic light and work out how much time it took you to get from one to the other and therefore if you were speeding. I think you will be okay. All you can do is wait and see if anything comes through in the post and if it does, it will only be a fine. They usually send letters within 3 weeks of the incident, but I honestly believe you’ll be okay.

Not average check cameras and not within 3 weeks. Fake news.
Hi,

That is a traffic sensor, not a camera. Average speed cameras are usually on tall yellow poles and are not used as red light cameras. There are many different types of cameras, but the most common type of red light camera is very similar to a speed camera. Usually, those cameras are positioned before the red light with the white markings on the road for speeding drivers. They check your speed and flash you at the same time you go through the red light. In London, as far as I know, the police are stricter if you were rushing through the red light before they send a ticket. For example, you could get 6 points if you exceed the speed limit and go through a red light (3 for each), and more if they have CCTV footage of the same car performing "dangerous driving" or "driving without due care and attention". Fortunately for you, however, it seems there were only traffic sensors and not a red light camera and CCTV footage does not always prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. So I wouldn't worry about it this time but would recommend you reflect deeply upon this experience and think about how you are going to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I don't want to lecture you or make you feel bad, but I have learned by experience that there isn't really an excuse for going through a red light, speeding, or generally not complying with the law. The majority of errors like this are caused by driving too quickly, relative to thinking speed and the road conditions. This particularly includes drivers that drive at the speed limit all the time; often it is not appropriate if you want to really pay attention and is a bad habit that affects the safety of others. Driving is far more of a responsibility than most people realise, so if this becomes a recurring problem, I would suggest having more driving lessons or having a tune-up session with someone from the IAM. Also, some dashcams that you can buy will warn you about most cameras as a helpful reminder to moderate your speed (such as ThinkWare) or stop for a red light. You cannot rely on them, but just a nice reminder, and a way to record if you have an accident.

At a minimum, I would recommend reading the highway code again and perhaps buying a copy of Roadcraft may also benefit you. Roadcraft is used by most driving instructors and police officers to improve their driving skills.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending