The Student Room Group

GCSE remarking- how does it work?

Hello! I got a grade 7 in History from my recent exams which i was happy with. Just received a letter from school offering to pay for a remark as i was 2 marks from a grade 8. Two questions:
1) should i do it? as it is a possibility my grade could go down.
2) if my grade does go up, what happens then will i receive a new copy of my results? Do i need to tell my college??

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

Do you need the grade 8 for sixth form?

If it was me, I wouldn’t risk it. A grade 7 is good enough and the chances of it going down is possible.

If you do decide to have it remarked and your grade goes up or even down, you’ll receive a new set of results and they will be used as your official results.
@Hazzabear Hello, no i don’t need it but i thought i might as well? I achieved 100 marks. 102 is an 8 and 90 marks is when my grade would drop down to a 6. There is a chance my 100 mark will go down but not enough to drop me to a grade 6 is there? Thank you for responding by the way.
wow schools offer to pay for remarks?
@mez_merising my school only do if they think it’s worth it and that we will actually get an improved grade so it has to be only a few marks off. I can’t speak for all schools!
Original post by Nicolebarkham
@Hazzabear Hello, no i don’t need it but i thought i might as well? I achieved 100 marks. 102 is an 8 and 90 marks is when my grade would drop down to a 6. There is a chance my 100 mark will go down but not enough to drop me to a grade 6 is there? Thank you for responding by the way.

There could be enough to drop down, I was going to get one of my papers remarked as it’s one mark away but I’m not chancing it this year with the amount of students dropping grades.
Reply 6
Original post by Hazzabear
There could be enough to drop down, I was going to get one of my papers remarked as it’s one mark away but I’m not chancing it this year with the amount of students dropping grades.

I haven’t heard of any students dropping grades this year
Original post by Sazb
I haven’t heard of any students dropping grades this year

You haven’t?

Where have you been looking?
Reply 8
You haven’t?

Where have you been looking?

Everywhere, but mainly on here. What areas have u heard where students have dropped a grade? My daughter has been advised to have 3 subjects reviewed and now I am worried
Original post by Sazb
Everywhere, but mainly on here. What areas have u heard where students have dropped a grade? My daughter has been advised to have 3 subjects reviewed and now I am worried

English language/literature
Mathematics,
Science (triple and double!)
And history.

I’ve then seen students who have had their papers remarked and their grades have not improved, even if they were 1/2 grades close to the boundary.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
English language/literature
Mathematics,
Science (triple and double!)
And history.

I’ve then seen students who have had their papers remarked and their grades have not improved, even if they were 1/2 grades close to the boundary.

Thank you , I have seen a lot where grades have remained the same. I guess this makes sense as exam boards don’t wish to be proven wrong. My daughter has been advised to have English language (edquas) and Biology and chemistry (aqa - single science) remarked . Is between 1-5 marks out.
Original post by Sazb
Thank you , I have seen a lot where grades have remained the same. I guess this makes sense as exam boards don’t wish to be proven wrong. My daughter has been advised to have English language (edquas) and Biology and chemistry (aqa - single science) remarked . Is between 1-5 marks out.

Bear in mind five marks is quite a lot for another examiner to find. What grades did she get, does your daughter necessary need to go up a grade and risk it?
Reply 12
Bear in mind five marks is quite a lot for another examiner to find. What grades did she get, does your daughter necessary need to go up a grade and risk it?

She is 1 Mark off Chemistry
5 marks off English language (though the teachers have seen the papers and think she has been harshly marked in both written areas)
4 marks off biology ( would need to lose 9 marks to go down a grade)
Reply 13
Original post by Sazb
She is 1 Mark off Chemistry
5 marks off English language (though the teachers have seen the papers and think she has been harshly marked in both written areas)
4 marks off biology ( would need to lose 9 marks to go down a grade)

Have u heard of students losing marks in these areas, and if so how many marks? And where have u seen it? Thanks
REviewed one paper for English Literature increased by 5 marks so went a grade up (OCR)
Reply 15
Original post by hrr123456
REviewed one paper for English Literature increased by 5 marks so went a grade up (OCR)

That’s great news, well done! Did you have any others reviews?
Yes physics stayed same
Reply 17
Original post by hrr123456
Yes physics stayed same

That’s a shame, what exam board was it, and did u gain any more marks?
No marks stayed the same was 1 mark off for grade 9
Ocr
Hi,
I was 2 marks off a grade 7 in maths which was what I needed to do A level maths, my teacher got the papers back and remarked them himself and got it checked by other teachers and found one question that had been marked incorrectly meaning I would get one more mark. I then requested to get just that paper remarked and not the whole set of 3 as the marks would be less likely to change due to marks that had been awarded incorrectly and marks that I hadn’t been given balancing out. I got the remark back within a few days and I had gained 2 marks meaning I now have a grade 7.
It’s probably best to contact your teacher and ask them which specific paper they think hasn’t been marked correctly and only request for that one to be remarked. My school told us to fill out a form saying what paper we wanted remarking and to give them a cheque then if the marks stay the same we still had to pay the remark fee but if the marks changed they would pay the fee and we would get the cheque back.
Hope this helps 😀
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest