The Student Room Group

economics

I want to apply to either St Andrews or Warwick for Economics BsC. Which one will an applicant have more of a chance of getting in to? Also, are Leeds, Bath, Loughborough and Bristol good unis for economics? Any other high tier/good unis other than Oxbridge and Durham?
All of those unis are strong!
The best and most competitive unis for economics though are Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL. This is pretty widely agreed upon

The tier below isn’t as concrete tho... Bristol, St Andrews and Bath are all strong, then Leeds, then Loughborough in my opinion. But as I said, all of them are good
Original post by JD2468
The best and most competitive unis for economics though are Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL. This is pretty widely agreed upon

The tier below isn’t as concrete tho... Bristol, St Andrews and Bath are all strong, then Leeds, then Loughborough in my opinion. But as I said, all of them are good

i would have given this answer word for word. infact letter for letter!
Original post by JD2468

Whoops I forgot about Durham! That would be the same tier as Bristol/St.A/Bath, but be aware that Durham's course is a Bachelor of Arts, not a Bachelor of Science like most others, apparently because it’s more theoretical than mathematical
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i would have given this answer word for word. infact letter for letter!

Haha thanks! :smile:
Thanks!! You have been very helpful! I’m potentially considering all economics bsc for all my uni choices, except economics and finance for Bristol. If I did economics and finance at Bristol, will I still have a chance to do a masters in economics elsewhere after? Also, how different will my career prospects be after graduating with Economics BSc, Economics and Finance or Economics and Management because from what I understand is that there are many optional module throughout your 3 years that you may choose to do. Is the economics and finance degree seen as less prestigious to employers compared to just the Economics BSc?
Original post by Utd4life0101
Thanks!! You have been very helpful! I’m potentially considering all economics bsc for all my uni choices, except economics and finance for Bristol. If I did economics and finance at Bristol, will I still have a chance to do a masters in economics elsewhere after? Also, how different will my career prospects be after graduating with Economics BSc, Economics and Finance or Economics and Management because from what I understand is that there are many optional module throughout your 3 years that you may choose to do. Is the economics and finance degree seen as less prestigious to employers compared to just the Economics BSc?

Hmmm definitely check this yourself because I don’t wanna mislead you, but as far as I know most of the top MSc courses want a degree in pure economics or at least a course that covers intermediate micro, macro and econometrics

In terms of career prospects, it’s hard to say but I doubt it’d change that much. Employers will know that economics is more competitive than econ+finance, but if you know that you want go into the finance industry then it could work in your favour... From what I’ve heard usually the university matters more to them than the course, so take that how you want (maybe go for what you like more and would be more likely to succeed in?)

But if I was in your position I would just choose straight econ at Bristol because the course still offers finance/banking modules in year 2 and year 3, and you’ll keep just as many career/masters options open as econ+finance, if not more :smile:
Original post by JD2468
Hmmm definitely check this yourself because I don’t wanna mislead you, but as far as I know most of the top MSc courses want a degree in pure economics or at least a course that covers intermediate micro, macro and econometrics

In terms of career prospects, it’s hard to say but I doubt it’d change that much. Employers will know that economics is more competitive than econ+finance, but if you know that you want go into the finance industry then it could work in your favour... From what I’ve heard usually the university matters more to them than the course, so take that how you want (maybe go for what you like more and would be more likely to succeed in?)

But if I was in your position I would just choose straight econ at Bristol because the course still offers finance/banking modules in year 2 and year 3, and you’ll keep just as many career/masters options open as econ+finance, if not more :smile:

thank you once again! I would like to apply for straight economics at Bristol, however, I know how competitive it is. It also has A*AA entry requirements which I'm not particularly keen on as I don't think I'll be able to pull out an A* in one my subjects (hence why I was only looking to apply to Bath with those requirements) - I do Biology, Chemistry, and Maths. Did an AS in Economics and got an A but then moved sixth forms as moved location so transport was an issue - would have continued economics at new sixth form but the exam board is different. Any advice on pulling out an A/A* in my subjects? Also, if I did Econ and finance at Bristol but took quite a few strictly economics optional modules over the 3 years (and Bristol does intermediate micro and macro as well as econometrics 1 and 2 as compulsory modules) would I leave myself in a good position? Would you recommend MSc after the BSc? Will it boost my career prospects? Also, how difficult is it to obtain an offer from Bath, St Andrews, Leeds, Loughborough and Bristol in general in your opinion?
thank you once again! I would like to apply for straight economics at Bristol, however, I know how competitive it is. It also has A*AA entry requirements which I'm not particularly keen on as I don't think I'll be able to pull out an A* in one my subjects (hence why I was only looking to apply to Bath with those requirements) - I do Biology, Chemistry, and Maths. Did an AS in Economics and got an A but then moved sixth forms as moved location so transport was an issue - would have continued economics at new sixth form but the exam board is different. Any advice on pulling out an A/A* in my subjects? Also, if I did Econ and finance at Bristol but took quite a few strictly economics optional modules over the 3 years (and Bristol does intermediate micro and macro as well as econometrics 1 and 2 as compulsory modules) would I leave myself in a good position? Would you recommend MSc after the BSc? Will it boost my career prospects? Also, how difficult is it to obtain an offer from Bath, St Andrews, Leeds, Loughborough and Bristol in general in your opinion?

Oh wow that’s a lot of questions 😅 I’m definitely not the best person to ask but I’ll try my best

There isn’t really a shortcut to getting As/A*s , but you did well at AS Level so just continue working hard! Past papers are really helpful, especially in maths. And try to start making notes early, so it’s easier to revise in the summer

In that case, I can’t say for sure but I don’t see anything wrong with taking econ+finance. The course seems to have the core econ modules so that looks fine to me. I’d say make sure you like the look of the mandatory finance modules though! You shouldn’t choose a course you like less over another just because the entry requirements are lower

For the necessity of MSc, it depends on what career you want to go down I think. E.g if you want to go into investment banking, it’s not needed. When you start uni, you usually apply for a ‘spring week’ in the first year, and for ‘internships’ at the end of the second year. If you do well in them, you can get invited to continue working after the third year of uni is finished. So you can basically go straight from uni to working without the need of an MSc. But if you fail to land a placement once uni is finished then you’d have to apply for the waaaaay more competitive graduate scheme. So in that case an MSc is useful to boost your CV.
But if you want to be an economist then a masters is very very helpful, if not needed (sometimes even a PhD).
In summary you shouldn’t be deciding whether to take an MSc or not yet since you don’t know what career options you have open at the moment!

Assuming you have A*AA predictions and a strong personal statement/reference, I’d be shocked if you didn’t get into Loughborough.
I know someone who got into Leeds for econ+maths with AAA predictions so take that how you will! (Doesn’t seem like you need to really exceed the entry requirement, getting the minimum also seems ok, so I think you could definitely get a Leeds offer)

Bath, St Andrews and Bristol are a bit more competitive to be honest. St Andrews only require AAA but I know someone who got rejected with way way higher predictions. And the number of students at the uni is smaller than most. Apparently they favour Scottish/internationals more too, but that’s just what I’ve heard so don’t take that as 100% truth!
I think you should research the admissions rate of Bath and Bristol, because I’m not sure :/
I know a lot of Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL rejects (or even a few people who got offers) who are still very good go to Bristol because it’s arguably the best econ uni in the tier below and the city is very nice! So Bristol might be quite competitive.

So definitely research the admissions rates and make sure you apply to unis with a range of different requirements/entry requirements! E.g. Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Leeds, Loughborough

Sorry I’m not the best person to ask but I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by JD2468
Oh wow that’s a lot of questions 😅 I’m definitely not the best person to ask but I’ll try my best

There isn’t really a shortcut to getting As/A*s , but you did well at AS Level so just continue working hard! Past papers are really helpful, especially in maths. And try to start making notes early, so it’s easier to revise in the summer

In that case, I can’t say for sure but I don’t see anything wrong with taking econ+finance. The course seems to have the core econ modules so that looks fine to me. I’d say make sure you like the look of the mandatory finance modules though! You shouldn’t choose a course you like less over another just because the entry requirements are lower

For the necessity of MSc, it depends on what career you want to go down I think. E.g if you want to go into investment banking, it’s not needed. When you start uni, you usually apply for a ‘spring week’ in the first year, and for ‘internships’ at the end of the second year. If you do well in them, you can get invited to continue working after the third year of uni is finished. So you can basically go straight from uni to working without the need of an MSc. But if you fail to land a placement once uni is finished then you’d have to apply for the waaaaay more competitive graduate scheme. So in that case an MSc is useful to boost your CV.
But if you want to be an economist then a masters is very very helpful, if not needed (sometimes even a PhD).
In summary you shouldn’t be deciding whether to take an MSc or not yet since you don’t know what career options you have open at the moment!

Assuming you have A*AA predictions and a strong personal statement/reference, I’d be shocked if you didn’t get into Loughborough.
I know someone who got into Leeds for econ+maths with AAA predictions so take that how you will! (Doesn’t seem like you need to really exceed the entry requirement, getting the minimum also seems ok, so I think you could definitely get a Leeds offer)

Bath, St Andrews and Bristol are a bit more competitive to be honest. St Andrews only require AAA but I know someone who got rejected with way way higher predictions. And the number of students at the uni is smaller than most. Apparently they favour Scottish/internationals more too, but that’s just what I’ve heard so don’t take that as 100% truth!
I think you should research the admissions rate of Bath and Bristol, because I’m not sure :/
I know a lot of Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL rejects (or even a few people who got offers) who are still very good go to Bristol because it’s arguably the best econ uni in the tier below and the city is very nice! So Bristol might be quite competitive.

So definitely research the admissions rates and make sure you apply to unis with a range of different requirements/entry requirements! E.g. Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Leeds, Loughborough

Very helpful again! Thanks! What do you do currently because you seem to know an awful lot about Economics :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by username4567470

So definitely research the admissions rates and make sure you apply to unis with a range of different requirements/entry requirements! E.g. Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Leeds, LoI got

I got an offer from Bristol and Bath for Economics Bsc and my predicted grades are 3As in Maths, Geog and Physics and I already have an A in Russian A2.
I would need to hope to get an A* in any of my subjects and I am working hard. So it is possible to get an offer with slightly lower predicted grades. (I'm assuming Bristol & Bath didn't include my Russian grade)
Reply 11
Very helpful again! Thanks! What do you do currently because you seem to know an awful lot about Economics :smile:

What did you end up choosing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending