The Student Room Group

My room wasn't clean when I moved in!

Hey everyone. I'm super upset about my halls and am debating if I should stay there or just study my final year from home. I'd really appreciate some advice. Here's the story:

I went to move into my accommodation a week early to work as a student ambassador welcoming new, vulnerable students into my university. But when I arrived, I discovered that my room and the kitchen had both not been cleaned. I asked someone at the residences office if anyone was still living in my flat because of the state of it, and without checking the system, I was told that no one would be there but that people had moved out in a hurry. There was no reassurance that anything would be cleaned. The office then closed and I stayed the night at a friend's with the intention to go back to the office in the morning.

When I went back, I had a meeting with one of the staff who patronised me to no end. When I explained the state of my flat, she said that some people "look at a speck of dust and think that their room hasn't been cleaned." This was no speck of dust - there was poo in the toilet, hairs in the bed, and food residue in my cupboard and fridge. She reassured me that my room would be cleaned that day, but couldn't guarantee that the kitchen would be because of people still living in the flat, despite what I was told the day before.

Later in the day, I went to my work training, and when I got out I had an email saying that the cleaners had taken my food and valuables left in the room, not knowing if they were mine or the previous occupant's, and to collect them from the office. When I went to get them, I was told that they couldn't be found because the cleaners had gone home. I had to eat out and I couldn't shower or take my medication for about 24 hours. I've been stranded in a foreign country before and it felt exactly like that. I did find out that the other people who were living at my flat had expired contracts, though.

I stayed another night at my friend's and went back to my room the next day. My things had been returned, but my food had gone bad and my two-day-old laptop had visible chips all the way down one side. I was so upset at how my belongings and I had been treated in just two days that I went home.

I did go back the next day however and had another meeting with higher-up staff. They said that they would get my room looked at again, as well as the kitchen so that it was no longer a health hazard and compensation for everything that I had gone through. By this point, I was threatening to cancel my contract because I had already had a crappy time in halls the year before and couldn't bear to go through much more. It seemed that they only really seemed to care when they had damaged my property and put me through something so emotionally and physically draining, but not at the beginning when all I wanted was my room and kitchen habitable.

I went back to my flat later that day and my room and kitchen had clearly been cleaned again, but I'm still feeling really anxious about being there because of having such a bad start.

Right now I'm home trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I'm not at the job that I was hired to do because I couldn't tell new students what a wonderful university it is when I've been treated so poorly. I could barely get in contact with anyone else in other departments for some support, so I just feel so alone there. I am able to commute to my classes if I need to, but I would be so upset with myself if I didn't stay on campus. But after everything that has happened this week, as well as previous experiences, I'm so scared that I'm going to have such a bad year. It seems like it would be better to be at home so that I potentially have less stress, but I wish I could stay and genuinely be happy with that decision.

What would you do if this was your situation? Do you think I'm overreacting? You can be honest, but please be nice, I'm a sensitive soul as you can no doubt tell.

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sadthirdyear19
Hey everyone. I'm super upset about my halls and am debating if I should stay there or just study my final year from home. I'd really appreciate some advice. Here's the story:

I went to move into my accommodation a week early to work as a student ambassador welcoming new, vulnerable students into my university. But when I arrived, I discovered that my room and the kitchen had both not been cleaned. I asked someone at the residences office if anyone was still living in my flat because of the state of it, and without checking the system, I was told that no one would be there but that people had moved out in a hurry. There was no reassurance that anything would be cleaned. The office then closed and I stayed the night at a friend's with the intention to go back to the office in the morning.

When I went back, I had a meeting with one of the staff who patronised me to no end. When I explained the state of my flat, she said that some people "look at a speck of dust and think that their room hasn't been cleaned." This was no speck of dust - there was poo in the toilet, hairs in the bed, and food residue in my cupboard and fridge. She reassured me that my room would be cleaned that day, but couldn't guarantee that the kitchen would be because of people still living in the flat, despite what I was told the day before.

Later in the day, I went to my work training, and when I got out I had an email saying that the cleaners had taken my food and valuables left in the room, not knowing if they were mine or the previous occupant's, and to collect them from the office. When I went to get them, I was told that they couldn't be found because the cleaners had gone home. I had to eat out and I couldn't shower or take my medication for about 24 hours. I've been stranded in a foreign country before and it felt exactly like that. I did find out that the other people who were living at my flat had expired contracts, though.

I stayed another night at my friend's and went back to my room the next day. My things had been returned, but my food had gone bad and my two-day-old laptop had visible chips all the way down one side. I was so upset at how my belongings and I had been treated in just two days that I went home.

I did go back the next day however and had another meeting with higher-up staff. They said that they would get my room looked at again, as well as the kitchen so that it was no longer a health hazard and compensation for everything that I had gone through. By this point, I was threatening to cancel my contract because I had already had a crappy time in halls the year before and couldn't bear to go through much more. It seemed that they only really seemed to care when they had damaged my property and put me through something so emotionally and physically draining, but not at the beginning when all I wanted was my room and kitchen habitable.

I went back to my flat later that day and my room and kitchen had clearly been cleaned again, but I'm still feeling really anxious about being there because of having such a bad start.

Right now I'm home trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I'm not at the job that I was hired to do because I couldn't tell new students what a wonderful university it is when I've been treated so poorly. I could barely get in contact with anyone else in other departments for some support, so I just feel so alone there. I am able to commute to my classes if I need to, but I would be so upset with myself if I didn't stay on campus. But after everything that has happened this week, as well as previous experiences, I'm so scared that I'm going to have such a bad year. It seems like it would be better to be at home so that I potentially have less stress, but I wish I could stay and genuinely be happy with that decision.

What would you do if this was your situation? Do you think I'm overreacting? You can be honest, but please be nice, I'm a sensitive soul as you can no doubt tell.

Could you possibly change halls? Did the rest of the place seem okay or was it all grungy?

Room is now clean - you are so overreacting - yes it was a bad start - just stop being such a snowflake.
Reply 3
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Room is now clean - you are so overreacting - yes it was a bad start - just stop being such a snowflake.

Remember when I said to please be nice or can you suddenly not read?
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
Could you possibly change halls? Did the rest of the place seem okay or was it all grungy?

That is a possibility I think. It was okay I guess when it was eventually cleaned, you know the kind of clean when you've cleaned something like a day or two ago, that's how it was once it was cleaned. Which is habitable but still not really what you would expect for moving in - sticky floors and crumby ovens. The only thing about changing halls is that it's all managed by the same people and I just don't trust them at all anymore to look after me. But I'll definitely take it into consideration, thanks for replying!
Reply 5

Sorry me again, but I just stalked your profile and on there you've said to someone that you're a mum and a nurse and dealt with mental health problems. Imagine if it was one of your kids who had already had an awful time the year before and was dealing with mental health issues - would you call them a snowflake too? I'd hate to be one of your patients if this is how you treat people...
Reply 6
That is a possibility I think. It was okay I guess when it was eventually cleaned, you know the kind of clean when you've cleaned something like a day or two ago, that's how it was once it was cleaned. Which is habitable but still not really what you would expect for moving in - sticky floors and crumby ovens. The only thing about changing halls is that it's all managed by the same people and I just don't trust them at all anymore to look after me. But I'll definitely take it into consideration, thanks for replying!

Well it will have different cleaning staff and admin people so might be better but ask to check out place before accepting room.I get it it has happened to me on holiday before and if you like things clean it bothers you. Also if you are the anxious type any change of living space will already be stressful. I would press for a change while they still have rooms they could give you and they know it is their fault about the laptop. Hope it works out!
Sorry me again, but I just stalked your profile and on there you've said to someone that you're a mum and a nurse and dealt with mental health problems. Imagine if it was one of your kids who had already had an awful time the year before and was dealing with mental health issues - would you call them a snowflake too? I'd hate to be one of your patients if this is how you treat people...

Yes - mental health issues - you had a room that was dirty and is now clean. How are you going to cope in life. Stop feeling sorry for yourself - look even your profile name is ... well...

I know about mental health and I have said to you exactly what I would have said to my kids - stop being the victim. Get things into perspective.

Perhaps if you had "stalked" me a little further you would have seen my terrible childhood and the things I have been through. An unclean room is a minor issue - which was sorted.

And insulting me is not very mature either
Reply 8
Yes - mental health issues - you had a room that was dirty and is now clean. How are you going to cope in life. Stop feeling sorry for yourself - look even your profile name is ... well...

I know about mental health and I have said to you exactly what I would have said to my kids - stop being the victim. Get things into perspective.

Perhaps if you had "stalked" me a little further you would have seen my terrible childhood and the things I have been through. An unclean room is a minor issue - which was sorted.

And insulting me is not very mature either

I think you insulted her first and you are the adult. She is plainly struggling so why make the pull yourself together comments?Better to say nothing perhaps.
Reply 9
Then good practice...
Original post by Scotney
I think you insulted her first and you are the adult. She is plainly struggling so why make the pull yourself together comments?Better to say nothing perhaps.

Thing about mental health is that it will take over your life. I have been in a very dark place. Perspective is needed - and that is what I gave.
I would be livid if they had damaged my property and gone through my things etc. They didn’t treat your complaints in a respectful and professional manner, even though they begrudgingly did something about it. I would probably move back home because the whole thing would make me feel uncomfortable living there. You should follow your gut.
Just my 2p, but I feel you should have been more assertive throughout

With regard to the cleaning, i'd have just started repeatedly texting them a photo of the turdy toilet with the caption 'unacceptable, clean the property immediately'

With regard to the landlord not seeming to know if people live in the flat not, press for a formal answer, unacceptable absence of info.

'The cleaners took your valuables and went home *shrug* ... 'cool, well you'd better get a hold of them before i call the police and report the theft then'

There likely isn't much point in bearing a grudge at this stage, but you do seem to have signed with a crap company.

At least everything is ok and cleaned out now. Please look forward to the rest of your year. These years are great, with the company of plenty of people your age. I am struggling with loneliness now, and would do anything to have those years back again.
Reply 14
Original post by Oxford Mum
At least everything is ok and cleaned out now. Please look forward to the rest of your year. These years are great, with the company of plenty of people your age. I am struggling with loneliness now, and would do anything to have those years back again.

These years are awful. My friends just had a party and I wasn't invited. I have no company. I can't wait to be out of uni.
Reply 15
Original post by Scotney

Thank u for sticking up for me. I'm not going to reply to her because you basically said what I was thinking. Just because it seems like a minor issue to her doesn't mean it's big to me. It's still affecting me.

that's do rude and inconsiderate
Thank u for sticking up for me. I'm not going to reply to her because you basically said what I was thinking. Just because it seems like a minor issue to her doesn't mean it's big to me. It's still affecting me.

Don’t struggle alone. Please try to get some support.
For this to still be affecting you means that there is more going on
Have a chat with student support and consider speaking to your gp.
If you want to speak to someone informally then you can pm me any time
Original post by Oxford Mum

I’m sorry to hear that. The same applies. My inbox is open if you need someone
That’s kind of you, sammylou, but as an adult and a parent I need to be strong for others and cope alone.

Quick Reply

Latest