The Student Room Group

CoffeeAndPolitics: The Journey to Achieving a 1st Class Degree - Year 1 (2019 - 2020)

Scroll to see replies

Hey can you put me on your quote list so I can keep updated with your blog? @CoffeeAndPolitics
Reply 61
Original post by igotthatsauce
Hey can you put me on your quote list so I can keep updated with your blog? @CoffeeAndPolitics

Sure. I'll add you to my QFA list. :smile:
Reply 62
Friday 13th September 2019: Blog Update #3

Firstly, I just wanted to say that it's funny how I said back in Blog Update #1 that updates will be rather eratic before I move up to York on Saturday 28th September 2019 but so far I've managed to update weekly on a Friday. Woohoo! :dance: Secondly, before you read the rest of this update (this will be a loooooooooong one) go and make yourself a cuppa :coffee: and get comfy whilst you read this. :h:

Finalised University Timetable:

As you can see above, this is my finalised university timetable for the autumn term. I won't show you the spring and summer term for now because it may be subject to change so I'll only show you that when we reach the spring and summer terms respectively. For those who have very good attention for detail and have read Blog Update #2, you'll notice that my seminar for Introduction to Sociological Theory has been moved forward by two hours to fix the clash with SPS Forum (I don't know what this is btw). In addition to this, my seminars for Introducing Social Policy and What is Politics are now both showing on my timetable and the addition of that means my Thursdays are very hectic as I'm busy dashing around the whole of Campus West to get to the next seminar and it's just full on. :argh:

Moving-In Preparations: Yesterday I got my room details which was made available via the accommodation portal for York and I'm on the ground floor! :colone: This has a mixture of pros and cons by the only cons I can think of is that if you have a room near the laundry room, you'll probably hear the noisy washing machines and tumble dryers going off all day 24/7 (not literally but you'll get what I mean) and maybe noise from the rooms upstairs. Other than that it's all great, that means I don't have to drag my weekend food shop (I'm not catered for the weekends) all the way up a flight of stairs. :rolleyes: Anyways, I've found some of my ground floor roommates on Facebook which is very good because we can talk a bit and get to know each other a bit better before we actually move in - everyone seems really nice whether they're allocated a room on the ground floor or not. Had I not managed to find my roommates on Facebook, I think I'd be more nervous because you just don't know what to expect.

As for the university haul, I got the following from IKEA (I'll leave a link for each item in case you're curious): an umbrella (I didn't have a foldable one that's handy to carry in my backpack), a bottle opener (an absolute essential), a desk organsier, a lunch box with removable inserts and I'll be bringing along my water bottle and fake mini plants (I bought these back a while ago) as well. From TkMaxx, I got a very good quality 28cm frying pan, a medium-sized stainless steel stockpot and a medium-sized bamboo chopping board (I'm used to using a bamboo chopping board at home and prefer these over the plastic ones). Apologies for no links or a picture of the stuff I got from TkMaxx - I'll show you all of this when I start packing for university. From The Range, I got an 8 gang extension lead and I got a 4-piece cutlery set from Poundland (the quality is satisfactory and will be fine). In terms of other stuff I've previously bought, I got a mini lightbox from Flying Tiger Copenhagen. Edit: Almost forgot but I got a rice cooker from Robert Dyas - the link shows the larger one but I got the 0.6l version of that.

In terms of when I'll start packing, I'll be doing that next week probably but atm I'm not sure how many suitcases I need to pack all of the stuff I need from the bedding to the kitchen stuff and other stuff - maybe one large suitcase and a medium-sized suitcase will do?!? In case you're wondering whether I'm going bonkers with the suitcase and stuff I'm bringing, I'm really not. I just need to be able to fit the bedding and kitchen stuff I have which will take up a considerable amount of space and in terms of clothes, I don't need a lot - just need enough to last me for a week or two + pack some of my turtle neck tops etc. for when it gets cold. I'm going to leave a medium-sized suitcase with me but only problem is storing it in my room since it's tiny asf. :s-smilie:

York Opportunity Awards: Both myself and barror1 (check out her GYG blog) have applied for this award which basically supports students who have overcome significant barriers to achieve their educational goals and I hope that at least one of us gets this award which will mean a lot! I won't talk about why barror1 has also decided to apply for this because she may have touched on this over on her blog and that's for her to explain if she wishes to. Personally I've applied for this award as I've experienced some serious extenuating circumstances at the start of Year 13 which had impacted on my academic studies and personal wellbeing and at the time, it was just a lot to take in and I was just really stressed about that and how I was doing academically at the time. TL;DR things weren't good at all during this time but things did get better in the end. In terms of whether I think I stand a chance of getting this reward, my honest answer is I don't really know. Whilst I did have some serious extenuating circumstances, I think other applicants are also worthy of getting this reward and they may have had more of a serious barrier to achieving their educational goals but that's for the university to decide and I won't dwell on it. Should I not get the award, I may still be eligible for the York Bursary which is available to most people depending on your household income. :smile:

Other News: I'm not up to much but I'll probably arrange to meet up my friends for lunch or something before we all move to start university in the weeks ahead of us. Also, I still haven't got an email from the 6th Form regarding them wanting to invite me in at some point to talk about the UCAS application process to Year 13 and how student finance works as well but I'll drop an email to the HoSF and the Head of Year 13 regarding that. There might be a few who may be considering applying for either Oxbridge, medicine, vet med/science and dentistry and the deadline is fast approaching for that so it would be a good time for me to pop in to talk about that quickly. :smile:

QFA

Original post by CinnamonSmol
x

Original post by nyxnko_
x

Original post by sinnoh
x

Original post by wolfmoon88
x

Original post by Blue_Cow
x

Original post by entertainmyfaith
x

Original post by CoolCavy
x

Original post by Jack22031994
x

Original post by Labrador99
x

Original post by laurawatt
x

Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
x

Original post by SarcAndSpark
x

Original post by emilynxlan
x

Original post by TheYearNiner
x

Original post by blurryleo
x

Original post by anonymous1234
x

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
x

Original post by SilverWater
x

Original post by barror1
x

Original post by Edminzodo
x

Original post by MidnightSymphony
x

Original post by I AM GROOT 1
x

Original post by MajorFader
x

Original post by Protostar
x

x

If you wish to be added/removed from the QFA List please comment down below to let me know. :smile:
Reply 63
You wanna be careful with nice pans, my brother brought an expensive non-stick one to his accommodation and someone borrowed and ruined it basically immediately
Reply 64
Original post by Sinnoh
You wanna be careful with nice pans, my brother brought an expensive non-stick one to his accommodation and someone borrowed and ruined it basically immediately

Yeah, I'll be careful with that. Thanks for the heads up on that. :smile:
:woo: sounds like your all ready :eek3:

Hectic time table :eek3:

Hope you guys get that award :hugs:
Reply 66
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
:woo: sounds like your all ready :eek3:

Hope you guys get that award :hugs:

Thanks. :smile:
Good luck your GYG is so detailed i love it!
Reply 68
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Good luck your GYG is so detailed i love it!

Thanks. Good luck with your academic studies as well. :smile:
You seem very organised 👌🏾.

I hope York approves me as well for that bursary because 2K off my accommodation is looking sweet. Especially when it’s 7.4K a year. 😞
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Thanks. Good luck with your academic studies as well. :smile:

Thank you! I'm trying to make sure I update my gyg this year lol.
Reply 71
Original post by MajorFader
You seem very organised 👌🏾.

I hope York approves me as well for that bursary because 2K off my accommodation is looking sweet. Especially when it’s 7.4K a year. 😞

I’m usually organised lol. 😂

Thanks and good luck to you too with the bursary as well bro, 7.4k for accommodation per year is just ridiculous lol.
Reply 72
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Thank you! I'm trying to make sure I update my gyg this year lol.

Good luck with that! :smile:
Actually so jealous of your timetable :cry: The other downside of ground floor is that you shouldn't leave your windows open or people could get in but hopefully that's not a major issue for the time of year you're there!
My uni isn't even showing all of my timetable yet so you're very lucky!
that thursday :afraid: not jealous! though my thursdays aren’t much better tbh hahaha

uni shopping is so fun :gah: hope you have a nice last few weeks at home before the madness begins! :tongue:
Reply 76
Original post by Lemur14
Actually so jealous of your timetable :cry: The other downside of ground floor is that you shouldn't leave your windows open or people could get in but hopefully that's not a major issue for the time of year you're there!

That’s very true. 😂 Yeah my timetable is alright actually.
Reply 77
you're joking me, you're off to uni now? :redface:
am i really that old
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 78
My uni isn't even showing all of my timetable yet so you're very lucky!

Yeah I’m very lucky that my timetable is all sorted. Hopefully yours will be all sorted soon. :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by Protostar
that thursday :afraid: not jealous! though my thursdays aren’t much better tbh hahaha

uni shopping is so fun :gah: hope you have a nice last few weeks at home before the madness begins! :tongue:

Yeah Thursdays are basically oof for me. Uni shopping has been fun and yeah I’ll make the most of my time at home before the madness starts haha. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending