The Student Room Group

Do you have to declare AS grades?

Hi.
So, I did my AS levels this year and due to extenuating circumstances I achieved much lower than I wanted to (ABC). Although my school are usually quite stingy with predicted grades, they have offered to predict me A*AA (which is in line with the standard offer for the unis I'm applying for, so an acceptable set of predicted grades by all means).

However, although I am obviously fine with my predicted grades and am reasonably certain I will achieve this at the very least (I revise for 9 hours per day, to put it into perspective), I'm still anxious that some unis may be deterred by my AS grades, regardless of whether or not I have an explanation for them.

The vast majority of schools (at least where I'm from) no longer do AS, so I'm wondering if it's possible to just not declare them. I'm not applying to any unis that use UCAS points to give offers, so I don't really see how these results will be beneficial to me at all.

If anyone has any kind of answer to give, I would be very glad to hear it.

Thank you!
In short, yes, you do have to declare them.
Reply 2
Original post by Simbasoul
In short, yes, you do have to declare them.

Thanks for the response.
Realistically, do you still think it's worth applying this year? I had extenuating circumstances with confirmation from a doctor to explain these grades and have shown a significant increase in work rate since having received treatment.
Original post by Mikos
Thanks for the response.
Realistically, do you still think it's worth applying this year? I had extenuating circumstances with confirmation from a doctor to explain these grades and have shown a significant increase in work rate since having received treatment.

Yes it’s worth applying. Your reference should explain why your predictions are a big step up from your AS results.
Yes, as long as your referee can give the Uni confidence that the predictions are realistic, you should be considered even with weaker AS grades.
I didn't have to. Just say you didn't do them because lots of places don't even do the AS exams anymore
You have to
Original post by Prussianxo
I didn't have to. Just say you didn't do them because lots of places don't even do the AS exams anymore

Just because you got away with a technically fraudulent fee doesn’t mean that you should advise other applicants to do the same.
Original post by PQ
Just because you got away with a technically fraudulent fee doesn’t mean that you should advise other applicants to do the same.

It wasn't fraud. As AS exams don't count for anything anymore organisations do not have carry them out. Therefore the exams are optional and internal, which means only the organisation needs to know the results. They aren't official exams like old AS exams. So my sixth form said I don't have to state my results if I don't want to.
It wasn't fraud. As AS exams don't count for anything anymore organisations do not have carry them out. Therefore the exams are optional and internal, which means only the organisation needs to know the results. They aren't official exams like old AS exams. So my sixth form said I don't have to state my results if I don't want to.

Your sixth form misadvised you.

When you submitted your application you agreed to the declaration stating that you had included all qualifications. An AS is a qualification if certified (ie if your school entered you for the exam asking the exam board to assess you for an AS grade - if you have a results slip from an exam board with an AS grade then your AS was certified). If you only sat school exams then you didn’t get an AS result and wouldn’t have a qualification to declare.

If you agreed to the declaration but then didn’t include awarded AS qualifications then your application was technically fraudulent.
If you only sat school exams that they called AS but didn’t enter exam board exams then you aren’t in the same situation as the OP.
Original post by PQ
Your sixth form misadvised you.

When you submitted your application you agreed to the declaration stating that you had included all qualifications. An AS is a qualification if certified (ie if your school entered you for the exam asking the exam board to assess you for an AS grade - if you have a results slip from an exam board with an AS grade then your AS was certified). If you only sat school exams then you didn’t get an AS result and wouldn’t have a qualification to declare.

If you agreed to the declaration but then didn’t include awarded AS qualifications then your application was technically fraudulent.
If you only sat school exams that they called AS but didn’t enter exam board exams then you aren’t in the same situation as the OP.

Exam boards don't asses AS anymore. It's an old qualification. They are all done by the individual school. They call them AS exams because it's the AS content. So yes we were in the same situation.
Exam boards don't asses AS anymore. It's an old qualification. They are all done by the individual school. They call them AS exams because it's the AS content. So yes we were in the same situation.

You can still do external AS exams and those have to be declared on UCAS. I think you're talking about internal mocks which aren't actual qualifications and so don't.
Original post by Mikos
Hi.
So, I did my AS levels this year and due to extenuating circumstances I achieved much lower than I wanted to (ABC). Although my school are usually quite stingy with predicted grades, they have offered to predict me A*AA (which is in line with the standard offer for the unis I'm applying for, so an acceptable set of predicted grades by all means).

However, although I am obviously fine with my predicted grades and am reasonably certain I will achieve this at the very least (I revise for 9 hours per day, to put it into perspective), I'm still anxious that some unis may be deterred by my AS grades, regardless of whether or not I have an explanation for them.

The vast majority of schools (at least where I'm from) no longer do AS, so I'm wondering if it's possible to just not declare them. I'm not applying to any unis that use UCAS points to give offers, so I don't really see how these results will be beneficial to me at all.

If anyone has any kind of answer to give, I would be very glad to hear it.

Thank you!

Yes, you have to. But to make you feel better, the majority of people in my year got CDE’s and U’s at AS level and most people got offered all 5 places. One boy I know got CDD at AS and got an unconditional for a uni that required BBB.
Reply 13
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Yes, you have to. But to make you feel better, the majority of people in my year got CDE’s and U’s at AS level and most people got offered all 5 places. One boy I know got CDD at AS and got an unconditional for a uni that required BBB.

The unis I'm applying to are really competitive so might not give me the same leeway but I appreciate your kind words of reassurance nonetheless :smile: thank you

Exam boards do still offer AS as a qualification. In some parts of the UK AS modules still count towards total A level results in others they’re freestanding (like AS was before 2000). They’re a recognised qualification.

Your internal exams aren’t AS exams - that’s just what your school calls them. Your situation is not the same as the OP.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
Yes it’s worth applying. Your reference should explain why your predictions are a big step up from your AS results.

Thanks, I see what you mean. I'm just afraid that because I'm applying to top RG unis (including Cambridge) that I will be competing with students with AAAA, and that although I can explain the grades I still feel like unis may feel deterred.
Original post by Mikos
Thanks, I see what you mean. I'm just afraid that because I'm applying to top RG unis (including Cambridge) that I will be competing with students with AAAA, and that although I can explain the grades I still feel like unis may feel deterred.

Universities are well used to comparing applicants with a variety of qualifications. Your AS results are fine and won’t disadvantage you. Just make sure you’re putting in the work to meet or exceed your predictions.
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
Universities are well used to comparing applicants with a variety of qualifications. Your AS results are fine and won’t disadvantage you. Just make sure you’re putting in the work to meet or exceed your predictions.

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I was thinking of applying next year (with my results) but I think I'll still apply for this year, now.

Original post by PQ
Exam boards do still offer AS as a qualification. In some parts of the UK AS modules still count towards total A level results in others they’re freestanding (like AS was before 2000). They’re a recognised qualification.

Your internal exams aren’t AS exams - that’s just what your school calls them. Your situation is not the same as the OP.

I should probably confirm that I did sit external AS exams. Personally, I think it's silly that my school still does AS, as I cannot think of one person in my year who has benefited from sitting them, but to be clear, they were external :smile:
AS I said above, do declare them, your reference and PS will allow you to explain what happened. Please ignore the person saying you don’t have to declare them - any external qualifications, including resits must be declared. People do and will have offers rescinded if they lie on their UCAS form - and can’t be removed from a course if it is later discovered. If you were undertaking something like Medicine, that could effectively be the end of your career. Remember you sign the form to say you have told the truth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending