The Student Room Group

Ask the Admissions Teams - Christ's and Peterhouse

Hi all,

We're back with another joint thread so please ask away if you have any questions about applying. This thread will run until the end of September.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is there any advantage at all in taking 4 A Levels instead of 3 when applying to Cambridge? I think that the majority of applicants do have 4 A Levels but is that because 4 A Level students are more likely to apply or because 4 A Levels are preferred? Thanks.
Original post by Sir Cumference
Is there any advantage at all in taking 4 A Levels instead of 3 when applying to Cambridge? I think that the majority of applicants do have 4 A Levels but is that because 4 A Level students are more likely to apply or because 4 A Levels are preferred? Thanks.

Hi, thanks for posting! Our typical offers are based on 3 A levels and we only expect candidates to be taking 3. It is far better to excel in 3 subjects than to do less well in 4. Every year we have quite a few offer-holders who continue with 4 subjects when their offer is for 3 and miss out on a place because they've stretched themselves too thinly.

I wouldn't say that the majority are taking 4 but it is not uncommon, particularly when candidates are taking maths and further maths. Even here there is no spceific advantage in taking 4.
(asking for my brother)

if an applicant is applying for natural sciences with maths, further maths, biology and physics a levels intending to study biological subjects with a bio focused personal statement should they apply through biological or physical natsci? I've heard advice that applicants without chemistry but with physics/further maths a levels should apply physical to be more fairly assessed at interview but I'm not sure how this would look with a bio focused personal statement. do some colleges care more than others about chemistry a level?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi

Thank you for the opportunity, can I private message you about my question because I don't want it to be public

Regards
Hi,

I’ve already received my A-level results and am currently on a gap year, about to apply for MML for 2020 entry. Both colleges I’m considering (Christ’s and Caius) want written work submitted as part of my application and I think they have to be physical copies. However, I’m on a gap year abroad in France and I don’t want to risk losing the essays in the post (international delivery is always a hassle). Do you think I would be allowed to submit them scanned via e-mail instead?

Also, even though I have already met the standard offer, one of my grades (Politics) was only 2 marks below the threshold for A* and I’m frustrated about it since its my favourite subject and feeds heavily into my interests in the MML course. Is it worth including this fact in my application and if so should it be my school including it in my reference, or should I say something myself?

Many thanks !
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi, thanks for posting! Our typical offers are based on 3 A levels and we only expect candidates to be taking 3. It is far better to excel in 3 subjects than to do less well in 4. Every year we have quite a few offer-holders who continue with 4 subjects when their offer is for 3 and miss out on a place because they've stretched themselves too thinly.

I wouldn't say that the majority are taking 4 but it is not uncommon, particularly when candidates are taking maths and further maths. Even here there is no spceific advantage in taking 4.

Thanks! I’ve noticed on the UCAS offer rate calculator that 4 A Levels equals a higher offer rate compared to 3 A Levels for all the subjects I’ve looked at. I assumed that this is because 4 A Level students are often “better” but not because they take 4 A levels. Could this be the reason? I see a lot of people on this site recommend 4 A Levels after looking at the offer calculator.

Do you recommend students take 4 A levels in Y12 and then drop one in Y13 or not take 4 A Levels at all?
Reply 7
This is a question specifically for @Christ's Admissions.

Hi, I'm a potential applicant from Singapore.

I understand that the university's typical offer level for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level is AAAA at H2 level. The university's website also mentions that "Where H3 subjects are being taken the typical offer level would be AAA at H2 Level, plus at least a Merit or Distinction in one H3 Level. A H3 Merit could replace a H2." However, this part is not mentioned in Christ's website as well.

In Christ's application process, may I know if an application with AAA at H2 Level and a Distinction at H3 Level (in a relevant subject) is considered as exceeding the Cambridge standard offer, and will be more competitive than another application with AAAA at H2 Level (which includes one non-relevant subject)?

On another note, I'm also interested to know how many applications & offers there were for Singaporeans in the past few application cycles. :smile:

Thanks in advance!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gnarocks
This is a question specifically for @Christ's Admissions.

Hi, I'm a potential applicant from Singapore.

I understand that the university's typical offer level for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level is AAAA at H2 level. The university's website also mentions that "Where H3 subjects are being taken the typical offer level would be AAA at H2 Level, plus at least a Merit or Distinction in one H3 Level. A H3 Merit could replace a H2." However, this part is not mentioned in Christ's website as well.

In Christ's application process, may I know if an application with AAA at H2 Level and a Distinction at H3 Level (in a relevant subject) is competitive, and will be more competitive than another application with AAAA at H2 Level (including one non-relevant subject)?

On another note, I'm also interested to know how many applications & offers there were for Singaporeans in the past few application cycles. :smile:

Thanks in advance!

Hello there,

Sorry - the University website has been updated more recently than the Christ's website!

Yes, an applicant with AAA at H2 Level and a Distinction at H3 level in a relevant subject could certainly be competitive (assuming that they were not missing any essential subject among their As at H2). It's difficult to say whether they would be more competitive than an applicant with AAAA at H2 - this would depend on assessment scores and interview scores, as well as whether the second student actually had a relevant H3 qualification alongside their AAAA H2s (but had done badly in it, for example).

In the last application cycle we received 31 applications from Singaporeans and made 12 offers; a further two students who applied to us received offers from other colleges through the Winter Pool. I don't have figures for earlier application cycles to hand, but these figures are fairly typical, in my view.

I hope this helps!
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello there,

Sorry - the University website has been updated more recently than the Christ's website!

Yes, an applicant with AAA at H2 Level and a Distinction at H3 level in a relevant subject could certainly be competitive (assuming that they were not missing any essential subject among their As at H2). It's difficult to say whether they would be more competitive than an applicant with AAAA at H2 - this would depend on assessment scores and interview scores, as well as whether the second student actually had a relevant H3 qualification alongside their AAAA H2s (but had done badly in it, for example).

In the last application cycle we received 31 applications from Singaporeans and made 12 offers; a further two students who applied to us received offers from other colleges through the Winter Pool. I don't have figures for earlier application cycles to hand, but these figures are fairly typical, in my view.

I hope this helps!

Hi christ admission rep, of the 12 Singapore applicants who are offered, are they for 2019 entry or for 2019 & 2020 entry? And does defer entry applicant stand a poorer chance to get offer?
Original post by meminisse19
Hi,

I’ve already received my A-level results and am currently on a gap year, about to apply for MML for 2020 entry. Both colleges I’m considering (Christ’s and Caius) want written work submitted as part of my application and I think they have to be physical copies. However, I’m on a gap year abroad in France and I don’t want to risk losing the essays in the post (international delivery is always a hassle). Do you think I would be allowed to submit them scanned via e-mail instead?

Also, even though I have already met the standard offer, one of my grades (Politics) was only 2 marks below the threshold for A* and I’m frustrated about it since its my favourite subject and feeds heavily into my interests in the MML course. Is it worth including this fact in my application and if so should it be my school including it in my reference, or should I say something myself?

Many thanks !

Hi there (jumping in ahead of @Peterhouse Admissions since your question relates partly to Christ's).

We'd be perfectly happy to accept scanned copies of your written work by e-mail yes, assuming the attachment size is reasonable.

I wouldn't waste space in your UCAS personal statement on the Politics grade, but you could mention it in the SAQ and it would certainly be useful if your referee mentioned it. You don't say whether you applied for a re-mark, but if not, there is still time (just).
Hi I had an offer for law at Peterhouse but missed the offer. I’m still waiting for the results of remark now - if they go up so i meet my offer, is there any chance of 2019 entry or would it have to be a deferred to 2020?Thank you!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi all,

We're back with another joint thread so please ask away if you have any questions about applying. This thread will run until the end of September.

Hello!
I am an international student currently in year 13. I am giving A Level Physics, Economics, Further Math this year. Last year I self studied A Level Mathematics and AS Further Math. I received an A in A Level Math (Edexcel new syllabus) and 3a's at the AS Level. I wish to apply for an economics major. Would you recommend resitting A Level Math to obtain an A*? Would that make my application stronger? Or do I not need to resit A Level Math in the light of the fact that it was a new syllabus and I self studied it?
Original post by Myboy66
Hi christ admission rep, of the 12 Singapore applicants who are offered, are they for 2019 entry or for 2019 & 2020 entry? And does defer entry applicant stand a poorer chance to get offer?

7 were for 2019 entry, 3 for 2020 entry and 2 for 2021 entry. This doesn't reflect any bias on our part against deferred entry applicants, simply the distribution of applications; there is no disadvantage in submitting an application for deferred entry.
I am thinking of applying for medicine at Cambridge for 2020 entry. I have done my BMAT in August and am awaiting my results. Are there any BMAT requirements or cutoffs at either college and how is it used by each college in making an offer decision. I feel that I have not done as well in Section 3 of the BMAT as compared to other sections so how important is this section when compared to the other sections when deciding?

Thanks
Hi guys,

What are the 4 (or more) most important qualities that you look for when interviewing an applicant?
How would someone best prepare for an interview? (specifically economics ideally)

Thanks!
Original post by Christ's Admissions
7 were for 2019 entry, 3 for 2020 entry and 2 for 2021 entry. This doesn't reflect any bias on our part against deferred entry applicants, simply the distribution of applications; there is no disadvantage in submitting an application for deferred entry.

K thanks!
Original post by Meltend
Hi

Thank you for the opportunity, can I private message you about my question because I don't want it to be public

Regards

Please feel free to PM at any time :smile:.
Original post by RhynieChert
(asking for my brother)

if an applicant is applying for natural sciences with maths, further maths, biology and physics a levels intending to study biological subjects with a bio focused personal statement should they apply through biological or physical natsci? I've heard advice that applicants without chemistry but with physics/further maths a levels should apply physical to be more fairly assessed at interview but I'm not sure how this would look with a bio focused personal statement. do some colleges care more than others about chemistry a level?

Candidates wishing to study biological subjects should apply to biological sciences. If they wish to take a mix of options (e.g. two biological options and physics) then contact the college.
Original post by Sir Cumference
Thanks! I’ve noticed on the UCAS offer rate calculator that 4 A Levels equals a higher offer rate compared to 3 A Levels for all the subjects I’ve looked at. I assumed that this is because 4 A Level students are often “better” but not because they take 4 A levels. Could this be the reason? I see a lot of people on this site recommend 4 A Levels after looking at the offer calculator.

Do you recommend students take 4 A levels in Y12 and then drop one in Y13 or not take 4 A Levels at all?

That could be one reason. Remember too that the tool asks for predicted grades but achieved grades are what actually matters and spreading yourself too thinly reduces the chance that you'll meet any of your grades. 3 A*s is MUCH stronger than 4 As.

Candidates should do whatever is typical at their school. If they are taking 4 I would recommend they reassess at the start of year 13.

Quick Reply

Latest