The Student Room Group

engineering, or optom, or radiography?

clearing 2019 - i was gonna do optometry. but i came across a gap year job. i told them i was in 2 minds with taking this job and clearing ....i finally decided to take the gap year for the job...they gave me the job in august. i was so happy and planned my gap year around my new job.

in september they were like "oh we've changed our minds.." i was like wtf?!

they only work with 18/19 year old gap year students. they knew that clearing spaces have gone..so disgusting i feel betrayed. i took a gap year to do this job and they just drop me in september after giving me the job (before ive even started the job). i cried for so many hours before i emailed them back.

my options:

1) sit thru this gap year (SO regretful and i feel stupid) and apply for mechanical engineering with a foundation year at s0uthampt0n

2) optometry thru clearing starting now- im on a waiting list. someone needs to drop out first.

3) radiography - the shortest route. i get a job the quickest thru this route.

i'm probs gonna get no replies but i really need help with choosing a career

tldr; im on a gap year for no reason now, i need to formulate a whole new plan out of thin air, this stupid gap year will lengthen everything...so i need to choose a career but i dunno bc diff cons/pros.

i need to move out of my parents house asap bc narcissistic dad who makes me depressed
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this is the correct forum bc i was planning on doing graduate medicine after optometry / radiography. if GEM didnt work out i wouldve just gone thru with either.

mech engineering bc i rly like that side of science and i really like mechanics and mech eng in general. i dont have the correct a levels so foundation year + year in industry + gap year + Mech eng with masters = 7 years
I think you should go for the foundation year in mechanical engineering. Southampton is a good uni and engineering is always a good course. By the time you finish your foundation year, you’ll be able to choose between engineering or optometry as you can apply to through UCAS again. Your year won’t go to waste then.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jiloutviiv
clearing 2019 - i was gonna do optometry. but i came across a gap year job. i told them i was in 2 minds with taking this job and clearing ....i finally decided to take the gap year for the job...they gave me the job in august. i was so happy and planned my gap year around my new job.

in september they were like "oh we've changed our minds.." i was like wtf?!

they only work with 18/19 year old gap year students. they knew that clearing spaces have gone..so disgusting i feel betrayed. i took a gap year to do this job and they just drop me in september after giving me the job (before ive even started the job). i cried for so many hours before i emailed them back.

my options:

1) sit thru this gap year (SO regretful and i feel stupid) and apply for mechanical engineering with a foundation year at s0uthampt0n

2) optometry thru clearing starting now- im on a waiting list. someone needs to drop out first.

3) radiography - the shortest route. i get a job the quickest thru this route.

i'm probs gonna get no replies but i really need help with choosing a career

tldr; im on a gap year for no reason now, i need to choose a career which wont take too much of my time but will be worth it and fulfilling..i need to move out of my parents house asap bc narcissistic dad who makes me depressed and doesnt gives me any money

Ok - so make the most of the gap year. Move to a bigger city, get a job in a bar or something and then go travelling for 6 months. My son went to Guatemala and Colombia. Cheap as chips and he came back fluent in Spanish.

All of your career choices are sound - just depends which you prefer
Reply 4
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Ok - so make the most of the gap year. Move to a bigger city, get a job in a bar or something and then go travelling for 6 months. My son went to Guatemala and Colombia. Cheap as chips and he came back fluent in Spanish.

All of your career choices are sound - just depends which you prefer

Original post by DiamondQueen
I think you should go for the foundation year in mechanical engineering. Southampton is a good uni and engineering is always a good course. By the time you finish your foundation year, you’ll be able to choose between engineering or optometry as you can apply to through UCAS again. Your year won’t go to waste then.

thanks for the replies. only reason im leaning towards healthcare over engineering is bc engineering involves selling urself and bragging but healthcare staff are always in need. im rly bad at making my cv look likable and stuff and im just hoping my grades and degree do the convincing so a degree which pretty much guarantees a job at the end is what im looking for.

im tryna avoid being a jobless graduate hence the degree options
Reply 5
thanks for the replies. only reason im leaning towards healthcare over engineering is bc engineering involves selling urself and bragging but healthcare staff are always in need. im rly bad at making my cv look likable and stuff and im just hoping my grades and degree do the convincing so a degree which pretty much guarantees a job at the end is what im looking for.

im tryna avoid being a jobless graduate hence the degree options

Take a look at posts by optometrists. There has been some really good advice on TSR for potential students where they point out the pros and cons.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Take a look at posts by optometrists. There has been some really good advice on TSR for potential students where they point out the pros and cons.

i know the pros/cons of optom by now the only thing whcih reallyyy puts me off is getting close to the ppl in a dark room
Reply 7
can i get more advice pls? i rly need it bc im bad at making the correct decisions bc i always leave important things out when considering everything and end up making the wrong choice
can i get more advice pls? i rly need it bc im bad at making the correct decisions bc i always leave important things out when considering everything and end up making the wrong choice

Well, I am a nurse - I kind of fell into nursing because I was wasting my time in Asda!

If I were to choose my life over again, I would have worked harder at school but.... I have never been unemployed, I have travelled the world with nursing. I earn a good salary now and it is rewarding. I have saved peoples lives - literally ( respiratory arrest on a ski slope and several years on ITU) and my current job is really nice I work in Bowel Cancer - which sounds awful but isn't.

You are right about optom - spending time in a darkened room with people.... I worked at Moorfields ( eye hospital) ......strange peeps!
Do the foundation year for biomedical engineering at city it's still in clearing ( if u sont mind moving to london ) one the year us over u can continue to do any engineering degree or do radiography or optometry at city university
Reply 10
Original post by Ali.maxwell
Do the foundation year for biomedical engineering at city it's still in clearing ( if u sont mind moving to london ) one the year us over u can continue to do any engineering degree or do radiography or optometry at city university

im in london + i am trying to move out. i mentioned b4 that the most important thing to me is avoiding becoming a jobless graduate and i feel like an engineering degree at citi uni will increase that chance
Reply 11
the job requires a dbs. they know my dbs was gonna come thru late bc of school and i was gonna send it on the day they took their contract back. this literally made me so depressed and i cant express it enough thru this post bc a gap year is a risk, not a luxury for me. my dad is so broke and so stingy with his money when it comes to me. i stressed so so much before taking the gap year for the job

i cant even do medicine bc he refuses to give me £35 for medify and the ucat application closes on the 18th
Reply 12
i really need serious advice please
im in london + i am trying to move out. i mentioned b4 that the most important thing to me is avoiding becoming a jobless graduate and i feel like an engineering degree at citi uni will increase that chance

I feel u man which is y I transferred to kcl the following year. I took the foundation year as it was the only decent thing left in clearing and I didnt want to wait a whole year.
the job requires a dbs. they know my dbs was gonna come thru late bc of school and i was gonna send it on the day they took their contract back. this literally made me so depressed and i cant express it enough thru this post bc a gap year is a risk, not a luxury for me. my dad is so broke and so stingy with his money when it comes to me. i stressed so so much before taking the gap year for the job

i cant even do medicine bc he refuses to give me £35 for medify and the ucat application closes on the 18th

Well - you are an adult. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. If you live in London, you can get a job for 6 months and then take 6 months off doing something useful.

I had to leave home at 19 - my father was a drug addicted alcoholic. It was a pretty bad start for me. But nobody is going to do this for you - grab life by the balls and run with it. You are young, you have options - far more than I did ( I got EEE at A level) A year out won't make much difference and you could really turn this 12 months into something useful.
Reply 15
..........so mechanical engineering? but i have so many questions about mech engineering. the same questions i had about chemistry a level and it's the difficulty of the degree im really worried about. imagine it's literally so boring and i wouldnt even know until i start the course. i have no time to waste
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
im still unsure bc i need longer responses i rly dunno what im doing and this is stressing me out does anyone mind helping me out ?
Reply 17
??????????
??????????

You have to think long term. Which job can you see yourself doing for the rest of your life because optom/radiography lead to very specific careers . U can use ur gap year to find another job and get work experience before u choose a degree u regret
Bruh, can you chill you’re giving me an online headache 😂 listen, just go with what feels right for you. Make a list of pros and cons for each option and if one happens to have the good outweigh the bad, choose that option
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending