The Student Room Group

English Gothic Literature...

Hi guys, I've recently started working on my EPQ and as I love English I'm thinking of doing something related to Gothic literature and how writers use the various aspects of Gothicism in their work. It's a very basic idea at the minute, but does this seem manageable?

Even if you haven't done an EPQ I'd really love any suggestions on what the title could be, because all the ones I've come up with so far don't sound good enough haha. An EPQ is basically a project, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! x
Is there any specific device you want to look at, e.g. 'The Sublime'? Although you do have to write 5000 words, your question seems a bit too vague. Maybe you should do some research and find a specific area here you think you could manage writing 5000 words and then come up with a question
Reply 2
Original post by baslisk
Is there any specific device you want to look at, e.g. 'The Sublime'? Although you do have to write 5000 words, your question seems a bit too vague. Maybe you should do some research and find a specific area here you think you could manage writing 5000 words and then come up with a question

Thank you for your help! I'll definitely do that, would you recommend just one theme and then looking at a few different novels and see how they're used in different ways?
Original post by _dancer01_
Thank you for your help! I'll definitely do that, would you recommend just one theme and then looking at a few different novels and see how they're used in different ways?

I think different novels would be best. My EPQ teacher has told my class to choose a question that has different sides you could almost argue fore and against, so with different novels you can compare how something is used and gain different perspectives and perhaps argue which used it better and more effectively. Above all, using different novels means you have more to write about as well lol

Btw, idk if you have any novels in mind but this tumblr masterpost might help: https://henryclervals.tumblr.com/post/184351594942/masterpost-of-free-gothic-literature-theory
Reply 4
Original post by baslisk
I think different novels would be best. My EPQ teacher has told my class to choose a question that has different sides you could almost argue fore and against, so with different novels you can compare how something is used and gain different perspectives and perhaps argue which used it better and more effectively. Above all, using different novels means you have more to write about as well lol

Btw, idk if you have any novels in mind but this tumblr masterpost might help: https://henryclervals.tumblr.com/post/184351594942/masterpost-of-free-gothic-literature-theory

That's great, thank you :smile: What are you doing for your EPQ?
Original post by _dancer01_
That's great, thank you :smile: What are you doing for your EPQ?

Well, I was actually gonna do something literature related too at first - my question was gonna be something like are evil characters really evil and I was gonna analyse Draco Malfoy and Tom Riddle from Harry Potter but I've decided to change it to did the British Empire divide South Asian nations since I wrote an article about my previous topic and although it was in brief detail, I felt as though I might not have been able to write 5000 words for it lol

Quick Reply