(1+x)^{-1}
Reply 4
@mqb2766
is it -0.2<x>0.2
Reply 5
Original post by dasda
@mqb2766
is it -0.2<x>0.2

No, but thinking along the right lines. Lets do (1+x)^-1 first as above.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
No, but thinking along the right lines. Lets do (1+x)^-1 first as above.

I don't know but would it be -1<X>1 ?
Reply 7
You must know the expansion of (1+x)^{-1} if you're doing the question.
The range of values for which its valid is easy to understand if you write it down. Its a standard series.
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
You must know the expansion of (1+x)^{-1} if you're doing the question.
The range of values for which its valid is easy to understand if you write it down. Its a standard series.

1-x+x2
just for clarifications we talking about question 8c
Reply 9
Original post by dasda
1-x+x2

When x is 1 this goes
1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0 ....
It does not converge. Similarly when x=-1 and the function heads off to infinity.
It only converges when |x|<1 or
-1<x<1

How does this now apply to (1+5x)^{-1}?
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
When x is 1 this goes
1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0 ....
It does not converge. Similarly when x=-1 and the function heads off to infinity.
It only converges when |x|<1 or
-1<x<1

How does this now apply to (1+5x)^{-1}?

I don't understand what you mean by 1,0,1,0,10
Original post by dasda
I don't understand what you mean by 1,0,1,0,10

1 = 1
1 - x = 0
1 - x + x^2 = 1
1 - x + x^2 - x^3 = 0
As you increase the order of the series, it does not converge when x=1
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mqb2766
1 = 1
1 - x = 0
1 - x + x^2 = 1
1 - x + x^2 - x^3 = 0
As you increase the order of the series, it does not converge when x=1

how would you find the convergence point?
Original post by dasda
how would you find the convergence point?

Loosely speaking, the terms must get smaller as the order increases, i.e
|x|<1
Or
-1<x<1
This is a standard result. Have a read of your notes and make sure you understand?
Reply 14
Original post by mqb2766
Loosely speaking, the terms must get smaller as the order increases, i.e
|x|<1
Or
-1<x<1
This is a standard result. Have a read of your notes and make sure you understand?

ok if the expansion (1+5x)^-1 will the validy be -0.2<x<0.2
Original post by dasda
1-x+x2

Ignore the question for now because you need to understand what the range of validity is for a basic (1+x)1(1+x)^{-1}.

Expanding this binomially, this is (1+x)1=1x+x2x3+x4x5+(1+x)^{-1} = 1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4-x^5 + \ldots.

This is the same as writing (1+x)1=k=0(x)k(1+x)^{-1} = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (-x)^k.

Hopefully you recognise this as an infinite sum of a geometric sequence, where the common ratio between each term is precisely just x-x.

Also hopefully you know that an infinite geometric series gives you a finite value ONLY when the common ratio satisfies r<1|r| < 1. This implies that in order for our expansion to be valid and not shoot off to infinity, we require that x<1|-x| < 1. This is the same as saying that x<1|x| < 1, or in other words, 1<x<1-1 < x < 1.

Now you apply this to your question.

In 61+5x\dfrac{6}{1+5x} this is rewritten as 6(1+5x)16(1+5x)^{-1}. What is the range of validity here? Compare (1+5x)1(1+5x)^{-1} with (1+x)1(1+x)^{-1}. The difference is that we replace xx by 5x5x in our well understood case of (1+x)1(1+x)^{-1} to obtain (1+5x)1(1+5x)^{-1}.

We do the same and replace xx in x<1|x| < 1 to obtain 5x<1|5x| < 1, hence the range of validity is...??

Then you repeat this and determine what the range of validity is for 4(13x)14(1-3x)^{-1}.

Once you get this point, we can finish up.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by dasda
ok if the expansion (1+5x)^-1 will the validy be -0.2<x<0.2

Yes, when x=-0.2, this mskes the function and series head off to infinity and the series oscillates when x=0.2
Reply 17
Original post by RDKGames
Ignore the question for now because you need to understand what the range of validity is for a basic (1+x)1(1+x)^{-1}.

Expanding this binomially, this is (1+x)1=1x+x2x3+x4x5+(1+x)^{-1} = 1-x+x^2-x^3+x^4-x^5 + \ldots.

This is the same as writing (1+x)1=k=0(x)k(1+x)^{-1} = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (-x)^k.

Hopefully you recognise this as an infinite sum of a geometric sequence, where the common ratio between each term is precisely just x-x.

Also hopefully you know that an infinite geometric series gives you a finite value ONLY when the common ratio satisfies r<1|r| < 1. This implies that in order for our expansion to be valid and not shoot off to infinity, we require that x<1|-x| < 1. This is the same as saying that x<1|x| < 1, or in other words, 1<x<1-1 < x < 1.

Now you apply this to your question.

In 61+5x\dfrac{6}{1+5x} this is rewritten as 6(1+5x)16(1+5x)^{-1}. What is the range of validity here? Compare (1+5x)1(1+5x)^{-1} with (1+x)1(1+x)^{-1}. The difference is that we replace xx by 5x5x in our well understood case of (1+x)1(1+x)^{-1} by 5x5x to obtain (1+5x)1(1+5x)^{-1}.

We do the same and replace xx in x<1|x| < 1 to obtain 5x<1|5x| < 1, hence the range of validity is...??

Then you repeat this and determine what the range of validity is for 4(13x)14(1-3x)^{-1}.

Once you get this point, we can finish up.

things I don't understand
infinite geometric sequence
|x|. I don't understand what the lines in front of the x means

I was taught that if for example the question is (1+5x)^-1 I would do -1<x<1 and then do -1<5x<1 and then divide through by 5. is this wrong?

thanks
Original post by dasda

I was taught that if for example the question is (1+5x)^-1 I would do -1<x<1 and then do -1<5x<1 and then divide through by 5. is this wrong?

thanks

Yes, its right, for the last question (convergence)
Original post by dasda

Have you ever come across a geometric sequence?
What about the modulus function?

thanks

It's not wrong but in order to understand why we have 1<x<1-1<x<1 you need to be aware of my explanation above.

Also you need to be careful if you're simply following this rule because the range of validity for (2+5x)1(2+5x)^{-1} will not be 1<5x<1-1<5x<1.

Quick Reply

Latest