The Student Room Group

Why do my colds last for more than 2 weeks?

My colds always last more than 2 weeks and I get them so often. It is extremely irritating. Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

boost your immune system. do you take multivitamins?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
boost your immune system. do you take multivitamins?

Yeah, been taking them for about 2 weeks. No change. I drink 2L of water, exercise 4 times a week and I eat healthily.
Yeah, been taking them for about 2 weeks. No change. I drink 2L of water, exercise 4 times a week and I eat healthily.

You need to take them a lot longer than 2 weeks. Are you sure you are eating healthily and getting all the nutrients you need? What's your weight like?
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
You need to take them a lot longer than 2 weeks. Are you sure you are eating healthily and getting all the nutrients you need? What's your weight like?

Yeah I am lean bulking right now, weighing at 85kg, male, 19
And I eat very healthily
My colds always last more than 2 weeks and I get them so often. It is extremely irritating. Any tips?

speak to your doctor if you're worried, my allergy and cold symptoms are very similar so that could be a possibility.
Reply 6

Most important is to make sure you are eating a healthy diet. Maybe try taking a multivitamin over a longer period of time.
When you are suffering the symptoms make sure you are looking after yourself, lots of rest, minimal alcohol.
Depending on your environment and time of year you could be suffering from allergies.
And I eat very healthily

but are you actually? or are you just eating foods that are considered healthy? because even if you eat only healthy foods, you diet on the whole can still be very deficient in certain nutrients.
Reply 8
Original post by lilgeek
Most important is to make sure you are eating a healthy diet. Maybe try taking a multivitamin over a longer period of time.
When you are suffering the symptoms make sure you are looking after yourself, lots of rest, minimal alcohol.
Depending on your environment and time of year you could be suffering from allergies.

but are you actually? or are you just eating foods that are considered healthy? because even if you eat only healthy foods, you diet on the whole can still be very deficient in certain nutrients.

I don't drink alcohol.

I will tell you my typical meals:
(This was yesterdays but it's similar to almost every other day)

Meal 1 - 2 packs of protein oats (almond milk) mixed with nutela, almonds and blue berry topings. Plus 1 banana.

Meal 2 - rice with chicken, broccoli and green beans

Snacks - Watermelon and greek yogurt. Sometimes chocolate.

Meal 3 - 5 eggs with 1 toast
(Gym)
Protein shake

Meal 4 - tuna sandwich

Do I not get enough nutrients?
I don't drink alcohol.

I will tell you my typical meals:
(This was yesterdays but it's similar to almost every other day)

Meal 1 - 2 packs of protein oats (almond milk) mixed with nutela, almonds and blue berry topings. Plus 1 banana.

Meal 2 - rice with chicken, broccoli and green beans

Snacks - Watermelon and greek yogurt. Sometimes chocolate.

Meal 3 - 5 eggs with 1 toast
(Gym)
Protein shake

Meal 4 - tuna sandwich

Do I not get enough nutrients?

If you eat like this every other day, you are more than likely not getting enough iron.
If you eat like this every other day, you are more than likely not getting enough iron.

Oh
So what's a good source of iron that you recommend
Reply 11
Oh

Spinach or some seeds and cereals.
Oh

red meat, liver, fortified breakfast cereals, certain veggies (e.g. spinach), pulses...

but iron is harder to absorb from plant sources so you need to eat loads.
Reply 13
You also seem like you maybe lacking Vitamin C, (kiwi fruits, oranges, apples, etc), and how much time do you spend outisde ? You might not be getting enough Vitamin D, 1 of the best ways to get it is top up on a bit of sun about 30 minutes every few days of walking around with your arms out.
It’s probably allergies and not a cold if you have it so often. Go and see an actual doctor so you can find out.
Original post by JaseyB
You also seem like you maybe lacking Vitamin C, (kiwi fruits, oranges, apples, etc), and how much time do you spend outisde ? You might not be getting enough Vitamin D, 1 of the best ways to get it is top up on a bit of sun about 30 minutes every few days of walking around with your arms out.

Do you think spinach is sufficient enough for vitamin c? Was thinking about mixing it with the eggs.
Normally cloudy but yeah I run outside once a week and practice skateboarding once a week too. Other than that I walk everywhere I go so I should get enough vitamin D, no?

red meat, liver, fortified breakfast cereals, certain veggies (e.g. spinach), pulses...

but iron is harder to absorb from plant sources so you need to eat loads.

oh right thanks :smile:
Reply 16
VitaminD sounds fine, vitamin C I doubt you are getting enough from spinach, just 1 of the fruits I listed in my previous would be sufficient, I think a medium to large sized orange is enough for 1.5 days, 1 kiwi probably 2 days, and 1 apple for 1 day. But they were just examples of things which are very high in Vit.C.
Original post by JaseyB
VitaminD sounds fine, vitamin C I doubt you are getting enough from spinach, just 1 of the fruits I listed in my previous would be sufficient, I think a medium to large sized orange is enough for 1.5 days, 1 kiwi probably 2 days, and 1 apple for 1 day. But they were just examples of things which are very high in Vit.C.

I see
Guess I have to start eating oranges then :smile:
I see
Guess I have to start eating oranges then :smile:

It’s not gonna hurt you to eat oranges but seriously your diet is freakishly good, I don’t think your diet is making you sick. Just go and see a doctor because it’s probably allergies, my friend had the same problem !
That's good to know, thanks! Yeah, I will check after I get settled into university.

Original post by gomgossa
It’s not gonna hurt you to eat oranges but seriously your diet is freakishly good, I don’t think your diet is making you sick. Just go and see a doctor because it’s probably allergies, my friend had the same problem !

Quick Reply

Latest