The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

First year minor modules

Do you choose which modules you want to do for your minor? I'm studying computer science which has 4 compulsory modules worth 20 credits each.

There's 2 optional modules to reach 120 but if I chose do do a minor would I get to choose 2 modules from another subject instead?
Original post by whywhywhywhy
Do you choose which modules you want to do for your minor? I'm studying computer science which has 4 compulsory modules worth 20 credits each.

There's 2 optional modules to reach 120 but if I chose do do a minor would I get to choose 2 modules from another subject instead?

You are required to do a minor with Computer Science, you will have talks in Welcome Week about what options you have. You do get to choose what minor modules you take, and they have requirements as well. For example to do Maths as a minor you have to have got a certain level of maths (but I can't remember what they are exactly), physics is similar etc.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Joe1000000
You are required to do a minor with Computer Science, you will have talks in Welcome Week about what options you have. You do get to choose what minor modules you take, and they have requirements as well. For example to do Maths as a minor you have to have got a certain level of maths (but I can't remember what they are exactly), physics is similar etc.

You have to do a minor? You can't do the optional computer science modules instead?
Original post by whywhywhywhy
You have to do a minor? You can't do the optional computer science modules instead?

Don't quote me on this, you'll find out for sure during welcome week, but I believe they're changing the way that the Computer Science minor works and orientating it more towards students from other departments wanting to get an introduction to programming. As such you won't be able to take the Computer Science minor.

But again, you can double check this during welcome week.
Same with History. There are several optional major modules for History, so can these be a substitute for a minor? I've heard nothing from the History department about what is happening with these optional major modules.
Original post by Aspidosperma
Same with History. There are several optional major modules for History, so can these be a substitute for a minor? I've heard nothing from the History department about what is happening with these optional major modules.

You'll find out about all these things in your major talks that happen in freshers week. If they don't mention it just go up and ask them at the end.
You'll find out about all these things in your major talks that happen in freshers week. If they don't mention it just go up and ask them at the end.

So do I not apply for optional major modules now? Some I can't enrol for, but I can for others online.

Do I still need to choose credits up to 120 online with a third minor option? Or will these optional majors' credit score count to my total?
Original post by Aspidosperma
So do I not apply for optional major modules now? Some I can't enrol for, but I can for others online.

Do I still need to choose credits up to 120 online with a third minor option? Or will these optional majors' credit score count to my total?

Unless you've been specifically told to apply now, wait until you've been to your major talk in welcome week, and gone to any minor talks that you're interested in.

You need 120 credits total for your first year, I'm not sure how many cresits your major will give you, I'd guess 80 but correct me if I'm wrong. Most minor options will give you the remaining 40 credits, however some don't.
Unless you've been specifically told to apply now, wait until you've been to your major talk in welcome week, and gone to any minor talks that you're interested in.

You need 120 credits total for your first year, I'm not sure how many cresits your major will give you, I'd guess 80 but correct me if I'm wrong. Most minor options will give you the remaining 40 credits, however some don't.

Well yes I'd have thought to wait until the welcome week info events, but I've got an email from student registry saying I can now choose my minor modules.

I'm doing History and Philosophy so already have 80 credits in the compulsory modules. But there's been no mention in anything about the optional history modules. I'm not sure whether I have to pick a minor subject or the remainder 40 credits should be used for the optional history modules. I'm not even sure if I have to enrol on these modules now, the only deadline specified is Wednesday of welcome week - so I should wait until the events on welcome week? Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending