The Student Room Group

Im confused plz help me is he trying to be friends or what

So I met this guy a few weeks ago in badminton lessons, we played together so talked to each other and stuff, he's really sweet and was really nice to me. After that we gave each others numbers and he texted me and stuff asking if i want to play again this week, i was like oh who else is coming but he said oh just us like playing singles, but we literally only met once so I said um i dk about this week but ill come to the lesson next week. and then after a few days we were texting and he asked if i have ever tried drinking before badminton i was like no and he said we should totally try it once and drink. i really didn't know what to say so i just said lol and stuff but i really don't know if he likes me or is gay and is trying to be my friend cuz u know the way he talks is bit..... and i also saw his socks which were like super colourful and stuff and i know usually straight guys don't wear colourful socks..... now I'm really confused
Firstly, the colour of someones socks does not define their sexuality.
Secondly, you can just ask something on the lines of ‘do you even play badminton with your gf?’ This way you will know if he’s in a relationship, and if he’s gay, he’ll probably correct you. From what you said, he just sounds friendly and he hasn’t said anything flirtatious. He most likely is just trying to make a new friend soon as though you play the same sport. He also May fancy you, but tbh i think you’re reading too much into nothing. No one on here can clear this up for you so you’ll have to suck it up and just ask.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Firstly, the colour of someones socks does not define their sexuality.
Secondly, you can just ask something on the lines of ‘do you even play badminton with your gf?’ This way you will know if he’s in a relationship, and if he’s gay, he’ll probably correct you. From what you said, he just sounds friendly and he hasn’t said anything flirtatious. He most likely is just trying to make a new friend soon as though you play the same sport. He also May fancy you, but tbh i think you’re reading too much into nothing. No one on here can clear this up for you so you’ll have to suck it up and just ask.

Thanks a lot :smile: I think I'm just thinking too much. he's probably just trying to be friends. i think he wants to hangout which is completely fine by me. however because last time he asked me to play badminton with him but when i asked who else is coming he said just the 2 of us, so i don't know how to tell him to hangout but with others together.
Thanks a lot :smile: I think I'm just thinking too much. he's probably just trying to be friends. i think he wants to hangout which is completely fine by me. however because last time he asked me to play badminton with him but when i asked who else is coming he said just the 2 of us, so i don't know how to tell him to hangout but with others together.

Maybe he just doesn’t have any friends who play badminton, which is why he’s so eager to hang out and get to know you. Maybe he doesn’t have any friends at all. Again, i think you’re reading too much into him saying no one else is going. It’s not creepy or flirtatious at all. You’d be playing in a public place. I could understand if he had invited you to join him in the woods or something. And correct me if I’m wrong, but hasnt he only ever mentioned things to do with badminton? Like when he said going for a drink before badminton. Just sounds like he really likes the sport. Soon as though you want more ppl there, you should invite two friends, I’m sure he’d have no issue with it
Reply 4
Maybe he just doesn’t have any friends who play badminton, which is why he’s so eager to hang out and get to know you. Maybe he doesn’t have any friends at all. Again, i think you’re reading too much into him saying no one else is going. It’s not creepy or flirtatious at all. You’d be playing in a public place. I could understand if he had invited you to join him in the woods or something. And correct me if I’m wrong, but hasnt he only ever mentioned things to do with badminton? Like when he said going for a drink before badminton. Just sounds like he really likes the sport. Soon as though you want more ppl there, you should invite two friends, I’m sure he’d have no issue with it

I think he knows quite a lot of people in our lesson, thats why i was like a bit shooketh when he said just the 2 of us to play bademinton, but i guess maybe because hes not close to others and we get along the best? maybe? a few days ago we were just texting and talking about an asian coutnry where its really pretty and he said he really wanna go there, then he said smth like yeah cutie, going there might be the best way to spend ur holiday, is he saying the plce is a cutie or me im confused hahahah
Tbh darlin, you’re just gunna have to ask him. I have no idea. I can just give my opinion on whats I’ve read and i think he’s just being friendly and hasn’t done anything out of the ordinary. I play badminton aswell and prefer singles to doubles so again, that may be one he said just the 2 of you.

He may like you, i don’t know. It’s hard to say from such little information. But some people are just super friendly and can come across as flirtatious unintentionally. As i said, try to slyly ask if he has a gf and at least thats a starting point
Reply 6
Tbh darlin, you’re just gunna have to ask him. I have no idea. I can just give my opinion on whats I’ve read and i think he’s just being friendly and hasn’t done anything out of the ordinary. I play badminton aswell and prefer singles to doubles so again, that may be one he said just the 2 of you.

He may like you, i don’t know. It’s hard to say from such little information. But some people are just super friendly and can come across as flirtatious unintentionally. As i said, try to slyly ask if he has a gf and at least thats a starting point

yeah from the way he talks to me and stuff i dont think hes being flirtatious but nice. I know theres one girl who plays badminton with us together, he will drive her home after the lesson cuz they all live in the same area i think, and last week he texted me saying'omg she woudnt leave my car' and i was like why he went like 'she kept talking and i had to wait, but not trying to be an ******* but shes nice and all that" LMAO i thought it was so funny and this made me kinda think like maybe he is gay cuz u know gayfriends that i have r kinda *****y (woudnt say *****y but judgemental?? u get me?) just like him, plus i dont think straight guys will really say this plus to a girl who they've just met so......
yeah from the way he talks to me and stuff i dont think hes being flirtatious but nice. I know theres one girl who plays badminton with us together, he will drive her home after the lesson cuz they all live in the same area i think, and last week he texted me saying'omg she woudnt leave my car' and i was like why he went like 'she kept talking and i had to wait, but not trying to be an ******* but shes nice and all that" LMAO i thought it was so funny and this made me kinda think like maybe he is gay cuz u know gayfriends that i have r kinda *****y (woudnt say *****y but judgemental?? u get me?) just like him, plus i dont think straight guys will really say this plus to a girl who they've just met so......

Ok. Not much more i can say on the topic. I’d just be repeating myself
Reply 8
So I met this guy a few weeks ago in badminton lessons, we played together so talked to each other and stuff, he's really sweet and was really nice to me. After that we gave each others numbers and he texted me and stuff asking if i want to play again this week, i was like oh who else is coming but he said oh just us like playing singles, but we literally only met once so I said um i dk about this week but ill come to the lesson next week. and then after a few days we were texting and he asked if i have ever tried drinking before badminton i was like no and he said we should totally try it once and drink. i really didn't know what to say so i just said lol and stuff but i really don't know if he likes me or is gay and is trying to be my friend cuz u know the way he talks is bit..... and i also saw his socks which were like super colourful and stuff and i know usually straight guys don't wear colourful socks..... now I'm really confused

Do you fancy him?
Reply 9
Original post by mgi
Do you fancy him?

hes very sweet but defo not my type tho, might be a very good friend :smile:

go have a drink with him and find out if he's gay or not
Reply 11
hes very sweet but defo not my type tho, might be a very good friend :smile:

Ok. Fine. But make it clear that he is in the friendzone so that you can still be good friends but that he can date other girls because you are not the one!
Original post by KingofUnis
go have a drink with him and find out if he's gay or not

i know thats what i was thinking. Next time when I go to a bar or club i could invite him with my friends and then we will see if hes gay or not, but most likely now because he just sent me a snapchap of himself in the doggy filter lmao
Original post by mgi
Ok. Fine. But make it clear that he is in the friendzone so that you can still be good friends but that he can date other girls because you are not the one!

I think more likely now hes just nice and trying to be friends with me because he just sent me a snapchap of himself in the doggy filter lmao, and i think straight guys dont usually do that ahhahaha hes so sweet
i know thats what i was thinking. Next time when I go to a bar or club i could invite him with my friends and then we will see if hes gay or not, but most likely now because he just sent me a snapchap of himself in the doggy filter lmao

hahahahahahaha there u go then LOL
Reply 15

But you said you dont fancy him anyway didn't you?
Original post by mgi
But you said you dont fancy him anyway didn't you?

no i dont. he is very nice but not my type, because he asked me so mnay times to go out with him i dont want to make him think that i like him, but if hes gay then theres no problem in explaining anything we can just chill
Original post by KingofUnis
hahahahahahaha there u go then LOL

yeah isnt it hahahaha hes defo gay he sent me that doggy filter and posted another one with the filter on his story
Reply 18
no i dont. he is very nice but not my type, because he asked me so mnay times to go out with him i dont want to make him think that i like him, but if hes gay then theres no problem in explaining anything we can just chill

Why don't you just be totally honest with him, whether he is gay or not? If , in the unlikely event that he then behaves like an upset child then just move on- you will have dodged a bullet!

Quick Reply