The Student Room Group

What will actually happen if we stay in the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
Ahh more of your crack pot propaganda i see.

Oh what a lovely insightful, detailed and thoughtful reply :rolleyes:.

What's you're opinion on what I said in #17 and #18?

Do you have any opinions on a solution to the brexit impasse or what would happen if brexit was cancelled?
Original post by Napp
Ahh more of your crack pot propaganda i see.

I do admit that those things aren't part of the Lisbon treaty, but your lot has a lot more to answer for. Food shortages, no medicine, anarchy, asteroids hitting Britain, 25% inflation, no electricity for a week, super-gonohrea outbreaks. And people wonder why ”17 million feck offs” gets sung a lot.
Original post by LiberOfLondon
I do admit that those things aren't part of the Lisbon treaty, but your lot has a lot more to answer for. Food shortages, no medicine, anarchy, asteroids hitting Britain, 25% inflation, no electricity for a week, super-gonohrea outbreaks. And people wonder why ”17 million feck offs” gets sung a lot.

So do I, but to add to your list, No clean water, 40% reduction throughput via ports and even the end of western civilization :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by LiberOfLondon

Who is "my lot" sorry?
Either way theres a difference between the rational strategy of hoping for the best but expecting the worst and the utterly moronic position of brexiteers in prattling on about the sunlit uplands and how 'people will be knocking down our door for trade deals'. Say what you want about the so called project fear but infinitely more of it has come true (and likely will come true) than the pipe dream simple minded brexstremists sold/bought.
This is a perfect illustration of the gullibility of a lot of people who voted to leave. These false-facts were touted by UKIP and others before the 2016 referendum and have been widely debunked many times over - I can't believe people are actually still falling for it. It's rather sad that there are so many people in the country who frankly lack the either the critical thinking ability or intellectual capacity to do any research for themselves to realise when they're being lied to, and don't even bother checking the credibility of the sources of information they're reading from letalone checking to verify whether it's actually true or not.
Reply 25
Original post by winterscoming
It's rather sad that there are so many people in the country who frankly lack the either the critical thinking ability or intellectual capacity to do any research for themselves to realise when they're being lied to, and don't even bother checking the credibility of the sources of information they're reading from letalone checking to verify whether it's actually true or not.

Sad but, alas, unsurprising.
Original post by winterscoming
This is a perfect illustration of the gullibility of a lot of people who voted to leave. These false-facts were touted by UKIP and others before the 2016 referendum and have been widely debunked many times over - I can't believe people are actually still falling for it. It's rather sad that there are so many people in the country who frankly lack the either the critical thinking ability or intellectual capacity to do any research for themselves to realise when they're being lied to, and don't even bother checking the credibility of the sources of information they're reading from letalone checking to verify whether it's actually true or not.

Oh dear, another one too eager to throw insults to reinforce self point of view to read the last paragraph!

I had you for slightly more intellect, it does not surprise me some others cannot assimilate text but surely you can.

I refer you to #17 and #18
Original post by Napp
Sad but, alas, unsurprising.

Another insightful, detailed and thoughtful reply . You seem to of missed #21, a sheer coincidental oversight I'm sure :wink:
No response, aww what a surprise :wink:
Lots of new mounted policemen... well, he did promise more police, lol.
Original post by Burton Bridge
The question remainers live to dodge, I found this on Facebook, copy paste from below.

WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THE LISBON TREATY, THE TREATY THAT COMES INTO FORCE 2020, ITS WORSE THAN THE SO CALLED DEAL, IF 99% OF THE BRITISH THINK TERESA MAYS DEAL IS BAD, JUST LOOK AT THE LISBON TREATY. PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW, LEAVERS AND REMAIN
..“What will actually happen if we stay in the EU” is a question no remainer will ever answer but here it is warts and all.
Check it out if you wish ——>>
1: The UK along with all existing members of the EU lose their abstention veto in 2020 as laid down in the Lisbon Treaty when the system changes to that of majority acceptance with no abstentions or veto’s being allowed.
2: All member nations will become states of the new federal nation of the EU by 2022 as clearly laid out in the Lisbon treaty with no exceptions or veto’s.
3: All member states must adopt the Euro by 2022 and any new member state must do so within 2 years of joining the EU as laid down in the Lisbon treaty.
4: The London stock exchange will move to Frankfurt in 2020 and be integrated into the EU stock exchange resulting in a loss of 200,000 plus jobs in the UK because of the relocation. (This has already been pre-agreed and is only on a holding pattern due to the Brexit negotiations, which if Brexit does happen, the move is fully cancelled - but if not and the UK remains a member it’s full steam ahead for the move.)
5: The EU Parliament and ECJ become supreme over all legislative bodies of the UK.
6: The UK will adopt 100% of whatever the EU Parliament and ECJ lays down without any means of abstention or veto, negating the need for the UK to have the Lords or even the Commons as we know it today.
7: The UK will NOT be able to make its own trade deals.
8: The UK will NOT be able to set its own trade tariffs.
9 The UK will NOT be able to set its own trade quotas.
10: The UK loses control of its fishing rights
11: The UK loses control of its oil and gas rights
12: The UK loses control of its borders and enters the Schengen region by 2022 - as clearly laid down in the Lisbon treaty
13: The UK loses control of its planning legislation
14: The UK loses control of its armed forces including its nuclear deterrent
15: The UK loses full control of its taxation policy
16: The UK loses the ability to create its own laws and to implement them
17: The UK loses its standing in the Commonwealths
18: The UK loses control of any provinces or affiliated nations e.g.: Falklands, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar etc
19: The UK loses control of its judicial system
20: The UK loses control of its international policy
21: The UK loses full control of its national policy
22: The UK loses its right to call itself a nation in its own right.
23: The UK loses control of its space exploration program
24: The UK loses control of its Aviation and Sea lane jurisdiction
25: The UK loses its rebate in 2020 as laid down in the Lisbon treaty
26: The UK’s contribution to the EU is set to increase by an average of 1.2bn pa and by 2.3bn pa by 2020
This is the future that the youths of today think we stole from them?
They should be on their knees thanking us for saving them from being turned into Orwellian automatons!
Forget Deals no deals its time for remainers and brexiteers to unite and see whats coming before its to late. This is the whole reason they are dragging brexit out. So we can get to 2020 then we have no choices anynore.

There we go, unfortunately the writer of the above is not 100% accurate because we are already signed up to the Lisbon treaty I believe but the question of what will happen if we remain is a very important one m, every remainer is currently ducking

1. Why should any remainer feel responsible to some garbage written on Facebook? Some of this **** is so glaringly false, I can't even imagine how you would describe it as mearly "not 100% accurate"; almost none of it is accurate.

2. We ourselves actually had a discussion on what would happen if we remain. The answer was either nothing or another referendum if there's a future treaty change. So much for "every remainer is currently ducking".
this sums up a lot of Brexit voters tbh :bird:
No response, aww what a surprise :wink:

Facebook- where a picture advocating violence or of guns is OK, but a woman's nipple causes a major breakdown. Hardly a reliable source of information.
guy writing the post must have been smoking some strong stuff :giggle:
Original post by SHallowvale
1. Why should any remainer feel responsible to some garbage written on Facebook? Some of this **** is so glaringly false, I can't even imagine how you would describe it as mearly "not 100% accurate"; almost none of it is accurate.

2. We ourselves actually had a discussion on what would happen if we remain. The answer was either nothing or another referendum if there's a future treaty change. So much for "every remainer is currently ducking".

1) some of it is partly true, some of it is as true as 'the punishment budget.

2) lots of things will change if we revoke, we cannot simply just pretend the last 3 years never happened. Instead of picking on the facebook page why don't you concentrate on my opinion in later posts? Like #17 and #18
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by barnetlad
Facebook- where a picture advocating violence or of guns is OK, but a woman's nipple causes a major breakdown. Hardly a reliable source of information.

I refer you to #27
1) some of it is partly true, some of it is as true as 'the punishment budget.

2) lots of things will change if we revoke, we cannot simply just pretend the last 3 years never happened. Instead of picking on the facebook page why don't you concentrate on my opinion in later posts? Like #17 and #18

1. Doesn't change the fact that almost all of it is total garbage. I'm honestly surprised you would even share something like this given how pitifully stupid it is. One of the points may as well just say 'All cats and dogs will be killed in 2022 as laid down in the Lisbon Treaty'.

2. What will change if we revoke? There would be a public backlash from leavers (and perhaps some remainers) but as far as the law is concerned nothing would change. We'd continue on under current UK/EU law and if any changes are to be made to the latter it'll require a referendum. If you have a point then say it, don't just tell me to refer to a separate conversation you had with someone else.

2. What will change if we revoke? There would be a public backlash from leavers (and perhaps some remainers) but as far as the law is concerned nothing would change. We'd continue on under current UK/EU law and if any changes are to be made to the latter it'll require a referendum. If you have a point then say it, don't just tell me to refer to a separate conversation you had with someone else.

I don’t think you are being fair to BB.

Realistically, there is no way that Cameron’s “Treaty Lock”, the European Union Act 2011, which requires a UK referendum before any treaty changes, will survive.

Furthermore, most substantive harmonisation does not require a treaty change. The single market in services has a very long way to go. Frankly, it is likely that most professions will see radical reorganisation within a few years.

In the UK, generally unlike either the US and the rest of Europe, only professional titles are protected. Very few professional functions are restricted and those are mostly medical. It other words you cannot call yourself an architect without the right to the title but there is nothing to stop you designing buildings, and many thousands do.

At the moment a few professional titles are portable around Europe but there are massive in-built restrictive practices favouring those with domestic qualifications. For most Europeans it is easier to cross-qualify in the receiving jurisdiction rather than continue to be regulated under the home regulator.

If you are an Irish dentist, you should be able to set up shop in Turin, without needing to cross-qualify in Italy. However, if you are an Italian patient, you should be able to complain about a poor dentist to the regulator in Dublin as easily as complaining to the regulator in Turin or Rome.

None of this is going to happen without massive disruption to the way things are now done. The UK hasn’t felt this since the 1980s changes to farming, fishing, manufacturing and the City.

Consider what has happened to academia from 2005 with the Bologna process. In most European countries, but not the UK, the higher education qualification system created since the late 19th century was simply torn up and reconstructed along the lines of the Commonwealth system.
Original post by nulli tertius
I don’t think you are being fair to BB.

Realistically, there is no way that Cameron’s “Treaty Lock”, the European Union Act 2011, which requires a UK referendum before any treaty changes, will survive.

Furthermore, most substantive harmonisation does not require a treaty change. The single market in services has a very long way to go. Frankly, it is likely that most professions will see radical reorganisation within a few years.

In the UK, generally unlike either the US and the rest of Europe, only professional titles are protected. Very few professional functions are restricted and those are mostly medical. It other words you cannot call yourself an architect without the right to the title but there is nothing to stop you designing buildings, and many thousands do.

At the moment a few professional titles are portable around Europe but there are massive in-built restrictive practices favouring those with domestic qualifications. For most Europeans it is easier to cross-qualify in the receiving jurisdiction rather than continue to be regulated under the home regulator.

If you are an Irish dentist, you should be able to set up shop in Turin, without needing to cross-qualify in Italy. However, if you are an Italian patient, you should be able to complain about a poor dentist to the regulator in Dublin as easily as complaining to the regulator in Turin or Rome.

None of this is going to happen without massive disruption to the way things are now done. The UK hasn’t felt this since the 1980s changes to farming, fishing, manufacturing and the City.

Consider what has happened to academia from 2005 with the Bologna process. In most European countries, but not the UK, the higher education qualification system created since the late 19th century was simply torn up and reconstructed along the lines of the Commonwealth system.

Why wouldn't the European Union Act 2011 survive?

What disruption will happen if a changes to professional recognition/organisation take place? I'm vaguely familiar with the Bologna process. Can you explain what the problems of that were and what problems it causes for us now?

I'm aware that non-tariff barriers in the Single Market can be dismantled/taken down under the current treaties. My point to BB was that the limits of this would remain the same if we revoked. In other words, what is currently law within the EU will remain the same. In particular, the long list of scary things he posted in the OP won't happen. Removing non-tariff barriers is a rather tame outcome/future for us in the EU compared to what they're trying to suggest could happen.
(edited 4 years ago)
1. Doesn't change the fact that almost all of it is total garbage. I'm honestly surprised you would even share something like this given how pitifully stupid it is. One of the points may as well just say 'All cats and dogs will be killed in 2022 as laid down in the Lisbon Treaty'.

1) :rofl: true! Yes I can understand the surprise, I'll explain why. This is a thread was worded in my own words about 4/5 months ago it got to about 3 pages of reasonable, non confrontational debate with people TSR decided it did not like it and removed it with no reason or explanation. Therefore I did this as a back door to the question, if you look at my replies I keep referring people too (which are again being ignored) these are the points I actually wish to discuss, I've been clear, the OP was just a way I could ask them with remain getting the upper hand, and the thread staying up.

So far @nulli tertius is the only one who is talking about what will ACTUALLY happen if we remain, the OP wont actually happen we all agree but, what will? If you think that's nothing, you are very mistaken.

2) Refer to point above and refer to #17 and #18 again just like I have to @Napp @barnetlad @ByEeek and @winterscoming and they have ignored it. I must admit I do enjoy watching remainer belittlement while missing the point also :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending