The Student Room Group

Suitable/easiest Cambridge college?

I am an international prospective student from Asia.
I am intending to apply for Cambridge after one year completion of BA degree in my home country in order to meet the entry requirement.
Although I am not classified as mature student, I am already 20 years old.

In this case, what is my suitable Cambridge colleges in terms of policies/concepts of colleges and statistical offer rate?
Or, should I click “open application”?
I know there are four mature colleges in Cambridge.

In fact there are little information about colleges in my country, so let me know details.
In terms of chances of getting in to the university as a whole, it doesn't matter which college you apply to. The pooling system reallocates applicants from oversubscribed colleges to undersubscribed ones, which means overall offer rates should be the same everywhere.

So you should choose between colleges based on things like size, old/new and location rather than trying to optimise your chance of offer. If you're that bothered about those factors you can make an open application and you will be arbitrarily assigned to a college. But note that if you will be classed as a mature student (aged 21 by the time you start the course) and make an open application it's likely you will be assigned to a mature college, so don't make one if you don't want that.
Reply 2
Original post by sweeneyrod
In terms of chances of getting in to the university as a whole, it doesn't matter which college you apply to. The pooling system reallocates applicants from oversubscribed colleges to undersubscribed ones, which means overall offer rates should be the same everywhere.

So you should choose between colleges based on things like size, old/new and location rather than trying to optimise your chance of offer. If you're that bothered about those factors you can make an open application and you will be arbitrarily assigned to a college. But note that if you will be classed as a mature student (aged 21 by the time you start the course) and make an open application it's likely you will be assigned to a mature college, so don't make one if you don't want that.

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I entirely understood there is no statistical advantage among colleges.

As for mature students, UCAS defines them as 21 or older applicants who DID NOT GO TO UNIS because of gap year and so on.

In comparison to above, I have already entered the university in my home country even though I will be 21 years old by the time study in the UK starts.

In this case, am I classified as mature student?
Original post by Hinatazaka

As for mature students, UCAS defines them as 21 or older applicants who DID NOT GO TO UNIS because of gap year and so on.

In comparison to above, I have already entered the university in my home country even though I will be 21 years old by the time study in the UK starts.

Good question, I don't know. Ask in the admissions tutors thread, I'm sure they can give you an answer.
Original post by Hinatazaka

If you will be 21 or older by 1st October in your chosen year of entry then you would be considered a mature student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending