The Student Room Group

Car insurance cancellation

Hi,
My boyfriend has been told by his insurance company that his insurance is going to be cancelled because his black box has shown that he’s gone over the speed limit however the app he’s got that’s connected to his black box has only told him once that he’s gone over but the company have given 3 or 4 dates where he’s supposedly sped. They’ve said they’ve sent emails that he has never received or seen.
They’ve said they’ve put a cancellation policy in place but his insurance won’t be actually cancelled by them until Saturday.
If he cancelled with them before Saturday, would it be still seen as they’ve cancelled him?
Reply 1
He just needs to suck it up and cancel before they do. He could try and fight it, but if he loses then he'll have a cancelled policy on his history.

From other discussions on here, if you get ahead of them and cancel your policy before they cancel it, it won't go down as a cancelled policy on your history and you won't have to disclose it to other insurers. I think they do it this way because of the loophole - they're basically saying they don't want to insure you any more but they don't want to black mark your history if they can help it.

Black boxes suuuuuuck. Avoid them if at all possible.
Reply 2
Original post by ellahyatt1407
Hi,
My boyfriend has been told by his insurance company that his insurance is going to be cancelled because his black box has shown that he’s gone over the speed limit however the app he’s got that’s connected to his black box has only told him once that he’s gone over but the company have given 3 or 4 dates where he’s supposedly sped. They’ve said they’ve sent emails that he has never received or seen.
They’ve said they’ve put a cancellation policy in place but his insurance won’t be actually cancelled by them until Saturday.
If he cancelled with them before Saturday, would it be still seen as they’ve cancelled him?

Oh that's where this week's "my insurance got cancelled for speeding with a black box" thread - I was getting worried we wouldn't have one this week.
Original post by IWMTom
Oh that's where this week's "my insurance got cancelled for speeding with a black box" thread - I was getting worried we wouldn't have one this week.

If he’d actually been speeding I wouldn’t even bother asking, unfortunately his black box has been playing up the entire time and after digging deeper it looks like the company he’s with are pretty much scammers.
Thanks for the snarky comment though, much appreciated
Hi,

If i were him id go ahead and cancel it before they do.
If HE cancels it he wont have to declare it. But if THEY cancel it he will do.
Reply 5
If he’d actually been speeding I wouldn’t even bother asking, unfortunately his black box has been playing up the entire time and after digging deeper it looks like the company he’s with are pretty much scammers.

Yes.. I'm sure that's completely true...
the app he’s got that’s connected to his black box has only told him once that he’s gone over

If he’d actually been speeding I wouldn’t even bother asking

Was he speeding then? To be clear, I don't support cancelling of policies over mild speeding, especially where pedestrians are not expected.

I read it more as general annoyance at how these policies are managed and people being surprised when this happens, despite persistent threads on it, rather than a personal dig. Anyone that had researched this type of policy on here would not be surprised by this, and would know to cancel it themselves.
Original post by RogerOxon
Was he speeding then?To be clear, I don't support cancelling of policies over mild speeding, especially where pedestrians are not expected.

I read it more as general annoyance at how these policies are managed and people being surprised when this happens, despite persistent threads on it, rather than a personal dig. Anyone that had researched this type of policy on here would not be surprised by this, and would know to cancel it themselves.

No, on one of the days they claimed he sped I was in the car and he hadn't.
It looks like a lot of people have had similar experiences with the company, he hasn’t had 30 days notice either so we’re not sure where he stands.
Reply 8
It looks like a lot of people have had similar experiences with the company, he hasn’t had 30 days notice either so we’re not sure where he stands.

You were monitoring the speedo every second were you? No? The box was. Whether he meant to speed or not, he did.
Original post by IWMTom
You were monitoring the speedo every second were you? No? The box was. Whether he meant to speed or not, he did.

No, of course I didn’t.
But where they claim he sped is a 50, and I was watching how fast he was going then and to actually do 50 there would be dangerous- he was doing about 35 at top and then down to 20.
Like I’ve said, many people have had the same issue and we’ve realised the company is a scam. He’s going to cancel his policy before they do.

Insurance companies don’t need to give 30 days notice to cancel a policy FYI.

Cancelling his policy before they do is a grey area, but should mean he doesn’t have to declare a cancellation.

My question is why isn’t he on here finding out for himself, instead of you doing the work for him?

If he'd had a dashcam, one that shows your speed, date and time, and if he'd downloaded the videos to a computer, then he could have gone back to his insurance company and said "When exactly was I speeding?.. Because my dashcam clearly shows that I wasn't at that time and day"

OK it's a bit late for that now. But it's something he can do for his next insurance.

And something that anyone else in a similar situation can do.

I'd strongly recommend that everyone has a dashcam. And that they download and back up their videos if they are having any issues with their black box.

Quick Reply

Latest