The Student Room Group

Low UCAT score

If I got an average UCAT socre of 620 and a band 3 in SJT,
Would it still be possible to apply to Sheffield, Liverpool and Nottingham and get an offer?
I got all 8's and 9's for IGCSE.
My back up backup is UCLAN.

Scroll to see replies

yes , your gcses would make up for it
Reply 2
Original post by lolololol1235e1

Thank god, I really want to go to Sheffield.
Reply 3
So I want to apply for medicine this year
I've done my UCAT getting an average score of 625 and band 3 in SJT
I have all 8's and 9's in my IGCSE
My alevel prediction on the other hand isn't that good

Chemistry= A
Biology= C
Math= C
EPQ= A*
I'm still negotiating to have my predictions changed from ACC to AAB or even possibly AAA. (I just have to show a lot of effort this first term)

Which Uni's should I look at? I really want to apply to Sheffield, Nottingham and Liverpool
You can probably recite offers from the non-major cities medical schools like Plymouth, Bradford & Newcastle (these are possible medical schools, look on their site for 2020/21 entry requirements).
Original post by Maxi101
If I got an average UCAT socre of 620 and a band 3 in SJT,
Would it still be possible to apply to Sheffield, Liverpool and Nottingham and get an offer?
I got all 8's and 9's for IGCSE.
My back up backup is UCLAN.

Original post by lolololol1235e1

Original post by Maxi101
Thank god, I really want to go to Sheffield.

Sheffield is unlikely to interview you as you have need a ucat in the 70-75th percentile in the last few years.

What is your score breakdown for each subtest?and I can give you a score for Nottingham.

liverpool you might be alright, ucat cutoffs have ranged from 600-640 I believe
Reply 6
Original post by Sososnake
Sheffield is unlikely to interview you as you have need a ucat in the 70-75th percentile in the last few years.

What is your score breakdown for each subtest?and I can give you a score for Nottingham.

liverpool you might be alright, ucat cutoffs have ranged from 600-640 I believe

For VR: 550
DM & QR: 620
AR: 690
Original post by Maxi101
For VR: 550
DM & QR: 620
AR: 690

I think your score is 44/56 for Nottingham, which may be enough but would be risky due to their newer selection method with no ps scoring
Reply 8
I think your score is 44/56 for Nottingham, which may be enough but would be risky due to their newer selection method with no ps scoring

So would my safe options for university be: Liverpool, Nottingham and UCLAN (UCLAN doesn't grade UCAT so that would deffinitely be my insurance) and Sheffield (I might just still apply to sheffield cause it is my dream uni and it doesn't hurt trying)
Reply 9
Original post by Maxi101
So I want to apply for medicine this year
I've done my UCAT getting an average score of 625 and band 3 in SJT
I have all 8's and 9's in my IGCSE
My alevel prediction on the other hand isn't that good

Chemistry= A
Biology= C
Math= C
EPQ= A*
I'm still negotiating to have my predictions changed from ACC to AAB or even possibly AAA. (I just have to show a lot of effort this first term)

Which Uni's should I look at? I really want to apply to Sheffield, Nottingham and Liverpool

None of these will accept you without at least AAB predicted (AAA for Nottingham, I think)
Sheffield have had a UCAT cut off around the 73rd cential in previous years, so check where you are on the deciles when they come out. Last year you were around 53rd centile, so would not have made their cut off
What is your sore at Nottingham? I make it a maximum of 45, which may just miss the cut off
If you have 9 iGCSEs then Liverpool may well be a good choice. They score GCSEs then UCAT, cut off last 4 years has been 605 (2019 entry), 615 (last year), 640 and 625.

Otherwise look at Leicester, QUB, Cardiff (if you have 9 iGCSEs), UEA, Plymouth, ARU, Aston, KMMS, Edge Hill, SGUL had a cut off of 622.5 for 2019 but has been 630-650 previous years

The above advice applies to UK school leavers, if you are international, they may use different cut offs and selection processes (though Sheffield still had the same cut off, Ithink)
Reply 10
Original post by TheRealSaifali
You can probably recite offers from the non-major cities medical schools like Plymouth, Bradford & Newcastle (these are possible medical schools, look on their site for 2020/21 entry requirements).

Bradford does not have a medical school? Newcastle would be considered a pretty major city, I think
Reply 11
Original post by GANFYD
None of these will accept you without at least AAB predicted (AAA for Nottingham, I think)
Sheffield have had a UCAT cut off around the 73rd cential in previous years, so check where you are on the deciles when they come out. Last year you were around 53rd centile, so would not have made their cut off
What is your sore at Nottingham? I make it a maximum of 45, which may just miss the cut off
If you have 9 iGCSEs then Liverpool may well be a good choice. They score GCSEs then UCAT, cut off last 4 years has been 605 (2019 entry), 615 (last year), 640 and 625.

Otherwise look at Leicester, QUB, Cardiff (if you have 9 iGCSEs), UEA, Plymouth, ARU, Aston, KMMS, Edge Hill, SGUL had a cut off of 622.5 for 2019 but has been 630-650 previous years

The above advice applies to UK school leavers, if you are international, they may use different cut offs and selection processes (though Sheffield still had the same cut off, Ithink)

I could still get my predictions up to an AAA as I have shown improvements. So could this help my options?
Original post by Maxi101
So would my safe options for university be: Liverpool, Nottingham and UCLAN (UCLAN doesn't grade UCAT so that would deffinitely be my insurance) and Sheffield (I might just still apply to sheffield cause it is my dream uni and it doesn't hurt trying)

My guess. Liverpool is fairly safe, a bit risky. Nottingham is a little bit riskier and Sheffield is very risky. But it’s your application so you decide
Reply 13
Original post by Maxi101
I could still get my predictions up to an AAA as I have shown improvements. So could this help my options?

Yes. Most of the med schools mentionaed above require AAA predicted, the only ones who don't are Liverpool, Cardiff, KMMS and Sheffield (if you have an EPQ at A or above). QUB usually require A*AA but I think they will accept AAA with an EPQ.
Reply 14
My guess. Liverpool is fairly safe, a bit risky. Nottingham is a little bit riskier and Sheffield is very risky. But it’s your application so you decide

Oh so should I switch Sheffield for Aston
Original post by Maxi101
Oh so should I switch Sheffield for Aston

Your choice, I don’t know about the Aston scoring system so post to the mega thread with all of your stats
Original post by GANFYD
Bradford does not have a medical school? Newcastle would be considered a pretty major city, I think

Sorry, I meant studying at Bradford clinical science course where upon completion of 70% overall and no fails in any modules, you can be selected to progress onto MBChb at Sheffield.
Reply 17
Help!

My average UCAT score is 625 with a band 3 in SJT
I got all 8's and 9's for IGCSE and my predictions are AAB (I could probably improve it for AAA)

Which universities can I apply to?
Reply 18
Original post by TheRealSaifali
Sorry, I meant studying at Bradford clinical science course where upon completion of 70% overall and no fails in any modules, you can be selected to progress onto MBChb at Sheffield.

You can be selected to apply for an interview......
No guarantees of a place at all, unfortunately
Reply 19
How do I do that?

Quick Reply