The Student Room Group

GCSEs for vet med??

Im currently doing my A-levels, two of which are biology and chemistry. I know the third subject can be of any choice in most universities, however I've realised a lot of applicants have taken maths or physics as a third.All the universities state that you need a minimum of a grade B in GCSE maths however all the applicants I've known of have an A or A*. Did you/ are aware of anyone who actually got in with a B in gcse maths and hasn't taken maths as an a-level?
I don't think a lot of applicants do take maths or physics as their third A-level. The majority of ones I can think of off the top of my head have taken geography, psychology, art or a language. And of those, a good smattering are bound not to have got an A at GCSE maths. These are entry requirements, not things you need to exceed, so as long as you meet the minimum stated, I would suggest concentrating on the things that ARE in your control now and will enhance your application in other ways, like making sure you have a good range of work experience and are able to talk about what you have learnt and your passion for the subject :smile:
The only thing you need to worry about are A-levels. Biology, Chemistry and a third subject that's accepted. Don't go for something you'll find difficult just becuase it would "look" better. A in geography would be just as good as an A in physics or maths. It really doesn't matter.
If anything I would even recommend going for something easier/something you enjoy, as then your chances of geting AAA are bigger :smile:

Same for gsce's. Unless the uni specifically states that they take them into consideration when making their decisions, you only need to meet the minimum requirements and exceeding them won't make a difference.
Original post by LMMT
Im currently doing my A-levels, two of which are biology and chemistry. I know the third subject can be of any choice in most universities, however I've realised a lot of applicants have taken maths or physics as a third.All the universities state that you need a minimum of a grade B in GCSE maths however all the applicants I've known of have an A or A*. Did you/ are aware of anyone who actually got in with a B in gcse maths and hasn't taken maths as an a-level?

I got grade B in GCSE maths and took art as my third a-level subject. I got accepted to all four of the vet schools I applied to (RVC, Nottingham, Liverpool and Surrey). If you've got the work experience and right mindset, a B will not hold you back in the slightest.
Original post by brrrigid
I got grade B in GCSE maths and took art as my third a-level subject. I got accepted to all four of the vet schools I applied to (RVC, Nottingham, Liverpool and Surrey). If you've got the work experience and right mindset, a B will not hold you back in the slightest.

I second this - obviously having an A is preferential but I also attained a B at GCSE maths and chemistry and still got multiple offers and am now in third year, it is not the end of your road to vet school.
Reply 5
Original post by brrrigid

That's great to know, thanks. Good job on getting accepted to all 4 wow!
Reply 6
Original post by VMD100
I second this - obviously having an A is preferential but I also attained a B at GCSE maths and chemistry and still got multiple offers and am now in third year, it is not the end of your road to vet school.

Im glad to hear that, I was worried my B would hold me back. So nice to hear of people who've had success without the usual "straight A's" at gcse everyone's talking about haha
Reply 7
Original post by Nessie162
The only thing you need to worry about are A-levels. Biology, Chemistry and a third subject that's accepted. Don't go for something you'll find difficult just becuase it would "look" better. A in geography would be just as good as an A in physics or maths. It really doesn't matter.
If anything I would even recommend going for something easier/something you enjoy, as then your chances of geting AAA are bigger :smile:

Same for gsce's. Unless the uni specifically states that they take them into consideration when making their decisions, you only need to meet the minimum requirements and exceeding them won't make a difference.

Thanks! Thats good then since I'm taking psychology as my third subject just need to focus on my a levels now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending