The Student Room Group

Preferred subjects for Law in Uni

As I am planning to do Law in Uni are Maths,Law and Physics the right subjects to pick and what are the standard requirements for unis near me (north east wales) or abroad if it’s cheaper. And the nearest uni which is Glyndwr does not offer it sadly and I am confused if they accept Baccalaureate which is mandatory in Wales.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TarikAtakan
As I am planning to do Law in Uni are Maths,Law and Physics the right subjects to pick and what are the standard requirements for unis near me (north east wales) or abroad if it’s cheaper. And the nearest uni which is Glyndwr does not offer it sadly and I am confused if they accept Baccalaureate which is mandatory in Wales.

There are no specifics, but if I was advising I would say do the subjects you can get good grades in with least effort.
Get into the best uni you can.

There are some preferred subjects for higher end unis, but yours are fine by any measure.

You need grades.
You should also look at which unis accept welsh bacc.

Law isnt required either and something like Lit or History is just as good.
Best grades and then best uni you can get into that meets your needs.

These are the unis in Wales that offer Law.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?r=wales&s=Law

You will have to check on each uni website to confirm that they accept the Welsh Bacc but Cardiff do so I imagine the others will also
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
There are no specifics, but if I was advising I would say do the subjects you can get good grades in with least effort.
Get into the best uni you can.

There are some preferred subjects for higher end unis, but yours are fine by any measure.

You need grades.
You should also look at which unis accept welsh bacc.

Law isnt required either and something like Lit or History is just as good.
Best grades and then best uni you can get into that meets your needs.

What’s the best uni near north east wales as preferably I don’t want to pay for accommodation and my local Glyndwr uni don’t offer law which would have been the best option as it’s so near.
What’s the best uni near north east wales as preferably I don’t want to pay for accommodation and my local Glyndwr uni don’t offer law which would have been the best option as it’s so near.

I thought you were going to Turkey or Germany?

UK Unis select on your grades for entrance.
Surely a map and then draw an area round your house as to how far you are prepared to travel will help select your uni?
NE Wales isnt known for Law schools.

So it's Turkey, Germany or North Wales :confused:

Bangor is probably your closest uni offering Law - whether it is commutable I wouldn't know.
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
So it's Turkey, Germany or North Wales :confused:

Bangor is probably your closest uni offering Law - whether it is commutable I wouldn't know.

Bangor is an hour and a half out in the car.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
I thought you were going to Turkey or Germany?

UK Unis select on your grades for entrance.
Surely a map and then draw an area round your house as to how far you are prepared to travel will help select your uni?
NE Wales isnt known for Law schools.

It’s a shame wrexham doesn’t offer law and I’m of Turkish descent and born in wales but Germany was a example of a European country with free uni in English.
Bangor is an hour and a half out in the car.

It's up to you but I wouldn't consider that commutable on a daily basis, personally. You will probably need to move away from home to attend uni (or choose a different subject) but at least that opens up more choices. Cardiff and Swansea are the two best unis in Wales for Law.
I was gonna reply, but don't want to get into the quagmire of these weird questions by this particular user which make no sense.
It's up to you but I wouldn't consider that commutable on a daily basis, personally. You will probably need to move away from home to attend uni (or choose a different subject) but at least that opens up more choices. Cardiff and Swansea are the two best unis in Wales for Law.

How good is Chester
How good is Chester

You keep asking questions but if you want to do well in a Law degree you will need to enjoy doing your own research. It’s easy enough to find the answer to where Chester sits in the league tables and you need to attend Open Days at places like Chester and Bangor if you want to find out if they are good choices for you
Original post by Notoriety
I was gonna reply, but don't want to get into the quagmire of these weird questions by this particular user which make no sense.

Sorry for phrasing the questions in a stupid way
I though there may have been someone who's
actually been to Chester uni instead of just league tables.
You keep asking questions but if you want to do well in a Law degree you will need to enjoy doing your own research. It’s easy enough to find the answer to where Chester sits in the league tables and you need to attend Open Days at places like Chester and Bangor if you want to find out if they are good choices for you

I’m a first year A level student so can I go to open days and Chester is 93rd for Law and I’ll look at Bangor after as Chester is the only non accommodation requiring uni so far as the others are far.
I’m a first year A level student so can I go to open days and Chester is 93rd for Law and I’ll look at Bangor after as Chester is the only non accommodation requiring uni so far as the others are far.

Yes you can go to Open Days in Year 12, no problem
Yes you can go to Open Days in Year 12, no problem

Thanks a lot I’ll have to do my research then.
Many law degrees, although they do not explicitly state a preference, do prefer essay-based subjects and subjects which require a lot of critical thinking and verbal reasoning. The best ones for this are usually English Literature, History, Politics, MFLs, Classics, etc. These are just a general guide, and most universities will not expect three of these subjects, though having at least one of these, especially English Literature and History, will give you the same sort of skills that would be expected of a law degree. Maths and other sciences are very useful in terms of problem-solving and analytical skills, which will be very pertinent to your degree, but a more competitive application will have at least one essay-based subject, if not more. What may be of particular use to you is pursuing an EPQ, looking into an area of Law and showing further commitment to the subject, as well as joining debating societies and other, related extra-curriculars and work experience. It is generally not advised to take A-Level Law as many universities prefer to take a 'blank-slate' approach, and they are aware that not every student will have access to this more niche subject.
Original post by robertgallacher
It is generally not advised to take A-Level Law as many universities prefer to take a 'blank-slate' approach, and they are aware that not every student will have access to this more niche subject.

Oh no, not this fallacy again!!

It is fine to pick A level Law if students want to, all unis accept it

https://www.aqa.org.uk/news/university-support-for-a-level-law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending